Parenting
Options

Metro Detroit Mamas! (breastfeeding discrimination)

Today at Lakeside mall in Body Central, I was told I couldn't use a fitting room to nurse my baby while my sisters were shopping in the store.
The store manager who I asked to unlock a room for me looked at me with disgust, closed the fitting room door and said "you can't do that here!" and then proceeded to tell me there is a bathroom down the hall.

Be sure to NIP there

Re: Metro Detroit Mamas! (breastfeeding discrimination)

• Options
    It was a woman! And there was not one of the ten fitting rooms in use.
    I thought, instead of using my cover or just nursing right there, (which I obviously could have done), using a fitting room would have been the most modest and comfortable thing to do...I have done this a dozen times at other stores without an issue.
  • Options
    BeeKayy21BeeKayy21 member
    edited August 2014
    After she closed the door and said "you can't do that here" I said, "oh, well since you say I can't feed my baby in the fitting room, then I'll just do it here then" she said "no, you can't do that in here. There is a bathroom down the hall". She acted like I asked her if I could take a crap on the bench of her fitting room...seriously, like it was disgusting or something.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

BeeKayy21 said:

After she closed the door and said "you can't do that here" I said, "oh, well since you say I can't feed my baby in the fitting room, then I'll just do it here then" she said "no, you can't do that in here. There is a bathroom down the hall". She acted like I asked her if I could take a crap in the bench of her fitting room...seriously, like it was disgusting or something.

That's a little different than your OP.

Look, I get that she sucked. And if she asked you to leave the store, then yes, that is discrimination. I just don't agree that you are entitled to a space intended for their paying customers to try on merchandise for use that is not trying on merchandise.

If she told you you could not BF in the store at all, not just in a fitting room, then yes. That is discrimination and you need to report her. If it was just that she wasn't nice about not opening the fitting room...I wish everyone was supportive of BFing and NIPing, but they are not required to be so, beyond not hasseling you when you do so.

Yeah, she apparently didn't want me breastfeeding anywhere in that store. O thought it would be less offensive ti those that take offense to mothers nursing their babies to just go into a fitting room..but no, that wasnt acceptable to her, let alone me nursing anywhere in that store. The only suitable suggestion, in her mind, was the bathroom.
  • Options

Your follow up is quite different from the OP.
    Quite

The OP was the sum of what occurred.
  • Options
    After I had my son, I nip all the time at that mall! I've never heard of that store to be honest but I've never had a problem at that mall as a whole. What a dick manager!
  • Options
    Smootchy said:

After I had my son, I nip all the time at that mall! I've never heard of that store to be honest but I've never had a problem at that mall as a whole. What a dick manager!

She really was. I talked to the manager at Oakland malls store who I called for the district managers number and she was super nice! She's like, "I let moms change their baby's diapers in our fitting room, let alone nurse their baby! You can sit in the middle of that store if you wanted to and feed her and there's nothing she could do!"

• Options
    And you know what! Apparently everyone wants it all - women dont have the right to a fitting room to nurse their baby, yet they also shouldnt be nursing without a cover...which is it?
    Either way, in my book, even if I walked right out of the store after being denied a fitting room without saying a word, being a paying customers (my teenage sisters were shopping in the store at the time), she still sucked and was discriminatory. She just topped it off by denying me to nurse anywhere in that store.
  • Options
    Did you mention where you ended up nursing? 

• Options

Did you mention where you ended up nursing? 

Motherhood.

• Options

I am not sure where any one said women shouldn't be nursing without a cover?
    Discrimatory behavior or discrimination is the "unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex" ( Websters). So if they were letting people in fitting rooms to take naps, have sex, change diapers, or tons of other things that weren't trying on clothes but then denied you a room because your stated purpose is BFing? Yes I'd agree that sounds like discrimination. But that's not what happened her.
    You have a right to BF any where that is public, but they have a right to refuse a fitting room for any reason too.

I still agree that IF she really did actually say you couldn't breastfeed in the open area of the store, she was in the wrong. But that's a pretty big fact to leAve out of your original call to arms

OK. To me it wasn't a big fact to leave out. Either way, to me, she made me feel like I was disgusting to even ask to nurse my baby in the fitting room of that store, and that is my issue.

"IF she really did actually say".. ? Pft. Give me a break!
  • Options
    BeeKayy21 said:
    OK. To me it wasn't a big fact to leave out. Either way, to me, she made me feel like I was disgusting to even ask to nurse my baby in the fitting room of that store, and that is my issue. "IF she really did actually say".. ? Pft. Give me a break!
    It's unfortunate you felt ashamed after her comment but her saying you can't breastfeed at all changes things.  

