January 2015 Moms
Options

Dumb comments from coworkers - second edition

Well, I call this second addition because it's the second one I've posted, but I know there have been many posts like this.

A coworker (actually a VP who has 2 kids, so you would think she should know better) said to me, "Well, I was hoping you were pregnant! I saw you a few weeks ago and thought you were looking a little heavy." Then when I told her it was another boy, she said, "Oh good, brothers are great, and then you can try for a girl!"

What? Any recent dumb comments that you want to share?

Re: Dumb comments from coworkers - second edition

• Options
    twinwtwinstwinwtwins member
    edited September 2014
    I am pregant with twins so my customers would always say "Do they have the same dad" The best was my twin brother when my SO and I called and he asked "who's the dad" really?
  • Options

"How come you still have a waistline?".... really?!  Yes my bump is still B shaped but come on!  I'm aware enough that I just look super fat, you don't need to rub it in.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    A co-worker told me that my bump is pointy. What does that mean?!
  • Options
    People can now sometimes tell I'm pregnant. Unfortunately, they think I'm really early and get all, "It's definitely a boy!!" and I'm like, "I'm over 5 months and it's a girl...."
  • Options
    one of the farmers i work for told me i am having a girl this time (it's another boy) because last time i was "all out front" and this time i look way wider....lmao...thanks! I find it funny because i haven't gained near as much weight as last time and i think i look less like a whale compared to last time haha.
  • Options
    I keep getting, "Are you sure you're not due tomorrow? You like you're about to pop!" and "If you're this big now, I can't image what you're going to look like later on" and "Are you sure it's not twins?" from the same lady at work. She has kids, so you would think she would know better. Ugh, people are ridiculous.

• Options
    I hadn't gotten any dumb comments until a few minutes ago... one of my coworker walks up to me while I'm at the copy machine and says in a baby voice "awww, look at this poochywoochy" and reaches around me to rub my belly.  I know she's well-meaning but that was kinda creepy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

"Is watching your baby move like Predator?" And he was serious... I guess that's what happens when you work with mostly males...

Oh man I am sorry, But this made me laugh out loud for real! Men never Cease to amaze me!

• Options
    @spoonleg‌ Oh wow! I'm thinking our
    Family's would get along great!!
    Yeah my size was talked about every time I worked and the huge always comes from men, insensitive drunks lol. I suppose it's what I get for being a bartender!
  • Options
    My male coworker (who has 2 kids) was joking around with me and said, "move outta my way, fatty!" when I was in the kitchen getting a spoon for my yogurt. Another female coworker who was right there yelled at him for saying it, and I laughed it off (it really didn't bother me) but it was one of those things you just don't say to a pregnant woman!
  • Options

I've gotten the "you're only 5 months? is it twins?" I've only gained 10lbs...

I showed a co-worked a onesie that I bought and she was like OMG! You can't buy stuff for the baby! It's bad luck... seriously!!  I laughed and she was so straight faced... I asked what about people buying stuff for me and she said, well you can't bring it in the house... leave it at your moms or sisters.  I said mom lives in FL and sister lives in WA.  She said I should have someone get a storage unit near me to keep the stuff in till baby arrives. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    "Look at youuuuuuu!" No joke they always say it with so much emphasis on the U. And also asking me if I still have morning sickness, why do people really want to know that?
  • Options
    I had a young female patient last night that greeted me by saying "YOU DIDNT TELL ME YOU WERE PREGNANT." (Never met her before in my life). All night, she proceeded to talk to my stomach/the baby, and refused to talk to me/my face. She even called me to the room by my unborn child's name, not my own. It was beyond creepy and just downright weird, and her asking my fetus for narcotics tops my list.

Other than that, I've gotten "you're only 5 months? You're sure it's not twins? You're huge!" From someone else I've never met before either. People and their tact these days, I swear.
  • Options
    Ugh thanks for this thread! I just went through TSA security after opting out of the Xray machine, and the lady who gave me the pat down asked me if I was having twins. When I said no- she said- "well I am not saying your Fat, but your HUUUUGE and your gonna have a big baby if he's due in January." Idiot!
  • Options
    When my MIL was here she was like "Your belly is SO BIG. Huge. I wasn't that big until I delivered. Is it hard?" While groping my belly. I was clenching my teeth because I hate having my belly touched by anyone other than my H. It was only later that I realized that the "is it hard" comment meant "is this actually baby, or jiggly fat?" I was furious, because yes, it is hard and all baby, and secondly, she has all the details about my condition and that I lost a lot of weight and that I'm still well under my starting weight still. She KNOWS I haven't gained anything and that I have huge fibroids. She was straight up calling me fat, to my face. At my last doctor's visit my fundus measured 24cm so right on target.
  • Options
    I either get no stupid comments or else I'm just blissfully unaware!
  • Options
    TRexsMum said:

I get asked a lot if my husband had sex with the surrogate. Like, by actual adults.

