Babies: 6 - 9 Months

How much formula?

W is 8 months and has about 30 ounces of formula a day, and usually two servings of baby food. I know the food is 'just for fun'. Just curious what amount of formula others are getting. I have read a few things today that say 16-24 ounces, plus food!? W is right on track w/ weight at 18 lbs. Just curious! Will follow up with pedi at 9 month appt! :)

Re: How much formula?

• My LO just turned 7 mo today. I took him to the doc today actually to discuss feeding concerns and an appropriate schedule. My doc said 16 to 20 oz of BM or formula with 3 meals of cereal a day and 4-5 servings of fruits or veggies. I have been struggling with a feeding schedule because he is the size and height of a 12 mo old (23 lb and 30 in) She said the iron enriched cereal is important now because they begin to burn off the iron soon not able to replenish it without the cereal and the added formula will bind to the iron and can make them at risk for anemia. The feeding "just for fun" thing I would take lightly unless you are still breastfeeding. My doc said most nutrition should come from food and drinking should be when they are thirsty.

Another doc in the same practice gave complete different advice though. By 8 mo I think some added fruits and veggies are a good thing since by a year you want to transition them off a bottle.
  • Thanks for the feedback @babyandrew23! I am curious to see what  our pedi says next month. At the 6 month appt he said to start on food 'as he would take it and was interested'. I am not BF anymore, but he is on the iron enriched formula. Are you able to stick to the 16-20 oz of formula? I never feel like the food is satisfying to W. Every time I feed him food we end up with a bottle about 20 minutes later! BTW, W's first name is Andrew. Love it :)
  • Loading the player...
  • He was getting 26 oz of formula (3 6 oz and 1 8 oz before bed).  Now that I'm trying the above routine we'll see if he can hold off to just 3 bottles a day.  I took away his a.m. bottle so he has cereal and a fruit before day care.  My pedi said try to do the "3 meals" breakfast, lunch and dinner with cereal/fruit and veggies and I'm trying to just do the bottles in between breakfast and lunch and then lunch and dinner then one before bed.  He ended up with 4 bottles today 
  • My daughter is 7 months and has three 6-7oz bottles a day, plus rice cereal in the afternoon made with 3 ounces of formula and a veggie or fruit around 7pm mixed in with cereal and an ounce of formula to thin it out (I make my own baby food and make it a little thicker).  

The ped told us 20oz of formula at a minimum and to try veggies before fruit.  The only fruit she's had is applesauce, we should be done trying veggies next week so we can try more fruit.  She LOVES her cereal and hasn't met a veggie she didn't like.  
    Meet DH in 2008 - Engaged on 4.11.2011 - Married on 9.22.2012 - BFP on 5.10.2013 - DD born via emergency c-section on 1.23.2014 

• My daughter is about to turn 9 months, she drinks 24 oz. of formula per day plus 3 meals. Usually fruit in the morning, veggies and protein for the other 2 meals.

We didn't bother with cereal because we were told it was empty calories.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"