May 2015 Moms
Options

Breast vs Formula

13»

Re: Breast vs Formula

• Options
    I nursed DS1 until I 7 weeks pregnant with DS2. My milk dried up and he self weaned (he was 14mo). I am still nursing DS2 (he is 18mo) and will continue until he is no longer interested. I would imagine that he will quit soon, since he is already slowing down - likely due to lack of milk. 

With my first pregnancy, I figured I would give nursing a try and see how it went. I put a lot of effort in getting DS1 to gain weight (visiting the lactation consultant a few times a week until about 5 weeks). After that, I never had any interest in not nursing my children. I appreciate that bond and I think that weaning might be harder on me than on my boys.

I encourage anyone that is interested in nursing to seek help and to continue to seek help from other sources if it is not going well. I find the experience very rewarding.

I work full time, so both boys were also bottle fed with pumped milk. My toddler is still getting a few ounces a day at daycare in a sippy from my frozen stash. I stopped pumping at work last week when I got my BFP.

My two boys are getting a surprise May 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Also, after the initial loss of weight PP, I also gained a bit of weight. In order to keep up with milk production, I had to eat more. If I was below 2000 calories a day, my milk output would decrease and I would know since I was pumping for work. If I wasn't having to pump for work, I may not have noticed the decrease in supply due to lower calories and I may have lost more weight. 

My two boys are getting a surprise May 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    BFing was the hardest thing I've ever done. I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but I struggled with low supply for months and when I went back to work I was constantly stressing because I could barely keep up with the bottles DS would go through.

That being said, I have no regrets and I hope to BF as long as I did (9 months) if not longer with this baby. But, I also won't stress over supplementing earlier if needed.

imageimage

• Options
    shmeell25 said:

I EBF my daughter until she was 1, and am still nursing her at night now. I am hoping to do the same with my next baby.

Hey I'm the same @shmeell25‌ so I'm curious are you noticing a big decrease in your supply yet? And are you super sore? I have to tell my DS, "no teeth!" because I'm extra sensitive.

• Options
    I breastfed Ds till he self weaned at 18 months. Bfing can be hard but so many people just give up without trying which is sad. I struggled for 4 1/2 months....I had over supply, flat nipples, Ds had undiagnosed tongue tie for a month then got it clipped but this caused a bad latch which took almost 4 months to correct, and we got thrush twice!

Even with all the hurdles we went through it never went through my mind to give up and go to formula. It had crossed my mind to EP but finally one day he started latching right so I didn't have to worry about that.
  • Options
    I exclusively pumped for both my kids. My breasts are so big (and kids were so small!) that their noses were covered and I couldn't shake the panic that they'd suffocate. 

My son, once he was bigger, could go back n forth between breast & bottle no problem (convenient on the go!)

I had to start supplementing with Formula at some point because my supply couldn't keep up. 

Whatever floats your boat and your situation! :)

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

@Gismo123 That's great for you, but your post comes off a bit shame-y. You had a lot of struggles and you were able to persevere through it. However, your life is not the same as someone else's and it's not cool to make someone feel bad if they struggled and had to stop nursing for whatever reason. You can be proud of yourself without making others feel bad.

Please point out where I shamed anyone??? All I said was it's sad that people give up without trying. I never once shamed anyone for choosing to use formula if that is what they HAVE to do but so many women are scared into thinking bfing is hard so they give up which is sad.

And your post is pretty judgemental!

Let me also say that I use to love thebump but if I am going to be accused of saying shit I never said then screw it, I don't need people like you trying to make my posts out to what they weren't meant to be.
  • Options
    Notice it's on a different paragraph of MY struggles and was NOT next to the other comment. Once again you trying to cause trouble.

I'm guessing causing trouble makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Mission accomplished.
  • Options
    I'm hardly seeing the connection of @katnhiding‌ causing trouble. I agree with her assessment of your post. I suppose since I didn't try to BF at all that puts me beyond "sad".

IMHO, being so immediately defensive and ready to call out others makes you more likely to be the troublemaker.

• Options
    SS : Basically I will feed my kid, however it works best for us. I have full intention to breastfeed, but the reality is this LO may end up being formula fed, as well, if all things go to hell. So who knows what it will be. I am working on being as informed as possible and have the support system I need to BF. But if that does not work out, then my kid will be formula fed. 
    *bumping under a new name since July 2014*
    Married 9/4/11
    BFP 4/5/09, EDD 12/4/09, m/c
     7/31/09
    BFP 5/27/11, EDD 1/17/12, DS born 1/16/12
    BFP 8/16/14, EED 4/29/15, We are having another BOY!

Lilypie Maternity tickers    image 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage
    Yup. DS is Tommy Pickles! Nothing like living with an escape artist.
    Just another cloth diapering, baby wearing mama.

• Options
    Now that I am finally caught up on reading it all.  

@Gismo123 - The statement you made is judgmental. To say that it is sad women give up is wrong. You do not know other's struggles (or their reason for the choice). While it is great it worked out for you, that is not the case for many women, including myself. It is not a sad choice to give up. Because we are choosing to FEED our children, which is more important than if it is breast milk or formula. And honestly one of the best days in my life as a mom, was the day I came home and threw the pump at my husband and told him to get rid of it and told him I was done. All the stress, frustration and tears that surrounded feeding DS disappeared that day. Feedings were no longer dreaded (by both DS or myself), but were now a time we could connect and bond. I did NOT have to breast feed to get that bond. Next time choose your words more carefully, especially about a topic that is sensitive to many moms. 

