Food Allergy

Egg allergy question

My 2 year old daughter reacted with hives after eating eggs at 1 year. A blood test confirmed an egg allergy at 1 year. We had allergies retested at 2 years and it was even higher. We don't see an allergist, just avoid eggs, but my pediatrician has been unclear with how careful we need to be. We never give her scrambled eggs, but I'm wondering about baked goods, or store bought products that contain eggs. The first year I was very careful and made everything from scratch using egg substitutes and didn't let her have any birthday cake at others houses or anything where I couldn't read the ingredients. This last year, I've been a little more relaxed with it and haven't noticed any visible reactions. What do you all you do?
E 7/2009, K 11/2011, M 5/2013

Re: Egg allergy question

• I would ask for an appointment with an allergist. A paediatrician doesn't know enough about allergies, which is likely why they were unclear.

I was allergic to eggs as a child and I could not eat ANYTHING with eggs in it without having breathing problems and risking anaphylactic shock.

Hives are a minor reaction for me (but I'm an highly allergenic person), that I deal with using Benedryl, but I don't know what an allergist would say.
  • I would say you need an allergy plan from your allergist. 

My child's egg allergy is severe.  His milk allergy is less severe and the allergist would still like it completely avoided. 
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with others, you should see an allergist. They can decide what the plan is and based on the severity decide if maybe your daughter would be able to do a baked good egg challenge. Until you know for sure I would avoid all eggs even baked goods. Just because she had hives one time doesn't mean that an accidental exposure couldn't be more severe next time. Do you have an epi-pen?
  • I agree my LO has severe allergy to egg even when mixed into baked goods so we completely eliminated egg. But you should definitely talk to the allergist
  • You need to see an allergist. My son is allergic to eggs and we didn't find out by giving him eggs, he had really bad eczema and his pediatrician thought maybe it could be due to a food allergy. We found out before his first birthday he was allergic to eggs. The following year we found out he was still allergic to eggs and then also peanuts. You need to make an appt. with an allergist because this is/could be life threatning to your child and you as the mom need to be able to protect her if god forbid she ingests eggs. Our allergist told us to stay away from eggs-period. NO baked goods! You have to read labels all the time. For instance, my sons absolute favorite bread is irish soda bread from our local Jewel bakery,the label always stated that it didn't contain eggs. I went to the store yesterday to get some soda bread and read the label and they changed to having eggs in this product. My point is, is going to an allergist can save your childs life and teach you about how to read labels. I pray everyday for my son that he will grow out of this allergy but will not know the chances until he's 5 or 6. He is 4 right now.  
  • Both of my kids had egg allergies, but their only reactions were hives, they were not severe.  Both of mine were able to eat them cooked in things, but not straight eggs.  My daughter outgrew hers around 2 and my son is approaching 4 and we just were cleared for the egg challenge.  Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"