2nd Trimester

fresh salmon grocery store????

Did any one eat salmon (once from a restaurant and 3 times from store) on occasion (had two large salmons within two weeks, eaten 4 times in 5 1/2 months) and baby is okay. My family is freaking me out telling me I'm going to harm the baby :( I live in Omaha so chances are it's not wild but farm grown. 

Re: fresh salmon grocery store????

• <---Eats salmon all the time
  • etoille said:
    I mean hey I would listen to your family.  That's what you said you'd do in figuring out whether parents throwing their own baby shower would do - right?  If a husband says throwing his wife a baby shower is ok, then it's ok.  Same logic applies here.  So I would freak out since that is what your family is telling you that's what to do. 

I dont' know why you're asking us this question.  

%obtuseness
    no need to be rude to me on my post thanks
  • Loading the player...
  • jhowe59 said:
    etoille said:
    I mean hey I would listen to your family.  That's what you said you'd do in figuring out whether parents throwing their own baby shower would do - right?  If a husband says throwing his wife a baby shower is ok, then it's ok.  Same logic applies here.  So I would freak out since that is what your family is telling you that's what to do. 

%obtuseness
    Also this baby of mine will only have one parent so EXCUSE me for not knowing proper ettiquite 
  • MauiBliss said:
    jhowe59 said:
    Did any one eat salmon (once from a restaurant and 3 times from store) on occasion (had two large salmons within two weeks, eaten 4 times in 5 1/2 months) and baby is okay. My family is freaking me out telling me I'm going to harm the baby :( I live in Omaha so chances are it's not wild but farm grown. 
    You should definitely listen to them. You're doomed. And your baby will likely be born with gills. 

Or, you know, you could google this like a normal person. 
    at first i thought your comment was humorous then i read the unnecessarily sarcastic last line to imply that i;m not a "normal person". I DID google it, thanks. It SAID that FARM raised salmon can have harmful chemicals. therefore i was ASKING mom's  who have actually eaten salmon while pregnant for their advice. 
  • jhowe59 said:
    jhowe59 said:
    etoille said:

%obtuseness
    Also this baby of mine will only have one parent so EXCUSE me for not knowing proper ettiquite 

Some how I am not shocked by this fact
  • wow i'm mindblown. okay guys. i went on the defense because i got three rude comments because of a stupid comment I made about the father of the baby throwing a baby shower i didn't know why it was bad. and I got verbally attacked by a bunch of clearly judgemental mothers. to you guys my comment was clearly distasteful and that is not what i was going for. I am ignorant to the etiquette of baby showers as i haven't had children before. I'm glad that you think you can judge me based on a few comments not knowing anything about me. Idk why that means that i'm playing the victim but i'm glad you feel that way. 
  • Ardmhs83Ardmhs83 member
    edited September 2014
    Salmon is really good for you!  Your family needs to educate themselves better. They also should not comment on what you eat..I'm sure you don't tell them what they can/can't eat. 

Yes, wild salmon is better for you, but I didn't know this with my first pregnancy and ate farm raised and my son is perfect.  

Edited to add info on wild/farm raised salmon...
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Thanks to all who gave helpful advice on eating farm raised salmon while pregnant. 
  • leela02leela02 member
    edited September 2014
    Your family are not your doctor. If you're not sure you should be eating something, ask your doc/midwife. Care providers often give you a list of foods to avoid on your first prenatal visit, if there are any. Some think anything in moderation is fine.

Wild salmon is generally better but it's also more expensive. So if you eat farmed salmon once in a while (or if you don't know if it's wild/farmed because you didn't cook it yourself) it's ok.

I live in Atlanta where all seafood at the store is imported from all over and they are all labeled if they are wild or farmed. Do no grocery stores in Omaha do that?

• Maybe your family is confusing salmon with high mercury fish or the risk of undercooked meats like sushi. I'm sure they don't realize they are uninformed. 

