Multiples

Delivery costs for multiples

We don't have to pay the full amount because of insurance, but I did get to see the cost break down on the bill.

This might be naive, but I think it's crazy that we are charged the full amount for each baby. The care of each baby makes sense. But the cost of the hospital stay really jumped out at me. Room and board made up 80% of the bill, and they charge the full amount twice. Obviously we only had one room, and a small one at that. So WTF? I don't get that at all!

I think there were other things but I'm forgetting now.

Baby Boy #1 born 1/15/2010

Babies #2 & #3 arriving Spring 2014 (EDD June 18)

Re: Delivery costs for multiples

• It's very odd! My OB office told me they charge (they being hospital) for 2 deliveries if delivered vaginally, but only once for Csection! Seems absurd a major surgery costs less! Oh well! Still hoping to attempt vaginally delivering.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for posting this, I will have to remember to run through our charges with a fine tooth comb.

• Loading the player...
  • Is noticed a lot of weird things go on in the billing department, especially when you have "good insurance" that pretty much covers everything. Things like everyone getting charged for one room, nursery charges even though we never used or even had access to the nursery, circumcision that didn't occur, then of course there is the cost of meds that cost nothing over the counter. Heh. but some things they don't think you will catch because if your insurance covers it, why would you look at the bill?? I say you should always go through the bill and question the questionable even if YOU wouldn't be the one paying for it. Meh
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Our total cost was $135,000. That was the cs, NICU stay, my stay and the monthly ultrasounds. The girls were in 1 room until they were moved to the peds floor where they were separated. They each got charged the amount even though it was 1 room. I didn't look it over too much, I wouldn't have even gotten a breakdown had I not requested it. It was 100% paid by insurance.

TTC #1 since December 2009
    IVF #1 - 6/2 Start Stims 6/14 ER 6/19 ET (2 embies transferred) BFP 6/27/11! Beta #1 87 Beta #2 197!! 1st U/S 7/19 (5 embies in storage!)
    7/19/11 -- One Beautiful Heart Beat!!
    It's a BOY!!

Jack Austin born at 37w; 2/10/2012

Working on Baby #2; FET scheduled for 1/8/2013!!! Cancelled due to nasty flu sickness :(
    FET 1.0 re-scheduled for 2/26/13! -- BFN
    FET #2 scheduled for May 2013 -- BFN
    Onto IVF #2....scheduled for June 2013, cancelled due to high estrogen levels
    IVF 2.1 re-scheduled for Sept. 2013 ER 9/26. ET 10/1 (2 transferred, 1 in storage). BFP 10/10 beta #1 105, beta #2 255
    Ultrasound 11/1 -- TWINS!!
    Both Girls!! <br>

Harper Grace & Hailey Ryann born at 33w6d; 5/8/2014!

• Ya I was shocked that they charge twice for the hospital as well! Some things made sense obviously with two babies but it's just crazy how expensive it is. My hospital bill for the csection and just hospital stay was over $23,000! Not including all the other random bills you get from the hospital pediatrician, anesthesiologist. I always laugh when strangers say to me "Twins! Two for the price of one!" I want to say back "No, definitely double the price for everything!"

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Holy crap.

****siggy warning****

Me 29/ DH 28
    DH- MFI (low count, 2-3% morph)

IUI #1 January - Clomid, Ovidrel: BFN
    IUI #2 February - Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel: BFP 1st beta-25, 2nd beta-56, 3rd beta-45, miscarriage
    IUI #3 April - CD3 U/S 4-10. Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel CD11 - Cancelled.. TI w/5 follicles-BFN
    IUI #3.1 May - CD3 U/S 5-6, Follistim start 5-11 thru 5-17, u/s 5-18 3 mature w/ a close 4th, IUI 5-20 - BFP!
                 Beta #1 12dpo - 164 & progesterone - 89!, Beta #2 16 dpo - 1189, 5w3d - u/s shows TWINS!
                 6/19- u/s showed heartbeats! Baby A 111 & Baby B 118, both measuring 6w1d
                 7/3- Baby A hb 170, Baby B hb 166 - both measuring perfect.
                 7/18 - Baby A 165, Baby B 171 - both measuring right on track & moving all around!

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm scared.
    Me - 35. DH - 40. TTC #1 since 9/2010. 
    IUI #1-2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP = C/P
    IUI #4-6 BFNs
    IVF #1 Lupron and Gonal F: 29R 29M 28F
    2 blastocysts transferred 12/14/13
    Beta at 9dp5dt = 285; Beta at 12dp5dt = 925
    It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank goodness for insurance image
    image    image    image    image

• Not only was I charged twice for ultrasounds, the "second fetus" was more than the first!
  • Not only was I charged twice for ultrasounds, the "second fetus" was more than the first!

