April 2014 Moms
Options

Growing out of reflux

I know there are a lot of momma's on this board whose little ones have reflux.   I'm curious to know from some STM's, who maybe had LO's with reflux, how long it took for them to grow out of it, if ever.  My LO has been on Prevacid since he was about a month old and at his 4 month check-up we asked if we should continue since we were down to the last couple pills.  We were told to go a head and give it a try.  DS had his last pill on Monday and the days following he has been super fussy and only sleeping two hour increments at night.  I don't know if its because the effects of the Prevacid wore off or if there was another reason behind the change.  We ended up calling the doctor who said to go ahead and try to put him back on Prevacid and see if the fussiness persists.  Has anybody else tried stopping reflux medication for their LO's?  I'm really not in a hurry to to try to get him off the medicine because if it's working and he is happy that is what I care about.  Just curious as to what others have done or are going to do.  Thanks!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Growing out of reflux

• Options
    Our LO is on Zantac. She was just off it for a couple of days due to a stomach bug which made her vomit it up. I was hoping she wouldn't need it much longer but after just missing a few doses she was really fussy and spitting up more. Needless to say she went back on it last night.

My Dr said that most of the babies he has treated have been able to go off their meds by 9 months. I am hoping that maybe by 6 months, once she is eating some solids and sitting up fully...
  • Options

juniper75 said:
     My Dr said that most of the babies he has treated have been able to go off their meds by 9 months. I am hoping that maybe by 6 months, once she is eating some solids and sitting up fully...
    This was my experience with my #1. She was on Prevacid and we took her off in her 8th month
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO is on zantac @ 5 months and we just upped his dosage bc he seemed fussier and was spitting up more. The ped hadn't adjusted his dosage for weight at the 4 month bc he was hoping DS was starting to grow out of it. 

I've heard most babies outgrow it by around 9 months but it can go on for longer. 

~Chrissy 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LO is on Axid. I brought up the same issue at her 4 month appt on Monday. Her doctor said if we felt like she may not need it anymore that we could stop the morning dose for two weeks, and if that's going well, we could try stopping the evening dose as well. At this point I'm having trouble figuring out if her fussing is due to reflux or just a reaction from her shots or due to the cold that she currently has. So many variables!

Photobucket imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Upped DS's dose a week or two ago. No plans to go off of it yet.

• Options
    It has been a few years but DS was on it for a while - I'd say til he was close to a year. We did wean him off before we stopped entirely - I think we dropped the morning first and then the evening dose.

• Options
    LO is completely off zantac for the past 2 weeks. No issues. He is a happy spitter now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"