High-Risk Pregnancy

SIUGR Babies

Hi everyone. I am brand new to this board. Looking for some feedback/support/advice. It's really long, and I thank you in advance for reading!!

My health history in a nutshell. Fertility issues, endometriosis, PCOS and Lynch Syndrome. Through Lupron, Clomid & Provera were able to get pregnant and stay pregnant with Grace, who is 2 1/2 now. I had hyperemesis gravidarum throughout the entire 9 months, was pre-eclamptic and Grace was IUGR but borderline the entire time. I never even KNEW she was IUGR until after she was born and I was reviewing my medical records.(long story)

After 18 months of trying for our 2nd, we were blessed to find out we are expecting a little boy on December 27th of this year.

I have had no problems with HG but have already been labeled pre-e with my blood pressure, sudden swelling episodes, vision changes, protein in my urine and dizziness, all which came on around 14 weeks. Got the official diagnosis this week.(25 weeks)

Baby 2.0, as we call him, has measured small throughout my pregnancy. We were given the official severe intrauterine growth restricted diagnosis just yesterday. He is less than 5% at this point.

All other signs point to a healthy baby: MAT21 was clear, no Downs markers, vital organs are all working properly.

So my question is - where would you go from here? I'm scheduled for weekly AMA/MFM ultrasounds for the foreseeable future.

Anyone else had an IUGR baby who was 100% okay? I don't even know where to start with my research. I've been ordered to increase my caloric intake (I've only gained 4 pounds this pregnancy and it's NOT from lack of trying, eating or shoving food in my face, lol!) and no exercise.

Help me see the possibilities that could await us?  Maybe I'm just looking for puppies and rainbows today, I don't know. 

TIA!

Micropreemie, IUGR mom to Noah, born 10 weeks early at 1lb, 10oz.  Grace born 02/2012

Re: SIUGR Babies

• I posted to you on the other board (bmb) you mentioned this on.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Baby #1 7/16/10
    Baby #2 11/14/12 
    Baby #3 12/11/14
    Baby #4  3/30/17
    Baby #5 2/28/19 
    Baby #6 Miscarriage
    Baby #7 7/3/22
    Naturally with PCOS

• DS was also diagnosed later in as well. Had been measuring behind on fundal measurement and had growth scan at 38 week. Got our IUGR dx and absent cord flow and were sent directly to hospital where tired to induce me w/ pictoin which failed sent baby into distress - so we had c-section.  DS was 5 lb 5oz at delivery. We went 8 days in NICU due to blood sugar issues and had initial struggles gain weight after going home. BUT DS is health happy and doing great on all his milestones now and is almost 1yr :) 

Glad to hear that you have regular scan from this point on. 

expecting our second and being monitored for IUGR again - they had me on baby aspirin - think studies showed that it had best effect if started before a certain time but might be worthwhile checking with your DR on that.  

Also for what it is work - I gained 50lbs with DS and that obliviously wasn't get passed to him.

Hope this helps. Sending positive vibes you way and hope LO keep cooking for alot longer! 

Pregnancy Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO was severe iugr she is perfectly healthy. She measured small the entire pg. my placenta was small but thick. Are you seeing an MFM? Have they looked at the cord flow?
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• Thank you ladies so much!  I typed up a list of (disjointed) questions for my appt tomorrow morning - many are not even relevant JUST yet but these are questions I want to address at some point.  

Baby –

When do I call – what are warning signs?  Call MFM or OB?  Or L&D?

Steroid injections – lung development?

What are Biophysical Physical Profiles?  When are they done?  (At same time as u/s?)

Weekly NSTs start early?  OB determines?

Placenta placement?  He’s so low – is my placenta where it should be?

What is my amniotic fluid level?  

What is the protocol if he drops in percentage?

How is his head measurement compared to where it should be, week-wise?  Is he proportionate?

What is he measuring at week-wise? 

Likely NICU stay even at 36-38 weeks?  What’s the longest we can go?

Momma –

Where does Dr. OB come into play?

Blood Panel – weight loss/no gain – thyroid, blood sugars?

Blood pressure cuff?  Compression socks?

Diet changes – increase protein? 

Pre-E – swelling episodes about once a day.  Sudden and quick. 

Rest – every available moment? Or continue life as usual?

Special at home care?

House prep/Anything special to bring to the hospital or buy at home?  A scale for weight checks?

Clothing – preemie/newborn clothing? 

Breastfeeding success with IUGR?

Micropreemie, IUGR mom to Noah, born 10 weeks early at 1lb, 10oz.  Grace born 02/2012
  • AWESOME appointment today - Baby M had NO decrease in growth, his humble abode is still healthy and all signs point to him staying put for a while!! He's 19 days behind and measuring only at 1lb (should be around 2 pounds), but he's growing! Today he was yawning, trying to put his hand in his mouth and kept rubbing at his eyes. Grow little man, grow! I'm so thankful for good news and continued growth! Thanks to everyone who has helped me this past week with my million questions and endless stream of worry. Keep those prayers coming that he grows and stays put! 

I'm seriously jumping all around and so freaking happy that we had a positive appointment finally!   OB appt tomorrow, GTT as well then another growth scan next week Thursday.  
  • So glad to hear you had a great appointment!!!!!! Whoo hoo- I'd do a happy dance for you, but I am just too tired ;). I am dancing in spirit though! Keep growing baby keep growing!
  • It sounds like you had a great appointment and I'm hoping things continue to go well for you.

I just wanted to share my story.  My DS started dropping in growth percentiles at around 28 weeks.  I wasn't officially diagnosed with IUGR until 35 weeks, though in all honesty, I probably qualified around 32 weeks.  I had NSTs weekly starting at 32 weeks and twice weekly BPPs as well as growth scans every other week starting at 35 weeks.  I delivered a healthy 3 lb 7.8oz baby boy via planned c/s at 37 weeks.  He required absolutely no NICU time and was able to stay in my room the whole time.  He was there 11 days and spent most of that time in a isolette to keep him from having to burn calories to keep his temperature up.  He was just shy of 4lbs when he came home.

He is now 15 months old and perfectly healthy!  He did have acid reflux for about the first 6 months, but other than that he's had one cold.  He was born with mild hypospadias (a common birth defect in boys, completely unrelated to the IUGR) that we had corrected via surgery at 7 months of age.  I think the biggest complication from the IUGR was that his neck muscles were underdeveloped.  He ended up developing positional plagiocephaly and thus a flatter spot on one side of his head.  He had PT for a year and it really helped!  

Best of luck to you!  My motto for my son has always been "little baby, big blessing" b/c he certainly is!
  • Thank you for sharing that!   It really helps to hear actual, real life stories rather than just read the clinical information out there.   I love "little baby, big blessing"!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"