Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Height predictions

I heard you can predict the height of a toddler by age 2. Some websites say to add the mom and dad's height, then add 5 inches for boys or subtract 5 inches for girls, then divide by 2. Some websites say to double the boys height at 24 months or double the girls height at 18 months.

Anyone heard of this? Do you believe it?

I tried it on myself by adding my parents height and it's not accurate. I'm 2 inches taller than the prediction. And it was the same for my husband. He's 2 inches taller than the prediction as well. I know genetics plays a big factor along with health, diet, and exercise etc. I'm just curious. My preemie 32 weeker just turned 2 last week. She's perfectly healthy despite always being on the small side. I was just curious about height predictions. I don't know how accurate it will be. I guess time will tell.

Re: Height predictions

• Options
    Yes, there is a formula you can use to predict height; my Dad (he is a pediatrician) has told it to me before and he uses it in addition to growth charts for height predictions.  I think it is: add mom & dad's heights, divide by 2, add 3 for a boy or subtract 3 for a girl.  Don't quote me on that, the order may be off. 

Regardless of the formula, there is a standard deviation so the prediction is really a range.  So the case in which you and your husband were 2-inches taller than predicted would probably fit within the standard deviation.  I know my sister and brother were within the range, but I was statistically abnormal height-wise.  Based on the formula I should have grown to between 4' 8" and 5'3" (we are not a really tall family) - I am 5' 8".  My Dad has been using the formula for 30+ years and says the accuracy is there to continue using it for predictive purposes.  So the formula is not perfect, but can give a good idea of adult height in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"