• Options

I think we all agree she was a dick, but you're coming off a little entitled here, which makes me wonder how the actual exchange went down. You did leave out a major point to the story, and when you tell it in the future, I suggest including it if you want the reaction you are looking for.

If - and yes, it's "if," we only have your word here - it went down exactly as you say, I suggest calling tomorrow and speaking with someone above her. Most stores don't want the PR nightmare that is kicking a BFing mother out of their store. Some don't care, and that's a shame and worthy of drawing attention to.

I'm coming off entitled, because I am now having to defend myself once again in regards to this issue.
    The story is actually even longer than I have previously stated. I was giving the general conclusion of what happened. I was basically just trying to get some NIPage there and was going to do something else, but here I am! So...here is the full story -
    I took my two teenage sisters school close shopping at lakeside mall...we eventually went into body central. My kid started crying because she wanted to nurse. I figured the fitting room would be most modest and comfortable. I asked for a fitting room. She came over and started to unlock a door. I said, "can I have one with a bench because I want to nurse my baby". She obviously didn't hear the last part because she said they all have benches. I called my sister over to give me my phone off the stroller. The lady was standing there with the door opened and asked me where the clothes are and I repeated " oh, I was just wanting to nurse my baby". I was looked at with disgust and told I couldn't use a fitting room to sit and nurse my baby. After which, I sarcastically said "oh...I can't feed my baby in there so then I'll jut do it here then...?" She then said, once again, "no. You can't do that here" then told me there was a restroom down the hall
    After which I said, "umm...I don't feed my baby in the bathroom". Then she smugly said "oh..umm sorry. Idk but you can't do it here"
    Then I said "I'm not sure if you realize this but I actually have the right to feed my baby wherever I chose. There are laws against exactly what you just said to me" And she said, "ugh no" and walked away.Upon which we left the store and I began to look for the corporate number and found a nearby store number and spoke to a very nice store manager there and she completely agreed that this lady was out of line. After which I fed my baby at Motherhood.

• Options
    aditigirl said:

"Close shopping"?!

I WAS going to edited that, but I'm not now. Seriously... That's annoying.
  • Options
    aditigirl said:

BeeKayy21 said:

aditigirl said:

"Close shopping"?!

What's annoying? That I called you incorrect word usage?
    If you keep reading, I used the correct word usage farther down. It was a mistake. Sorry.

• Options
    aditigirl said:

BeeKayy21 said:

aditigirl said:

"Close shopping"?!

What's annoying? That I called you incorrect word usage?
    "Your".
  • Options
    She definitely was out of line. But there is a difference in saying you can't use the fitting rooms for anything other than trying on clothes and saying you can't BF in the whole store. You're still in the right, but that information is important for us to match your level of anger.

I think she needs to be educated on state law, clearly, so I would be calling too.

Harry Styles = Life Ruiner

There’s a lightning in your eyes I can't deny
    Then there’s me inside a sinking boat running out of time
    Without you I'll never make it out alive
    But I know, yes, I know we’ll be alright
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    J. 1.14.13 my reason for breathing 
  • Options
    I'm very frustrated right now! Can you tell? Sorry :(
  • Options
    ShakeyJakeyShakeyJakey member
    edited August 2014
    I don't know how big of a deal you're planning on making the issue (I'm thinking you're not planning a nurse in), but if we questioned a part your story, you can count on others (who are not part of a large community of mostly mothers and women) doing it 1000x worse. They'll want to know why you didn't do this or that and question every decision you made. So next time you tell it, make sure that you clarify you tried to feed your baby in the main area of the store and you were told you weren't allowed, or whatever

• Options

I don't know how big of a deal you're planning on making the issue (I'm thinking you're not planning a nurse in), but if we questioned a part your story, you can count on others (who are not part of a large community of mostly mothers and women) doing it 1000x worse. They'll want to know why you didn't do this or that and question every decision you made. So next time you tell it, make sure that you clarify you tried to feed your baby in the main area of the store and you were told you weren't allowed, or whatever

I know. And I understand completely. I have just been saying it all day, I didn't feel like repeating it all...know what I mean? But I totally know what you are saying. I really don't plan on taking it to an extreme but...if you are from metro Detroit, please nip here haha
  • Options
    BeeKayy21 said:

I know. And I understand completely. I have just been saying it all day, I didn't feel like repeating it all...know what I mean? But I totally know what you are saying. I really don't plan on taking it to an extreme but...if you are from metro Detroit, please nip here haha
    I understand. But that is a key part for us to get your point.

