November 2014 Moms
Options

Vehicle Question--Jeep Compass & Patriot

Just wondering if anyone has or has had one of these vehicles.    I am looking at cheaper AWD/4WD cars online and these look nice and they are in my price range....however....they only come with 4 cylinders in them.   I have a hard time believing that 4 cylinders could be powerful enough to pull all that vehicle around.......then I thought about deep snow, and putting it in 4x4.....can 4 cylinders really handle all that ?

I need to go test drive one to see how they do,  but I just can't imagine that being powerful enough to turn all 4 wheels in a sticky situation.

Spanks ladies !!!   :)

Nov. '14 January Siggy : Work Sucks!

Me 32-DH 38

Married July 14, 2007  ----- TTC # 1 October 1, 2013
BFP   March 7, 2014  -----  EDD November 17, 2014 ---- Baby boy born November 16, 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Vehicle Question--Jeep Compass & Patriot

• Options
    I personally wouldn't buy anything with less than 6 cylinders, especially for an SUV.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have a 2012 compass. It doesn't have a lot of room and the passenger seat has to be scooted way up in order to fit the car seat. I'm trying to convince DH that we need a new one for baby.

Married:  08.17.2013
    Sweet Angel Baby: 02.01.2014
    Emerson Shay:  10:28:2014
    Two Fur Babies:  Talli Mae and Lexi

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Sounds like I would be better off keeping my little Chevy Cruze for now.   It needs new tires before winter,  so if I am keeping it, I have to get new tires.    We can't afford another big car payment, so forking out the dough to get a nice big roomy 6 cylinder isn't in the cards for me.   At least not til DH's truck is paid off.  

Thanks for all your input though ladies,  much appreciated!  :)

Me 32-DH 38

BFP   March 7, 2014  -----  EDD November 17, 2014 ---- Baby boy born November 16, 2014

• Options
    Get a subaru, affordable and very high ratings from consumer reports. I have a deep love for my forrester.
    BABY GIRL, 11-11-14 

• Options
    Get a subaru, affordable and very high ratings from consumer reports. I have a deep love for my forrester.

***********stuck in box**********

I actually did look at Subarus,  but there are only a few models made in 'merica.    I am not 100% against foreign made cars,  but alot of my family is,  and I would probably never hear the end of it.   Foresters are one of the ones made in Japan (from what internet told me anyways)  and they start out around $24k.  Jeep Cherokees are $25k.     If I get a new car, it needs to be under $20k to keep my payments low.   

Thinking my options are either keep my car and pray for little snow this winter,  or look at certified used cars.   DH and I both have lost our asses in the past financing used vehicles though.....so that option scares the shit out of me. 

Me 32-DH 38

• Options
    I definitely would second the suggestion for a Subaru if you can manage one, used or new. They've always had 4WD and for awhile now they've all come with AWD. I grew up driving an '89 wagon and have been in a '99 sedan since 2001. Both have handled snow very well. I'm currently looking for a used '07-'11 Outback and you can find them under $20k. I've seen some older ones with less than 100k miles for under $14k.

At the end of the day, if new or used doesn't work, just try and make sure you get a top rated dedicated winter tire and you should be okay unless it gets really crazy.
  • Options
     I have a 2007 Jeep Patriot, bought in 2013. So we had a bad bad winter the first year I had it, I got plenty of chances to use the 4wd LOL.

I totally got wherever I needed to go-I have to be at work no matter the weather (think rain, sleet, snow : ) It's got a zippy 4 cylinder, and I get good mileage. It's a strong engine for the size. We are actually going to put a hitch on it to tow a jetski. And I easily accelerate into highway traffic, even when loaded with my big kids, teens.

The only drawback is the back seat is just not wide, narrowing the choice of carseats. The Graco bucket seats don't fit, but Chicco will, so that's what I'm getting.

Dh does maintenance and some work on our cars and said it's the easier oil change he ever did.

I like this vehicle and did not want a big suv . I spend maybe $40 a week on gas, that's commuting to work and hauling kids around. My dh's med sized suv uses way more!
  • Options
    I just traded in my 2011 Compass last weekend. I loved that car and thought it did well in the snow. I live in New England and drive 75 miles daily for work and always felt safe after throwing on the 4 wheel drive (safe, snow wise)

In regards to the cylinder issue- that was part of the reason we traded it in- the pick up merging onto the highway was not great, it always made me nervous. Also, with baby coming, the trunk space just seemed too small to handle a stroller, plus anything else.

Hope that helps! Happy to answer any questions you have!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD 11.16.14 :)
  • Options
    Hi - I'm a lurker from D14 :) Just wanted to say I have a Ford Escape (2014, also 4 cl) with 4WD and it's amazing.  That being said I did get the turbo engine which accounts for the pickup I have (It accelerates amazingly) and I think the price came out to $28k brand new - I leased it.  However, I think they're coming out with a 2015 AND they made a very similar model in 2013, so you could probably get a used one for much less.  I also recently got into an accident and the car was absolutely amazing.  airbags went off, the vehicle slowed down, hazards went on, and the car automatically called the police for me over my bluetooth speakers.  I have no hesitation in recommending it.  
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    I had a 2008 Patriot.  It was the worst car I've ever owned.  Which is really disappointing because it's an adorable car and the perfect size for a small family!  I owned it from 2010-2012 and ended up trading it in for my car because it was such a lemon.  The transmission overheated if I ever drove more than 30 miles in the summer and it overheated EVERY time I would drive more than 150 miles.  DH and I were stranded more than once on the side of the highway.  Thank God for AAA. 

DH owns a Jeep Liberty and it is great!  I still love Jeeps, but I feel like maybe with the Patriot they put to heavy a frame on too small an engine :P
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have a 2012 patriot limited 4x4 and the trail rated package... (It came that way) it can tow 2000 lbs as opposed to the 1000, came with different tires and something different about the engine that I can't remember at this moment (something about a block heater) I have been nothing but pleased with my car and I still love it after 2 years! 2 of our friends even bought one because they liked ours so much! I think it has plenty of "get up and go" and 4 adults can ride comfortably...
  • Options
    I have a 2014 compass and mine does perfectly fine in the snow and a car seat fits fine in it too! I love my car!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"