@cris0507 : there are a ton of resources available for breastfeeding. As other mentioned check out your local Le Leche Legue (LLL). Do it before baby even comes. As for support for moms who formula feed, your right, the support is few and far between. I absolutely love this blogger though. https://www.fearlessformulafeeder.com/ Lots of great support from fellow formula feeders. 

*bumping under a new name since July 2014*
    Married 9/4/11
    BFP 4/5/09, EDD 12/4/09, m/c
     7/31/09
    BFP 5/27/11, EDD 1/17/12, DS born 1/16/12
    BFP 8/16/14, EED 4/29/15, We are having another BOY!

Lilypie Maternity tickers    image 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage
    Yup. DS is Tommy Pickles! Nothing like living with an escape artist.
    Just another cloth diapering, baby wearing mama.

• Options
    smurf605 said:

Also, after the initial loss of weight PP, I also gained a bit of weight. In order to keep up with milk production, I had to eat more. If I was below 2000 calories a day, my milk output would decrease and I would know since I was pumping for work. If I wasn't having to pump for work, I may not have noticed the decrease in supply due to lower calories and I may have lost more weight. 

I'm thinking this has something to do with my low supply problem. I was starving all the time and could not keep weight on. It was like he was sucking everything out of me. I think next time I'm going to need to find ways to up my calories.

• Options
    I'm still nursing my toddler, so plan is to tandem nurse! 
  • Options
    I will BF, I only made it to 4 months with DD. I didn't try hard enough to continue, and didn't have the knowledge to. With DS I made it to 9 months, he was still getting up 6-7 times a night at that point and I just couldn't do it anymore, I needed sleep. I will try to make it to at least a year with this LO.
    I also pump since I'll go back to work after 12 weeks. And I'm super lucky because I work at a hospital that has a designated pumping room with a sink and glider.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Omg i would die if my 9 month old was getting g up 6-7 times a night. That is like fresh out the chute newborn shenanigans.
    This.

• Options
    I breast fed my son till he was 18 months. He had a bottle with breast milk in it when at daycare. I breast fed my daughter till she was 10 months and I got under so much personal stress I dried up and she couldn't get anymore so we switched her right to whole milk. I am going to breastfeed again, its sooooo much cheeper and easier when we go out that I don't have to warm a bottle or remember one.
  • Options
    I'm curious as well, @DawnLilly‌!

• Options

Omg i would die if my 9 month old was getting g up 6-7 times a night. That is like fresh out the chute newborn shenanigans.

This.

Yeah, it was rough. He still gets up 1-2 time a night at 15 months. But I can deal with that, last night he actually STTN. He'll do it every now and then to trick us.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DawnLillyDawnLilly member
    edited September 2014
    @irishtheatrechic‌ and @SassyPants150‌

I don't think it was difficult because it was my plan right from the beginning and I stuck to it. I had to go back to work at 6 weeks and didn't think it was fair to my son to make him switch after 6 weeks. Nor did I like the idea of grandmas and dad struggling to feed him or missing out on that bonding time. I started on the breast in the hospital until my milk let down and then asked for a pump. Both my husband and I were able to feed him skin to skin because we used a bottle. 

I pumped every 2 hours for the first 6 weeks even though he didn't eat that often. It was important to build my supply. The extra I put in special storage bags and froze. After 6 weeks I moved to every 3 hours and did every three hours until he was 4 months old. He started sleeping through the night at 8 weeks but I continued to get up and pump. I rotated giving him fresh pumped milk and the earliest stuff I froze and froze newly pumped milk to make sure none of it went bad.

At six months my supply started dropping substantially and I had to start supplementing. I made avocado/breast milk purees to start him on solids. He never received any cereal. With what I had stored he still received some amounts of breast milk until he was 8 months old. The formula I used during that time and after was Baby's Only Organic. 

My main advice is to not drop a session just because you don't want to do it so often. Like @Smilz4782‌ it can be a lot of work because of storage, supplies, and cleaning. It's more than just heading out the door with your boobs and baby. It's the pump, the bottles, the ice packs, the cooler ect. Not down playing BFing though at all. There are many difficult aspects I didn't have to deal with like latch, mastitis, and sore nipples. I'm hoping to make it to a year next time. If you have any questions let me know. It's the difficulty you choose really.

Oh hey everyone! Just getting caught up on this since yesterday.

GUESS WHAT?! @HilarityEnsued‌ I agree that exclusively breast fed should include pumped milk. But, ah hem, according to someone on my previous BMB, it isn't. Because the benefits of breastfeeding go way beyond just nutrition and we don't know the full cognitive affects of breastfeeding yet so I could be denying him something without even knowing it.

Buh bye Gizmo. Sorry not sorry we won't be able to have this go around again you "explative" "TOU Violation" "explative"
  • Options
    She posted once on TWW while I was there. I welcomed her in her intro here. I was hoping she had learned to each their own a bit better because I was kind of excited to have someone from my first BMB here. Wrong.
  • Options
    My son never latched correctly so I pumped for him. My daughter latched fine so I EBF'ed her. I hope to EBF this one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"