March 2015 Moms
Options

False Positive Spina Bifida Test

Hello ladies,

Just curious if anyone has experienced this. I had a normal pregnancy before this one. However I just got a call from my doctor indicating my levels for spina bifida came back elevated and I am at risk. I have to go see maternal fetal medicine and they will do an ultrasound focusing on the spine.

She said if everything look ok could be false positive. I am extremely nervous and freaking out. Wondering anyone has had an positive blood work but then negative on the ultrasound. Thanks!

Re: False Positive Spina Bifida Test

• Options
    I haven't had this myself but I'm sorry to hear you're going through it :( sounds scary.  FX it was just a false positive!
  • Options
    Yea I am scared! But thank you! I hope so too!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My girl friend had this scare. She was stressed her entire pregnancy even though the ultrasound did come back normal. She has a healthy 5 month old little boy. Good luck.
  • Options
    For most tests for rare conditions (like spina bifida) the rate of false positives is significantly higher than true positives. If you know the exact type/name of the test, you might be able to find the false/true positive rates online.
  • Options
    No experience but FX that everything is okay. Take care of yourself in the mean time.
  • Options
    No experience but T&P being sent your way for a normal U/S!
    photo 2eaeec32-4781-4bd4-a9e0-fe86f486b516.jpg

~~~~For SuzyQ and all our loss moms~~~~

Met: 02.2007 / Engaged: 11.21.2009 / Married: 07.09.2010

EDD: 03.02.2015 / Scheduled Delivery Date: 02.25.2015

• Options
    kaydedid said:
    For most tests for rare conditions (like spina bifida) the rate of false positives is significantly higher than true positives. If you know the exact type/name of the test, you might be able to find the false/true positive rates online.
    What she said.  I think you're probably talking about the quad screen.  If the ultrasound looks good, I think they just go with that.  If the ultrasound looks suspicious, they can do an amnio to get accurate results as to whether it is actually the dx or not.  FX for you.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the responses!
  • Options

I am going through something similar, except mine came back a higher risk for Down Syndrome.  Usually when I google something I end up even more nervous, but this time after seeing the statistics I feel better.  It said about 50 out of every 1,000 women who do the screening test come back with a concern and of those 50 only one or two babies actually have a problem.  

I understand your concern though, the waiting is stressful. I will be having an ultrasound next week.  Hopefully we both get some answers so we can relax and enjoy our pregnancies!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Sorry you're going through this. I have no experience, but I wanted to send you positive vibes & FX it's a false positive.
  • Options
    Yes!  This happened to me with my last pregnancy.  My results from the quad screening came back with elevated AFP levels, so high in fact that they told me I had a 1 in 17 chance of having a child with Spina Bifida.  I was carrying twins, and was already being seen very regularly by a MFM.  He looked closely through ultrasounds for "tiny holes" in the spines of the babies.  My son was easy to see and the doctor felt he was fine.  My daughter on the other hand, had Oligohydramnios (super low fluid, that was already causing other problems) so he couldn't get a very good look at her.  We met with a genetic counselor, and ended up opting out of an amnio (there was already low fluid, no way were they putting a needle in there).  I was terrified and a mess that something was wrong with my baby.  And guess what?  She's perfect. 

At my NT scan, my MFM spoke with us about that quad screening test.  He said that false positives are common, and that the ultrasounds he uses to check for those types of things are more accurate than the blood results anyway.  Because of this, we are opting out of the blood work this time around.  The unneeded stress isn't worth it. 

I hope your experience ends up being exactly like mine...nothing.  I know it's easier said than done, but try to relax and not freak out until you have a definite reason to.  I'll be thinking about you and the babe. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    My sister had a false positive with one of her children.  I hear that it is somewhat common.  

for suzyq0525
  • Options
    False positives are very common. My thoughts are with you during this stressful time.
  • Options
    My Doctor told me there is an 8% error rating on the positive side. I'm not opting to have the test because of this large percent of error possible. Even knowing the error of this test is huge, I would still be scared about hearing this. Thinking of you and your LO, hoping that they can confirm that everything is just fine with an ultrasound! 
  • Options
    No experience. But good luck.
  • Options
    My step son has spinabifida!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"