March 2013 Moms

Speed up labor?

I am 37 weeks and want to know if anything has worked for them to help speed up labor. I have heard sex, walking, primrose oil, ect. I know hubby is going to think big prego sex is weird because he is afraid of hitting baby in the head (even thought this is not possible!).

Re: Speed up labor?

• Your body has to be ready for labor for any of the above to help things along.  Nothing can truly induce labor except medical interventions (and even those don't always work).  That doesn't mean you can't try any or all of them but just don't put too much stock in them.  Good luck!!!
    Me: PCOS   DH: No issues

August '16-January '17: Clomid + HCG + IUI/TI = BFN
    February/March '17: Menopur + HCG + IUI = BFN
    April '17: Menopur + HCG + TI (due to too many mature follicles) = BFN
    May '17: Took off due to cysts
    June' 17: Menopur + HCG + IUI = Cancelled due to 8+ mature follicles
    November '17: Clomid + HCG + IUI= BFN
    December '17: Menopur + HCG + TI= BFP!!!! Due August 2018

• I just turned 37 weeks as well and have been wondering the same thing. Do you get this terrible pinching feeling? Also my husband doesn't want her to come out until her due date so he wont help me speed up labor. He has been taking it very slow when it comes to sex. Any advice to help get him to understand having her now would be safe. I mean I wouldn't mind caring her till she is due I'm just getting uncomfortable and excited to meet her.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've heard doing prenatal yoga and squats help. Just be sure your dr is okay with you doing them before you start.

• You're only 37 weeks; why not wait until the baby is ready to come on his/her own? A lot of doctors no longer consider 37 weeks to be full term; look at the March of Dimes website that shows the benefits of baby staying put until 39/40 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I want her to come naturally or with home remedies....I am not going to be induced or anything like that until 42 weeks. The Dr. said I am 1cm and said he gives it another week (this was on Friday). She has dropped and is very low. I have also started getting contractions at night so I think my body is ready. Just wondering if any of this stuff really works.
  • Why do you want to speed things up? Your baby has another 3 weeks to bake. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagetilsonc:
    I want her to come naturally or with home remedies....I am not going to be induced or anything like that until 42 weeks. The Dr. said I am 1cm and said he gives it another week (this was on Friday). She has dropped and is very low. I have also started getting contractions at night so I think my body is ready. Just wondering if any of this stuff really works.

Hate to be the bearer  of bad news but having a baby be really low/dropped, lots of contractions, etc. really doesn't mean much. Sure, baby could come early or you could have the same feelings for the next month and have a late baby. As for natural "induction" things- they definitely can help but ONLY if your body already is ready to go into labor. Once you are in labor they can help progress things along but if your body isn't ready, it's just not ready. I know that its hard and uncomfortable- I am dreading 37 weeks b/c I remember completely hitting a wall and feeling so miserable until I had my DD. I already am physically miserable so I am scared of how much worse I will feel as the weeks go on but not too much you can do about it. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagetilsonc:
    I want her to come naturally or with home remedies....I am not going to be induced or anything like that until 42 weeks. The Dr. said I am 1cm and said he gives it another week this was on Friday. She has dropped and is very low. I have also started getting contractions at night so I think my body is ready. Just wondering if any of this stuff really works.

I've had all that for 4 weeks now...don't get your hopes up.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageAbeja1226:
    imagetilsonc:
    I want her to come naturally or with home remedies....I am not going to be induced or anything like that until 42 weeks. The Dr. said I am 1cm and said he gives it another week this was on Friday. She has dropped and is very low. I have also started getting contractions at night so I think my body is ready. Just wondering if any of this stuff really works.
    I've had all that for 4 weeks now...don't get your hopes up.

Ditto this, I was at 3cm for three weeks before DD came. I know it's hard, but try to enjoy these last few weeks with an inside baby. It is the last time you guys will do everything together :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Agreed that we should all try to look on the bright side of these last few weeks of pregnancy. Walking is good for positioning and to help you maintain physical stamina for labor, sex is good because you won't be able to have it for awhile after, etc. The good news is that the natural stuff doesn't tend to work unless your body is already ready, so enjoy it for what it is.

BUT, you know what else is good? Uninterrupted book reading, tv watching, eating, etc. Going out to dinner or for a walk in the dark with DH. Quiet is also good. The ability to loaf around is good. These things will all change soon enough, and for the FTMs, in a way that you won't get back for awhile!

Just keep your expectations reasonable. Like a PP, I started dilating at 35 weeks with all pregnancies and tend to walk around at 4cms for awhile before actually giving birth.
    Mommy to Seth (4) and Catherine Anne (13 mo.) Excited to welcome a third child in March of 2013!
  • I am all for speeding things along, this is my body too (isn't it) The sacrifices are large and of course all worth it but if I could be a little more comfortable a little sooner I'd gladly take my little bundle a tad early! Of course nobody wants complications or risks for the baby but Momma's comfort DOES matter too! I am with you girls
  • You're only 37 weeks; why not wait until the baby is ready to come on his/her own? A lot of doctors no longer consider 37 weeks to be full term; look at the March of Dimes website that shows the benefits of baby staying put until 39/40 weeks.

Agreed.  Let that baby bake!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sex worked for DS, but then again I was 40 weeks. DH and I really needed to have DS no later than his due date due to the fact that DH had to travel 4 days after the due date.  Anyway, had sex (it was not pretty) and water broke about 8 hours later.  You have to have the big O for the sex to really help according to some nurses that gave that advice to us.

LOL at your DH thinking he would hit the baby. I had to explain to mine that there was no freaking way that was going to happen.  Men just like to think they are HUGE and can reach all the way in up there.  Sorry for slightly crude. 

Anyway, best of luck.  I am also 37 weeks, but not ready for my little girl to make her appearance.  She can stay in as long as she wants - I have more control of her that way.

:P

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

;

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"