Preemies
Options

72 hour rooming in the NICU

Hi again ...

Tonight I start my 24 hour rooming in. Since our son is off oxygen, and showing feeding cues, they want me to stay with him in the NICU for 3 days to allow him to try to breast feed. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this? How did it all go down? I'm kind of nervous about the whole thing.

image image image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 72 hour rooming in the NICU

• Options
    I only roomed in overnight, but if they had offered me 72 hours with breastfeeding support I would have jumped at the chance! My nurses just left us alone unless we needing something or they had to do something with the baby. Don't be nervous...it'll go great!

***signature & ticker warning***

Me: 30 ~ Stage IV Endo ~ AMH .38 ~ AFC 8
    AMH .97 as of 4/2012! ~ AMH 1.63 as of 4/2013!?!

Him: 29 ~ perfect swimmers

Laparotomy w/partial oophorectomy 8/2009 to remove cysts/endo.
    Stopped BCP 4/2010.
    Multiple clomid rounds from 11/2010 to 6/2011. ~ All BFN
    IUI w/clomid 7/2011. IUI w/clomid & injectables 11/2011 & 1/2012. ~ All BFN

IVF:EPP 5/2012 ~ (4R, 3M, 2F w/ICSI). Both embryos txfrd. ~ BFN
    BCP to manage endo from 10/2012 to 12/2012.
    FET w/donor embryos #1: 10/2013 Cancelled
    FET w/donor embryos #1.2: 11/2013
    ~ ET of 2 beautiful blasts on 11/27.
    Beta 1: 503(12dp5dt) Beta 2: 1035(14dpt) Beta 3: 3001(16dpt)
    Beta 4: 8503(19dpt)
    Twins with an EDD of 8/15/14! Team Purple
    G&B born 6/30/14 at 33w3d via emergency c/s.

If you're wondering about my avatar...it's a fried pickle chip shaped like a fetus!

• Options
    That's great! I hope they LCs available to help you and Callen learn to breastfeed! Don't be afraid to keep asking for help if it's not working.

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FI and i also only roomed overnight. LO would forget to breath while eating so it was a make sure i felt comfortable in case something happened. The nurses only brought in her fortified bottles every few hours and asked how things were going.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    Brummy14Brummy14 member
    edited September 2014
    We only did an overnight rooming-in, as well -- but that is SO excellent they're setting it up like they are to transition your LO to 100% BFing. By the time we roomed in, I was pretty much over trying to get them back to breast -- heck, one of them was still rocking an NG tube. ;) Instead, Medela Symphony became my BFF.

In our case, we were moved to our room after the initial nurse shift and checks (it ended up being between 9 and 10PM), and then our nurse checked in on us every 3 hours to bring their fortified bottles and check on us. 

DH and I were such nervous wrecks (that, and newborns are freaking noisy when they sleep) -- we both *maybe* slept 30 minutes, total. But, other than that, it was fine. ;)

TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    So how did the first day go???
    ---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
    BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
    Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
    Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
    Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
  • Options
    Brummy14 You aren't kidding about the noise! I kept walking over there to be like .. whater you doing, and yet he's asleep making all those noises lol.

jbranden12 The LC's have been great!

Thanks guys! I so appreciate everyone's responses. The first day was awful because I have developed this rash that they say is a delayed reaction to on of the millions of antibiotics I received. So I spent a great deal of the first day down in the ED getting rx's for steroids, etc. I'm still waiting for them to fully kick in and am absolutely miserable, especially sleeping at night. I have red hives all over my body, face, not one part of my body doesn't have it. I look like a monster and I itch like a bitch.

Anyway on to the most important part. The first day he wasn't doing much, a few sucks and swallows here and there but then would fall asleep or get frustrated and loose interest. Then we introduced the nipple shield and now after doing that for about 24 hours he's pulling milk out like a champion. He needs to consistently take out 34 cc's from either bottle or breast before they can take the tube out. And then he needs to continue to it and gain weight before he can get home. I can't believe it, he's like another baby. No breathing tube, no lights, no IV. Just the tube. The hope is he can go home early next week. FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Thanks everyone for your comments and support. I feel bad because I haven't been able to participate/be active, but as soon as this mess is over I plan to! 

image image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"