Situations like this always make me wonder what I would say in their shoes. I know the law is on our side but idk if I would remember it at the time and have enough brain power to make a witty comment. Now I know to grab a shirt to "try on" if I ever want to nurse in a dressing room.

• Options

BeeKayy21 said:

I understand. But that is a key part for us to get your point.

Situations like this always make me wonder what I would say in their shoes. I know the law is on our side but idk if I would remember it at the time and have enough brain power to make a witty comment. Now I know to grab a shirt to "try on" if I ever want to nurse in a dressing room.
    Apparently lol...like I said though, this is the first time in a year I have had an issue like this. I was completely taken by surprise. Usually people are more than OK with me going in a room, especially the ones you can tell aren't comfortable with nursing....you'd think they would WANT you to go in there opposed to doing it in front of them.
    But yeah, note to self - bring clothing with you so you don't cause issues.
  • Options
    I feel like id do it anyway and try to let her stop me.

• Options
    I'm team OP on this. Sounds like the employee just has a problem with nursing mothers and was making an issue out of it. Employee was being an asshat for no reason. Adding in the fact that she was then told to go use the bathroom, the employee was obviously just ignorant about the rights of nursing mothers (in response to the argument that maybe she would have been cool with it in the store, but not just in a changing room). Legally, they may not have to let you use the changing room. But they also can't stop you if you were to nurse your baby while trying on clothes. So maybe next time pretend to try on a shirt.

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    I too am curious why you left to nurse somewhere else.
  • Options
    :Or get the manager's name, plop down in the middle of the store and whip out a boob, and enjoy raining hell down on her when she tries to make you leave. If you're feeling feisty.

But now this becomes a safety issue.  Stores have to legally have aisles open for both fire issues and for ease of passage for disabled guests.  You could easily be asked to leave and it STILL not be an anti-NIP issue.  Most mall stores aren't really very big.
  • Options

HOW OLD WAS THIS PERSON?   Was she young, she probably has no clue what breastfeeding is about because she's not a mother.  That store attracts usually a younger salesperson because the clothes are like clubbing clothes.

Secondly, I'm still stuck on why you'd let your sister shop in Body Central for Back to school clothes.  Those clothes are not appropriate for school.  

• Options
    JUST AN FYI:

As someone who lives in the metro Detroit area, most of our malls have bathrooms with nice separate sitting areas with comfy chairs for moms to nurse. So, pointing a mom to the nearest restroom isn't "ignorant" or "offensive" (even if this particular employee was being rude).

• Options
    pobrecita said:

Ok but some moms do need a special place to nurse.

People will get pissed either way. Jaysus.

Which is why I said some. But just because there is space for BF doesn't mean we have to use it and pressuring women to do is the same as pressuring them to use a cover or bathroom. That was my point. I realize OP did want a space but I'm talking about in other situations because the poster phrased it as an FYI

• Options
    CalciferHeartCalciferHeart member
    edited August 2014
    OP are you aware of the breastfeeding legislature in our state? If you haven't read the Breastfeeding Anti-Discrimination Act that the governor signed in June I suggest you do so. I think being aware of your rights will give you better expectations while NIP.

While I prefer to nurse in a private space a retailer does not have to offer one. They, however, can no longer refuse service or remove you from a public space.

You can read the new bill here:https://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(0deydcj3bdjquwuxil1uemjd))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-Act-197-of-2014&query=on

Eta sorry for that joke of a link
  • Options
    I guess my point is:
    Is the refusal to give you a dressing room rage inducing? No. Is it disappointing? Yes. Being told to leave the store is the concerning bit. That's where I'd focus my energy.
  • Options
    Spin313 said:
    JUST AN FYI: As someone who lives in the metro Detroit area, most of our malls have bathrooms with nice separate sitting areas with comfy chairs for moms to nurse. So, pointing a mom to the nearest restroom isn't "ignorant" or "offensive" (even if this particular employee was being rude).
    I had a something similar written yesterday but didn't post it. I think it's macy's and lord & taylor at lakeside have lounge chairs and a separate area away from sinks and toilets. Also Lakeside has those brown weird little nook/seating areas. ...clearly it's been awhile since I've been there, but I second your post 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"