I've also been asked what makes me so sure se will let me adopt her baby.

And one more favourite - "how do you know the baby will be white?"

I mean, I get that surrogacy isn't everybody's story. I get that most people have only heard of surrogates on tv and in movies, and the stories are usually scary legal messes until recently. But really?? Really?

Oh hell no. Did he have sex with the surrogate? Will she let you adopt "her" baby? WTAF is wrong with people?
  • Options
    I have gotten some very judgey looks from well meaning friends who've seen me holding a (non-alcoholic) beer or a coffee cup. None of them have had kids though, so I know I shouldn't blame them but it does try my patience a little.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Reading some of these makes me feel so much better about my coworkers' comments.  Then again, my FI and I work in the same facility just in different departments so the strange comments I get usually come from his coworkers and it's stuff I hear from him first anyhow.  FI seems to think he's HA-larious and goes to work and shares his genius quips...he's lucky I think he's cute :P

• Options
    My mom went on vacation for a week and when she came back she was like, look how pregnant you look and it's only been a week! Umm thanks?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    A coworker overheard another coworker congratulate me and she says, "so I take it your happy about it?  I mean, some people aren't planning on it and aren't happy about being pregnant."  I was a bit flabbergasted, but finally responded with, "well she was a surprise, but we're both very happy."
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I've gotten the "you're only 5 months? is it twins?" I've only gained 10lbs...

I showed a co-worked a onesie that I bought and she was like OMG! You can't buy stuff for the baby! It's bad luck... seriously!!  I laughed and she was so straight faced... I asked what about people buying stuff for me and she said, well you can't bring it in the house... leave it at your moms or sisters.  I said mom lives in FL and sister lives in WA.  She said I should have someone get a storage unit near me to keep the stuff in till baby arrives. 

There's certain cultures where this is true.  Personally, I am not superstitious nor religious, and I can't imagine not having things ready for when baby arrives!  But to each their own.

I'

I have had two strangers ask me if I should be drinking coffee when I have a Dunkin or Starbucks in my hand. 1) It's decaf, 2) it would still be fine if it were caffeinated, and 3) mind your own damned business. I also had this girlfriend-of-DH's-coworker go on and on and on about how lucky I am to keep my looks and my tiny waist (thanks? I am mostly just grateful to be pregnant, regardless of how I look), and then kept going on about how awful some women look during pregnancy, citing examples of family and friends and celebrities who "got super fat and ugly". I couldn't believe she was trash talking people like that! And I couldn't help but hope she gets acne and blows up like a hot air balloon when she gets pregnant one day as punishment for judging how others look.
    ************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• Options
    "what's up chubby? Well I guess a congratulations is in order."
    I was speechless.
  • Options
    I got this: "looks like somebody's been stirring the pot!" I said, "I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about". His response: "I'm assuming you're pregnant?" So mine: "nope! Just ate a lot on vacation". I hope he felt at least a little awkward after that.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I've started getting, ur so small, r u sure ur pregnant or just fat? Uhhhh nope it's a baby, n he's measuring great, thanks, I'm just lucky n it looks small I guess..
  • Options
    My secratary has two children of her own and when I started commenting on how I liked the bigger boobs, since I've only ever been a B. She says yea enjoy them now bc after you breastfeed they'll just sag.
    Oh uh thanks for the heads up?
  • Options
    Worst one for me yet was an older female co-worker acted like she was playing shurades in front of me and the rest if my co-workers acting out the question 'Are you pregnant?' I was pissed and deliberately chose to ignore her. I was hoping that it would end peacefully there and that she would nicely and quietly ask me.

No such luck. I ran into her later that night and she loudly said that she wanted an answer to her question. Again I ignored her. Again louder she stated that I knew what she was asking and she demanded I tell her the answer. At that well it just pushed some wrong buttons... I told her that I was not answering her because of the rude way she asked. Again she demanded I tell her. Again I told her that getting older one would think a person would know etiquette better through the years, but since she just got ruder I didn't have to tell her. Agai. And louder she stated that her daughter said I was, she really didn't care but she demanded me to tell her. I told her I was ignoring her and her rudeness because she offended me on how she asked initially. She was quite for a few minutes and loudly stated agin how many months are you? At that point I stopped what I was doing looked at her and told her it was none of her damn business.

