VBAC

Epidural with Vbac?

nursemarie925nursemarie925 member
edited August 2014 in VBAC
Just wondering, IF you've attempted a Vbac (whether successful or not) AND had an epidural, was it done due to "recommendation" from your OB or based on your own personal choices for pain management. I know everyone's doctors are different. Just trying to see if many of you have drs that feel like epidurals are necessary in case of complications.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Epidural with Vbac?

• I've had epidurals with all of my pregnancies; the first was a c-section, and the second and third were successful VBACs. I did it because I wanted pain relief, and my doctors were supportive of my wishes.
  • I've had 2 med free vaginal deliveries, then 1 c-section. I had such an awful experience with the spinal that I'd like to avoid getting an epidural or spinal if possible. I know some drs like to "require" an epidural in order to attempt a Vbac for emergencies, just curious about the experiences of you ladies. As a nurse, I know that no interventions can be forced upon me.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I will likely have an epidural placed but not used, in case of requiring a c/s - but mostly because I'm having twins. I hadn't considered the possibility that a doctor might recommend having one placed for a singleton vbac. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• I chose to have an epidural with my VBAC and my doctor was totally okay with it. I'm in Japan though, and things are different here.
  • I had a successful VBAC and epidural with baby #3. I do not remember if it was advised or not.  I requested it during labor.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I delivered with a mw and initially told them no epidural.  Hospital policy for vbacs had me on the monitors continually and I ended up requesting an epi since I couldn't get in the shower or move around and I just needed some help.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Im planning on a vbac and an epi. I feel that if things dont go as planned and I have to have an emerg csec, I dont want to go under gen anesthesia. Id rather have the epi in place so I dont miss everything and have to come out of gen anesthesia 

Id like to go med free and correct me if Im wrong, but you cant get an epi in time for an emerg csec?
  • I finally went to my dr. And she DOES recommend the epi being placed during a Vbac. Obviously she can't require it, but in case of an emergency, it's her preference. This may not seem like an important thing, but this was a large reason I wanted to avoid another c-section. I have a lot to think about in the next few months, I don't know what I will do.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Im planning on a vbac and an epi. I feel that if things dont go as planned and I have to have an emerg csec, I dont want to go under gen anesthesia. Id rather have the epi in place so I dont miss everything and have to come out of gen anesthesia 

Id like to go med free and correct me if Im wrong, but you cant get an epi in time for an emerg csec?

I def don't want to go under general, so for me the option is getting the spinal and having a section or epidural and trying for a Vbac. I too would try for med free (I've had 2 Med free births prior to the section) and no, they lwouldn't even attempt Wasting the time on a spinal vs general in case of emergency.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My OB and mid-wife asked if I was planning on getting an epidural.  Although they were okay with whatever I wanted to do, they did state that they do prefer VBAC patients to get epidurals as it's easier in case a c-section is needed.  I did get an epidural.
    ~Jessica~ 

• My doctor strongly preferred it. She at least wanted to place the catheter so that a c section could happen quick in an emergency. I was completely ok with it because of the CFM I couldn't move around much for pain relief, and my labour progressed quite quickly therefore the contractions were pretty intense in comparison to my previous labour which was slower. It ended up being very beneficial as I haemorrhaged from internal vaginal tearing and required surgery to complete the repair. The doctor was going to have to take me to the OR under general anesthesia but because I had the catheter the anesthetist was comfortable topping up my epi and giving me some other narcotics so they could do the surgery right there in the delivery room and my husband was able to stay too.  My doctor believes the reason for the significant tearing was that she came out way way too fast. She suggested  I have an epi and top it up prior to pushing as opposed to letting it wear off prior to like last time. She said this will slow down baby's descent, and also we may skip a contraction while pushing. Based on my experience and discussions with my doctor, I think epi for a vbac is a good choice!
  • I had an epi of my own choosing, but then still ended up needing general when I went in for my emergency c section because the epi wasn't able to control the pain by then. Turned out I had ruptured, so if you are feeling constant pain, even with epi, that may be a good sign to push for more attention from your doctor....in the end I was glad I was knocked out because the whole thing ended up pretty traumatic.