Multiples

FTM... Insurance Question!

MissEm15MissEm15 member
edited September 2014 in Multiples

Sorry if this has been asked, but I couldn't find what I'm asking in the search. I have a $500 deductible & $4200 max out of pocket for me & $8400 family. UHC covers 85% after deductible. It's not an HSA or anything. Let me preface by saying, I did do their "estimate my costs" online, but delivery of twins was not an option (unless I double their singleton estimate maybe?).

So my questions are:

1) Would delivery for both babies go toward my max out of pocket or the family max out of pocket? Or does all delivery & after delivery care go toward our family max out of pocket?

2) Who do I call to get estimated delivery/care costs.. Insurance company, doc or Hospital? All three?

3) When do we up our health insurance plan to include two babeis? After they are born or before?

I'm so lost when it comes to insurance, so please any advice is greatly appreciated. TIA!!

****siggy warning****

Me 29/ DH 28
DH- MFI (low count, 2-3% morph)

IUI #1 January - Clomid, Ovidrel: BFN
IUI #2 February - Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel: BFP 1st beta-25, 2nd beta-56, 3rd beta-45, miscarriage
IUI #3 April - CD3 U/S 4-10. Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel CD11 - Cancelled.. TI w/5 follicles-BFN
IUI #3.1 May - CD3 U/S 5-6, Follistim start 5-11 thru 5-17, u/s 5-18 3 mature w/ a close 4th, IUI 5-20 - BFP!
             Beta #1 12dpo - 164 & progesterone - 89!, Beta #2 16 dpo - 1189, 5w3d - u/s shows TWINS!
             6/19- u/s showed heartbeats! Baby A 111 & Baby B 118, both measuring 6w1d
             7/3- Baby A hb 170, Baby B hb 166 - both measuring perfect.
             7/18 - Baby A 165, Baby B 171 - both measuring right on track & moving all around!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: FTM... Insurance Question!

• Honestly I would call all parties involved and ask about this- oh and get as much of it as you can in writing.  

As for adding them after birth, you really should call as soon as you can.  I wanted no surprises and fights with the insurance.  My boys were born early, and were in the NICU when I was discharged.  They were born on a Friday evening, my husband contacted his HR rep from his workplace on Monday to make sure they were added.  When I was released on Tuesday, I called the insurance to make sure they were aware that I was released and the boys were in the NICU.  They were since the hospital had been in contact with them. I checked the online portal then and they were already listed under our policy.  There was no surprises and everything financially went smoothly.
  • Definitely call your insurance company and confirm everything. For me at least, I had Aetna and was on an individual plan (my husband was on his own plan through his employer) at the time of delivery. I only paid the max out of pocket plus the deductible for the individual plan. Since the kids aren't really "on" your plan until after they're born, my insurance only charged me according to the type of plan I was on when they were born.

A couple months before delivery I called my company's HR department and told them I'd be having twins and wanted them to be added to my plan. They sent me paperwork to fill out and turn in after the boys were born, because it required birth dates and social security numbers. So the kids don't go on your plan until after they're born, but it's a good idea to let your HR/insurance company know they're coming to make the process smooth once the twins are here and you have other things to worry about :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"