This!! I thought it was ridiculous to be charged for two ultrasounds!

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @katiegummow that looks like UHC... do you have a choice plus plan by chance?

Can anyone answer.. would the max out of pocket be my maximum or will it be the family's max once the babies are born?

For example: I have a $500 deductible + 15% of costs up to $4200.. but our family's max out of pocket is $8400.

****siggy warning****

Me 29/ DH 28
    DH- MFI (low count, 2-3% morph)

IUI #1 January - Clomid, Ovidrel: BFN
    IUI #2 February - Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel: BFP 1st beta-25, 2nd beta-56, 3rd beta-45, miscarriage
    IUI #3 April - CD3 U/S 4-10. Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel CD11 - Cancelled.. TI w/5 follicles-BFN
    IUI #3.1 May - CD3 U/S 5-6, Follistim start 5-11 thru 5-17, u/s 5-18 3 mature w/ a close 4th, IUI 5-20 - BFP!
                 Beta #1 12dpo - 164 & progesterone - 89!, Beta #2 16 dpo - 1189, 5w3d - u/s shows TWINS!
                 6/19- u/s showed heartbeats! Baby A 111 & Baby B 118, both measuring 6w1d
                 7/3- Baby A hb 170, Baby B hb 166 - both measuring perfect.
                 7/18 - Baby A 165, Baby B 171 - both measuring right on track & moving all around!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Our "billed" amount ended up being around $163,000 but insurance covered the majority of it. I have a deductible of $12,700 (family) and then only have to pay 70% of that ($8890)
    I had a vaginal delivery and stayed 3 days but my babies had to stay in the NICU for 13 days.
    Thank goodness for Aflac also. Was so grateful that I thought of the "just in case" scenario.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP#1 • 11/15/12 ectopic-too early to have EDD • MTX 11/30/12
    BFP#2 • 6/30/13 EDD 3/9/14...TWINS!! Baby A (BOY)-167 HB • Baby B (GIRL)-174 HB
    January 31, 2014 • Dominic Jayden 4lbs. 8oz.Ciara Aliyah 3lbs. 11oz. at 34w5d
  • MissEm15 said:

@katiegummow that looks like UHC... do you have a choice plus plan by chance?

Can anyone answer.. would the max out of pocket be my maximum or will it be the family's max once the babies are born?

For example: I have a $500 deductible + 15% of costs up to $4200.. but our family's max out of pocket is $8400.

Yes and yes!  You're good.  You have the same?  

In our case I had to meet my deductible 100% (which applies to may max OOP), we hit our family out of pocket at delivery but now that we have our boys added we have a larger family OOP which we now have to meet.  I was hoping it wouldn't increase until the first of the year, but alas... So, all the bills we had before adding the boys will go to my husband and I's max OOP, but after adding the boys we will have to pay.

For example my deductible was $2,500 and our family OOP max was $6,000.  When I met my deductible limit, I had $3,500 I still had to pay until we got our OOP reached.
    image    image    image    image

• Just throwing this in here as well- we found out after discharge (and after they came to my room asking for payment for the delivery (1 day postpartum a man came asking for our credit card, I was quite shocked by that))  that if you pay your balance in full the hospital we delivered at gives a 10% discount. My delivery balance was $3400 so that would have saved us over $300 so I called & made a huge stink about it after and got them to credit us toward the babies' bills since we hadn't gotten them yet... not sure how many hospitals have this policy but it is worth an ask for anyone planning to pay in full!!!!

• My insurance billed for two csections, but only one of the twins was csection. When I called to get it fixed the lady I spoke to tried to tell me I was wrong. I had to reiterate that I was the one who had twins and was very certain that they weren't both born via c section
  • groovygrl said:
    Just throwing this in here as well- we found out after discharge (and after they came to my room asking for payment for the delivery (1 day postpartum a man came asking for our credit card, I was quite shocked by that))  that if you pay your balance in full the hospital we delivered at gives a 10% discount. My delivery balance was $3400 so that would have saved us over $300 so I called & made a huge stink about it after and got them to credit us toward the babies' bills since we hadn't gotten them yet... not sure how many hospitals have this policy but it is worth an ask for anyone planning to pay in full!!!!

Thanks for that tidbit. With my singleton, the billing office called my room the next day asking for credit card payment and I told them my husband would be down later. I thought that was extremely odd. Since I'll be at the same hospital, I'll have to ask about a pay in full discount.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"