Stay at Home Moms

Was Talking To A Dad Today...(no point to this post)

I was in Starbucks today waiting for my drink and this guy strikes up a conversation with me.  Comments on how busy I must be (I also had the little boy I watch with us), he goes on to say, "I have a 1 year old and I know how busy he keeps me, I can only imagine having 3!"  At first I thought I misunderstood and maybe he meant a grandson because he had to have been in his sixties.  But then he went on to say his daughters are in their 40s and he has a 1 year old with his second wife.  He seemed like such a nice guy and a proud father, I was genuinely happy for him, he seemed so proud.  I just can not imagine having 40 old children and starting over again!  That must really be something! 

Re: Was Talking To A Dad Today...(no point to this post)

• On an almost weekly basis my husband tells me "this is why we have kids in our 20's and 30's" because it is so exhausting to keep up with them!  I can't imagine doing this in another 30+ years!  That age is when you borrow the grandkids and ship them home when you need to sit down!!  I wonder how old his new wife is!  And how totally weird would that be for his kids (in their 40's) to have a brother that is likely younger than their own kids (by like 15yrs)!!!!!!!

• =Lee=B said:
    On an almost weekly basis my husband tells me "this is why we have kids in our 20's and 30's" because it is so exhausting to keep up with them!  I can't imagine doing this in another 30+ years!  That age is when you borrow the grandkids and ship them home when you need to sit down!!  I wonder how old his new wife is!  And how totally weird would that be for his kids (in their 40's) to have a brother that is likely younger than their own kids (by like 15yrs)!!!!!!!
    I know I was trying to imagine calling up your daughters and being like, "Guess what?  You are going to be a big sister!"  Must have really been something!  I wonder if he had grandkids, he didn't mention them if he did.
  • Loading the player...
  • sschwegesschwege member
    edited August 2014
    Leftie22 said:
    I can't help it, it always irks me when men get away with stuff like this, when a woman never would. Wasn't everyone saying that 60 year old woman who got pregnant was a horrible person, selfish, it makes the news, etc. etc., but a guy does it and it's just fine. No one's writing an article about him. But I'm getting old and turning into a crabby prude. I also think it's creepy for a guy in his 60s to have a wife who's still young enough to have kids. Can't help it. Creepy.
    I think it depends on the situation.  If they truly are in love, then I don't have a problem with it.  My uncle married a woman 20 years younger.  His wife is only one year older than my husband!  My uncle must be about 60 and he has an almost 11 year old and a 9 year old with his wife.  My uncle always wanted to get married and have kids, but didn't find the right woman until much later in life.  I just can't find fault with a situation like that.

I do see what you are saying though, because there is a double standard in this country!
  • My neighbor growing up had two kids that are about 5-6 years older than me. He remarried after his divorce and he now has a 6 year old daughter. He now has twin granddaughters and a grandson that are roughly the same age as his youngest daughter. They all go to the same elementary school.
    Because you're mine, I walk the line....
    Landry Mark: 11/5/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't know. We have a few men on their second marriages in our circle. They all say they feel they are better dads now. They spent their first marriages chasing career and do seem genuinely happy and like great dads. The best dad at preschool drop off was this man who must have been 60. He was retired, he seemed so devoted. Yeah, I get the older parents won't be around forever and that can seem selfish. But I will be in favour of any parent who seems happy, involved and devoted to their kids, no matter what age.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"