February 2015 Moms
Options

Day care deposit

Another Day Care question.  There are only a few in my town and I went to see one on Friday.  It was really great, and we have a recommendation for it from our exterminator as well (we don't know anyone with kids in our area so happy to have gotten that input!).  They do currently have a spot in May/June which is when I think baby will go to daycare.  I'm leaning towards just putting a deposit down even though we haven't looked at other places yet. I don't want that to make me complacent though and not check out other places.  Any thoughts?  The only issues with them really is the cost, but while I think they are the higher end, they are still in my states average.

Re: Day care deposit

• Options
    Can you get the deposit back if you decide to go with a different daycare? Or at least a portion of it?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes actually, as long as I give them notice at least a month in advance.  So there isn't really a downside, I just kindof feel like a slacker semi-committing to the first place I looked at...like I"m not trying hard enough?  This is probably just self inflicted pre-mommy guilt. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If it's refundable, I say go for it. You have enough time yet where if you put the deposit down and decide on another place, you're good to go.

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't even called the DC where baby #2 will likely go. I should probably get on that.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You should definitely check out other places first. I loved the first place I went to. But it's not the place we went with.

Also, about the timing of the spot...I didn't know this as a FTM but STMs with a child already enrolled will have priority over you. Even if they tell you now that they can accommodate a May/June spot they may not honor it. You'll get a spot eventually but you may get pushed back. With my first, I was originally told a late-April spot. We didn't get one until late-June. This time around I talked to them about a spot and they said that I just have to tell them 1 month ahead of time and they'll push other people back to accommodate me.

If the deposit isn't too much then go for it. But they'll likely not refund it. We had a deposit at another place as well and just lost the money on it because we preferred the other place.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Absolutely put down a deposit! If its refundable I think that's a no brainer. :-) We were willing to put down a non-refundable $150 at the first place we looked at b/c we liked it and wanted to make sure that our lo had somewhere we were comfortable with when I had to go back to work.  However, they ended up having a special going so we only paid $30 to hold the spot.  So far we've looked at one other place but still like the first place best.  We have at least one more we plan on checking out at some point.  But it was a huge relief to me, knowing that he has somewhere to go that seems like a great place when we will need it. We can always change our minds but at least we have that peace of mind right now.  You are certainly not a slacker. Hold the spot and continue to browse around at your leisure. :-)

• Options
    In my center its first come first serve so if the deposit is refundable I'd say do it. If you change your mind you can get it back if not you have reserved a spot.
    Pp did bring up a good point in making sure you won't get bumped by parents already in the school.

And you are definitely not a slacker, go with your instincts :) never hurts to look at other places but don't hesitate on this one cause you might loose the spot.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Why not be a stay at home mom? The cost of daycare these days is outrageous and then you have the other factor of having someone else raise your child! I believe any mom can be a stay at home mom, yes you will have to make sacrifices as a family but raising your own child is worth it.  ;)
  • Options
    Your post is idiotic- get over your stay at home mommy self. If it works for you do it, but mind your own business about it.
  • Options
    Haha I was going to leave that as a lovely dead thread :) For all the other posters, I am going to do the deposit since it is refundable, but still check out a few other places in town.  Thanks for the input! 
  • Options
    We ahve looked at 2 places, and I am very happy with both. The deciding factor has been the cost, and we are going with the first place we looked ta. I feel kind of like a slacker too for going to 2 places, liking both, and deciding on 1 before looking at 15 day cares. I say go with your gut, looks up reviews, and see if there is a registration website in your state to check up on their inspections and write ups. 

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    lalans said:
    Yes actually, as long as I give them notice at least a month in advance.  So there isn't really a downside, I just kindof feel like a slacker semi-committing to the first place I looked at...like I"m not trying hard enough?  This is probably just self inflicted pre-mommy guilt. 
    @lalans I would for sure put the deposit down. Daycares here are also hard to come by for newborn spots!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Foodies1 said:
    Why not be a stay at home mom? The cost of daycare these days is outrageous and then you have the other factor of having someone else raise your child! I believe any mom can be a stay at home mom, yes you will have to make sacrifices as a family but raising your own child is worth it.  ;)
    @foodies1 Really? Just really?! Yes "anyone" can be a stay at home mom but they cant always live the life they want to live with one income! I will have three children and if I were to stay home there is no way I would be able to let my children do the things they do now (Competitive dance class, gymnastics, swimming) if I stayed home. So to me, I would rather NOT sacrifice my childrens ability to do extra curricular activities. My kids go to daycare - my daycare lady does NOT raise my children, she simply watches them and cares for them while I work. Oh please dont be so ignorant!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Yup, I'm in the same boat as @chickenonsunday I really like my job and studied for many years in school so that I could do what I do now full time. My husbands income could certainly support us but I am choosing to continue working.  If I change my mind so be it but the plan is for me to work and I do not expect to change my mind. I have no doubt I will still be the primary influence on my child not his daycare provder b/c we will both be very involved parents.

• Options
    @Foodies1 I'm going to send you bills for the health insurance we would be forced to pay for ourselves at a non-discounted, atrocious rate since I apparently have to be a SAHM. Being a SAHM would mean losing allllll of our health benefits.

So yeah, that bill would be on you mmmkkay?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    As a soon to be SAHM, I promise we don't all think like foodies1. Make the choice that's best for your family.
  • Options
    I don't have a choice but to consider daycare. I didn't know I needed to be looking this soon though...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"