Yes it is always rude to ask someone if they are pregnant. But if you chose to walk across that line, how you ask the location you ask at and so on matters. Also demanding that your questions have to be answered. No way! I am still currently having issues with this co-worker who loudly whispers when I am around about what I wear and that I am trying to hide it and not doing a good job at it. Grrr! It just so pisses me off!
  • Options

Worst one for me yet was an older female co-worker acted like she was playing shurades in front of me and the rest if my co-workers acting out the question 'Are you pregnant?' I was pissed and deliberately chose to ignore her. I was hoping that it would end peacefully there and that she would nicely and quietly ask me.

No such luck. I ran into her later that night and she loudly said that she wanted an answer to her question. Again I ignored her. Again louder she stated that I knew what she was asking and she demanded I tell her the answer. At that well it just pushed some wrong buttons... I told her that I was not answering her because of the rude way she asked. Again she demanded I tell her. Again I told her that getting older one would think a person would know etiquette better through the years, but since she just got ruder I didn't have to tell her. Agai. And louder she stated that her daughter said I was, she really didn't care but she demanded me to tell her. I told her I was ignoring her and her rudeness because she offended me on how she asked initially. She was quite for a few minutes and loudly stated agin how many months are you? At that point I stopped what I was doing looked at her and told her it was none of her damn business.

Yes it is always rude to ask someone if they are pregnant. But if you chose to walk across that line, how you ask the location you ask at and so on matters. Also demanding that your questions have to be answered. No way! I am still currently having issues with this co-worker who loudly whispers when I am around about what I wear and that I am trying to hide it and not doing a good job at it. Grrr! It just so pisses me off!

I LOL'd at "shurades". I would have reported her to HR.
  • Options
    I never thought about that as an option.
  • Options
    I've had coworkers that I never talk to come up and ask me if it was planned...wtf. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not working with this pregnancy, so the most awkward I've gotten are my husband's grandma asking "What kind are you having?" (gender) and then what we're naming her. I pointed out that we didn't tell anyone DS's name before he was born, so even if we knew what we were naming her, we probably wouldn't tell. She responded with about twenty point-blank questions about the name. Like she wasn't included in the list of people we wouldn't tell the name. She also said that we were going to be moving to OH just in time to come back for Thanksgiving. When I said I wouldn't be able to get on a plane at that point, she said, "Well sure, YOU can't, but [husband and son] can. They'll come back for Thanksgiving." Oh, sure, I'll just hang out in a state I've lived in for two weeks all by my lonesome while my husband and son go hang out with the family.

While I was pregnant with DS, I worked with some very interesting individuals who provided me with non-stop awkward comments. They were all women about 50-55, so they assumed they knew it all. They were constantly telling me I was going to have to get rid of my dogs once the baby came. They also delighted in asking about my mucus plug, dilation, boobs, etc. We worked on a second story, and one time when I was 7 months along and my back was killing me, my boss caught me taking the elevator. She freaked out and told me I wasn't allowed to take the elevator or I'd get fat. "You're pregnant, but you don't need to get fat. You're the cute one here." She got really annoyed when my boobs got too big and said I needed to get tighter bras. 

One doctor specializing in Alzheimer's care came to our office. While we were alone, he took it upon himself to inform me that I would be having a c-section because I'm short. "All short people have c-sections. Their bodies just aren't built for childbirth." The worst part is he ended up being right (about me, not about short people in general). 

I was able to bring DS to work with me for the first 6 months, which was awesome. My boss was also very pro-BF, which was also awesome. Except I was very modest about it, 1) because I'm just naturally that way and 2) we were in an office environment. She was always telling me to just nurse at my desk (which was at the front door, not in an office). If she caught me sneaking off to nurse, she would take me in her office to nurse, regardless of how many people were in there. Awkward. 
  • Options
    This post is so reassuring that I'm not the only one and inconsiderate people work everywhere!

A guy that I work with who has no sense of appropriateness to begin with so this comes as no surprise came into a meeting and told me he rewrote one of my emails and recirculated it to a small group of people ( not including me of course) to have a chuckle. Basically a simple request that HE had asked me to make to another group was turned into a raving email from a "demanding crazy pregnant lady" changing my kind words into demands and accusations.

He always thinks he is so funny. Well he's just a jackass.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"