I personally eat salmon (frozen, wild caught, from Costco) at least once a week and have for years. I cook it in a cast iron skillet with about a quarter size amount of olive oil. Its an ideal protein source with omega 3s to support brain health. I have never once come across anything indicating that I could be hurting my baby or my body, if anything the opposite. My midwife was thrilled to learn we eat it at least once a week because otherwise she recommends an omega 3 supplement. 

There are some other things you can do to stay safe during pregnancy if you want to be super vigilant. Wash fruits and veggies very well. Cook your meats well and use a meat thermometer. Don't cross contaminate food by using one cutting board for everything. Don't eat a lot of fish high in mercury, or other items that are very high (canned tomatoes for instance!) Try to eat as much organic as you can. During pregnancy monitor your protein intake - you should get 80-100 grams a day from healthy sources (not fast food). Doing these things will go a lot further towards staying safe than avoiding salmon which is actually really great for you. :) I hope this helps!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Lol.... Please don't get so uptight at these responses. It happens. You don't know these people so don't take what they say to heart. If you have a questions that could possible involve harming your baby I would first google it because the answer is probably on a legit and trusted website and then if you're still not sure call your dr office and ask!!! If you bring these kinds of questions here these ladies will eat you alive. Take my words of advice from experience, I was scolded on a post about my baby names. I was so mad at first but now I just laugh about it.
  • mrs824 said:
    Lol.... Please don't get so uptight at these responses. It happens. You don't know these people so don't take what they say to heart. If you have a questions that could possible involve harming your baby I would first google it because the answer is probably on a legit and trusted website and then if you're still not sure call your dr office and ask!!! If you bring these kinds of questions here these ladies will eat you alive. Take my words of advice from experience, I was scolded on a post about my baby names. I was so mad at first but now I just laugh about it.
    I have been known to learn all my lessons the hard way lol
  • mrs824mrs824 member
    edited September 2014

jhowe59 said:

mrs824 said:

Lol.... Please don't get so uptight at these responses. It happens. You don't know these people so don't take what they say to heart. If you have a questions that could possible involve harming your baby I would first google it because the answer is probably on a legit and trusted website and then if you're still not sure call your dr office and ask!!! If you bring these kinds of questions here these ladies will eat you alive. Take my words of advice from experience, I was scolded on a post about my baby names. I was so mad at first but now I just laugh about it.

Ugh.  Quoting.

So your well thought out advice is to go to the internet before calling your doctor if you're in fear that you are harming your baby?  

Yup. That's my advice. What the hell does it matter to you? You're not the one with a salmon concern that is clearly not life or death.... I'm not going to waste my doctors time with a fish question that you can find a trusted answer on a website. I'm so glad you try SO hard to respond to everything like a smartass. But hey if it makes you feel cool to be snarky on the internet then go for it chick
  • Shit, I eat uncooked salmon weekly. Just slather me in salmon -- pregnancy got a lot better when my doctor said there was no problem with sushi from a trusted place.
    Daisypath Vacation tickersBabyFetus Ticker
    Married 19 October 2013
    TTC since June 2014
    BFP: 3 July 2014
    EDD: Pi Day 2015
  • Not "butthurt" here... Think I've dealt with worse than strangers not liking some name choices.
  • jhowe59jhowe59 member
    edited September 2014
    MauiBliss said:
    Beep beep. Just passing through to humble brag about the amazing salmon sushi I ate this weekend. 

OP, did you figure out the answer to your question?
    yes the general consensus was that I will be ok eating salmon 
  • MauiBliss said:
    We're all going to feel like such assholes when our kids are born with gills.....
    My husband keeps saying that, but whatever, I like swimming and SCUBA diving and he doesn't even know how to swim (and also doesn't eat any fish), so he'd just be jealous of a kid with gills.
    Daisypath Vacation tickersBabyFetus Ticker
    Married 19 October 2013
    TTC since June 2014
    BFP: 3 July 2014
    EDD: Pi Day 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"