Homeschooling

HS while working?

Does anyone home school while maintaining a career (at least part time)?

***siggy warning***

Me: 29; DH: 53
TTC since February 2013 --- mild thin PCOS (or not, depending on which RE you ask), MFI

TI#1: BFN (April 2014; Clomid 50mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Clomid 50 mg x4 days)
IUI#1: c/p (May 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x10 days)
IUI#2: abandoned... O'd early & DH hormone issues (June 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x2 days)
IUI#2.1: BFN (July 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x4 days)

Moving on to IVF. (Why we're moving on to IVF)

IVF#1 (w/ICSI): BCP 9/9-9/23. Gonal-F, Ganirelix, Low-dose HCG (antagonist protocol). 41R/35M/32F... 2 transferred on 10/14, 14 frosties! On cabergoline to help avoid OHSS. BFN, possibly because of 90% drop in estrogen and progesterone a few days after ET.
FET#1: Transferring 2 on January 8. BFP! beta#1 (1/17): 408, beta#2 (1/20): 1310, first u/s scheduled 2/5

image    image

Re: HS while working?

• Yes, I have worked part-time while homeschooling for the last two years.  Now I have a 7YO, 5YO, 3YO and 1YO, and with the two boys in K and 1st now, it's becoming much harder to work and fit in all of their schooling.  It's not so much the lessons, but the activities outside of the house - co-op, music lessons, sports, etc. that pull us out of the house on my days home and then make me feel like I'm rushing to get through their book work.  DH and I made the decision for me to be home full-time and I will start in October.

With that said, I think it's very possible to work part-time and homeschool effectively.  I think it just depends on other lifestyle factors - number of children, amount of other household chores, etc.  We have many food issues/allergies to deal with in our house and do a lot of cooking from scratch, canning, and gardening.  If I wasn't doing all of that I would have a ton more free time to devote to their school and could perhaps continue working for longer.  Also, if I only had two kids it would be easier than four.

I currently work Tuesdays and Thursdays.  We do book work on the other days, including weekends if we need to.

• Loading the player...
  • @wifeofadam Thanks for your input. It gives MH and I more to think about in our approach to homeschooling. Is your paid work outside your home?

***siggy warning***

TTC since February 2013 --- mild thin PCOS (or not, depending on which RE you ask), MFI

TI#1: BFN (April 2014; Clomid 50mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Clomid 50 mg x4 days)
    IUI#1: c/p (May 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x10 days)
    IUI#2: abandoned... O'd early & DH hormone issues (June 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x2 days)

IVF#1 (w/ICSI): BCP 9/9-9/23. Gonal-F, Ganirelix, Low-dose HCG (antagonist protocol). 41R/35M/32F... 2 transferred on 10/14, 14 frosties! On cabergoline to help avoid OHSS. BFN, possibly because of 90% drop in estrogen and progesterone a few days after ET.
    FET#1: Transferring 2 on January 8. BFP! beta#1 (1/17): 408, beta#2 (1/20): 1310, first u/s scheduled 2/5

image    image
  • @wifeofadam Thanks for your input. It gives MH and I more to think about in our approach to homeschooling. Is your paid work outside your home?
    I have the option to work from home, however, with so many little ones in the house it is much easier to leave the house.  The original intent was for me to work from home, but there were just too many distractions here.  I am a grant writer, so technically I can write from anywhere, but with four little ones I need quiet. 

• That sounds reasonable, @wifeofadam :-)

***siggy warning***

image    image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"