2nd Trimester
Options

weight gain

Im pregnant with my first child and I only gained 5 pounds during my first trimester, is this normal?

Re: weight gain

• Options
    I lost 7 pounds during my fist trimester. But im almost at the end of my 2nd and have gained it all back plus a few more. As long as your eating healthy and drinking fluids everything should be OK.
  • Options
    I was up 3 lbs in first tri, now Im up 8#.  You'll be fine.  It also depends on if you're under/average/over weight to start with.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    TashaPlusNikaTashaPlusNika member
    edited September 2014
    Unless you're underweight, you actually shouldn't gain more than that. 5 is the max recommended for first trimester gain if you start off in the 'normal' range. 

ETA: Most women actually lose and not gain in the 1st trimester, I started off at 114-116 and got down to 108lbs 

TTC #2

Cycle 1:   (January/February)                            Cycle 2:  (February/March)

O - CD17                                                     O - CD15
    IB @ 11dpo                                                            11dpo-13dpo spotting
    BFP @ 12dpo (late pm)                         AF CD28 (late 13dpo)                     
    13dpo = positive fading all day
    14dpo beta = 7.2
    AF CD32 - Confirmed Chemical Pregnancy

CYCLE 3 (March/April) 
    O - CD19 
    8DPO - Faint BFP on Wondfo
    9DPO - Neg. on FRER
    11 DPO - BFP FRER
    14 DPO - Beta 123
    17 DPO - 784, yay! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I gained 8 during my first trimester. My doctor told me that during the first you may go one of two ways. You may feel nauseous all the time causing you to lose weight from food aversions and lack of appetite or you could find relief in eating (no0rmally the high calorie, greasy foods). French fires were my savior. But i'm balancing out now and working on eating better. My doctor said not to worry as much during the first trimester, just do what makes you feel best, but start working on nutritional healthy eating in the second.

Again, it's different for everyone. All things in moderation and just enjoy your pregnancy!

• Options
    I lost 5lbs and I am 22 wks have gained 8lbs...
    ***ticker warning*** DS 3/27/12 born 6 weeks early....my perfect boy !! Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers [url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/z5R8p1.png[/img][/url] image<a href="http://www.thebump.com/?
  • Options
    Ask your doctor. I am 17 weeks, and I have still been LOSING a little bit of weight in my second tri--I've lost about 8 pounds overall, 6 of them in the first trimester. (I was slightly overweight before, about 10 pounds.) My midwife is not worried, she says I am eating enough and eating healthy. On the other hand, I have a friend who is 20 weeks and has gained seven pounds. Her OB is worried and has asked her to drink high calorie smoothies to help her gain good weight. Everyone's situation is different, and only the people close to you can know what's going on.
    BabyFruit Ticker    image

F15 December Siggy Challenge:
    Holiday Decorations Fail
  • Options
    Because you said "only 5 lbs" I am guessing you think this is really low? 5 lbs is actually what I consider the high end of normal range for a first pregnancy. I asked an OB this question early on and got the answer "there is no weight gain expectation in the first trimester" and average is 2-5 lbs. 

Personally, I didn't really have morning sickness but still managed to lose 10 lbs before gaining any back. I am average weight, size 6, 5'5''. Now at 20 weeks I am back to just below my pre-preg weight. My baby is growing perfectly. This weight loss pattern is typical of other women in my family and no one has ever gained much with pregnancy, so I am not the least bit concerned and neither is my midwife. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    my first trimester, I gained 3...I stupidly weighed myself today and I am up 10 lbs since my last appt! I work out 4 days/week, and stick to a strict diet (that my doctor ok'd) and still I gained! Some people just gain weight or hold weight faster than others...I am one of them!
    BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"