Postpartum Depression

Does ppd ever go away?

My biggest fear is.I'm going to have to take meds forever and I'm never gonna be the same. Does ppd go away over time or will this be the new normal for me. I hope not. I just started prozac today how long before I start feeling better?

Re: Does ppd ever go away?

• This WILL go away! I am 10 weeks postpartum and I have been doing better the last few weeks, but before that I needed someone to remind me daily that I will not be like this forever. My primary dr, psychologist and the social workers from my support group all said that everyone gets better and in all their years they haven't seen anyone not recover. Remember one if the symptoms of postpartum depression is the feeling that you won't get any better. It's not true and is just how you are feeling right now.
    I don't know a lot about meds, but I know most if them take 2 weeks to kick in. Hang in there!
  • True PPD will go away!

Some people (*ahem* me) have an underlying mental illness that seems to surface after baby. So for me, it's never gone away because it was always there. Don't know if that makes sense or not, lol.

The best piece of advice I can give you is just take it one day at a time. Don't think about tomorrow or next month or next year. Just take your medicine and go on with your day. There will come a time when (with your dr.'s permission) you can wean off and see how you do, but that's not today so you don't have to worry about it. :)

*hugs* Hang in there!

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Loading the player...
  • In my case, no.  It's been going on for over 4 years, and I'm still on prozac. Every time I attempt to wean, I spiral and have to stay on it.
    A part of me thinks that depression was always there, it just didn't hit me as hard until after baby.
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
    Jase Eli-3/10/14

• flclflcl member
    If it is just PDD, there's a really good chance you will feel better.  Some women who were borderline depressed may experience PDD differently.  Like a lot of meds, you may experience an improvement with physical symptoms (sleep, appetite, energy level) in the first week or 2 but up to 8 weeks for the depressed mood to lift.  Hang in there.
  • I think (and I could be wrong), but for the most part people get better and go back to normal over time. I think what everyone is saying is that if you have a history of depression you will still continue to struggle with it.
    I have no history of depression and not really any of the risk factors for PPD and the social worker that runs my PPD support group said almost always women recover and go back to normal. That gives me hope.
  • Thanks ladies I just feel like many do that sometimes this will just be my new normal even though I know that what you all are saying is true.
  • @aleher15‌ I know. It's really hard to convince yourself that you will get better when you feel like this. I just finally have been able to think positively since I've been doing better, but the last two days I had bad days(still better than before) and I see that same negative thinking again. Luckily I am able to talk myself out of it.
  • It will go away. I am almost 8 months PP and the only reason I am choosing to stay on meds is because I am going back to school this fall. If all goes well I will likely go off of them at the beginning of the year.
    Wedding 08/08/08

BFP #1 12/29/10 EDD 08/29/11 Blighted Ovum 02/09/11 D&C 02/11/11

Clomid 50mg BFP #2 09/21/11 EDD 05/29/11 Chemical Pregnancy 10/4/11

BFP #3 4/19/13 Beta1- 106 Beta2- 524 Beta3- 3500 EDD 12/22/13 LO born 12/31/13

• @poohbear (and anyone that can answer). I am 11weekd postpartum and have been struggling with PPD myself. Although I know it will get better I am still not 100%. I am so much better, but still having quick moments that are feeling bad or like a yuck feeling. That sounds stupid and I'm not sure how to explain it, but it's like a wave comes over me at anytime and hits me and goes away. I can't predict it or tell you what causes it. Does this make sense, sound familiar or has it happened to anyone? I'm not sure if it's just the fear that I will go downhill again.
  • I am curious if I am prone to depression now after having PPD. I know my chances of having PPD again are higher, but I'm not sure about depression in general. I've never had any previous issues with depression and I only had mild anxiety.
  • I am curious if I am prone to depression now after having PPD. I know my chances of having PPD again are higher, but I'm not sure about depression in general. I've never had any previous issues with depression and I only had mild anxiety.
    This is a great question. I'm curious as to what others say.

It took a while for me to feel back to how I was before. I did have moments where I was feeling bad and then felt better. I had episodes of crying uncontrollably, then I would be okay. I don't know exactly when it stopped, but I haven't had an episode like that in a long time.
    Wedding 08/08/08

BFP #1 12/29/10 EDD 08/29/11 Blighted Ovum 02/09/11 D&C 02/11/11

Clomid 50mg BFP #2 09/21/11 EDD 05/29/11 Chemical Pregnancy 10/4/11

BFP #3 4/19/13 Beta1- 106 Beta2- 524 Beta3- 3500 EDD 12/22/13 LO born 12/31/13

• deanna1313deanna1313 member
    edited August 2014
    Thanks @poohbear033‌. I'm not on any meds so I'm not sure if it will take me longer or what, but I guess time will tell. I can't wait for the day that I feel completely better and like myself!
  • With DS1 I was on meds for 9 months. I weaned off and was fine. With DS2 I was on meds for maybe 3 months. I felt better after each one. I'm so glad I got the help I needed.
  • So it was a little better with your second pregnancy. I am so scared at the thought of having another baby. I do not want to go through the PPD again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"