October 2013 Moms

UO

2»

Re: UO

• YES!!!!!!!! We bought a house a couple years ago and knew some of the windows were painted shut. We could at least open one window in each room for safety. Tried to pry open the others and found out they were painted shut on the outside as well! Still haven't gotten all of them to open and the paint job inside and out was done sub par. Definitely something we'll be looking at when we buy our next home.
    That seems a bit extreme. Buy yourself a box cutter and a ladder. Problem solved.
    ---------------------------- When you have over 20 3'x6' windows and they all have storm windows it's a PITA. You have to work on freeing the inside and outside paint. Added bonus is that the sliding section to move the window up and down is caked with old paint. So yeah...wanna come help me?? ;)
    I have lived in a shit-ton of old houses with layer upon layer of painted over windows, so sadly this is not an unknown endeavor to me. :) It's a PITA, but lots of things about home ownership are. I remember when I used to devote entire weekends, sunup to sundown, to projects like this. Now I'm like, gee I hope I have time to run the vacuum this weekend!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • baconface said:
    Ooh also, I hate toilets that have the push button to flush it. My in-laws are re-doing their bathroom and were like, "We are thinking of maybe getting a slightly fancier toilet, like maybe one with a flush button instead of a handle."

My objections were threefold (I did not say this out loud):

1) Why are you spending extra money on a fancy toilet? Unless it wipes your ass for you, what is the point exactly?

2) Why is a button fancier than a handle exactly? I don't get it.

3) Buttons on toilets are ANNOYING. They take more effort to push in. 

Just get a handle like the rest of us peasants.

#Iactuallylikemyinlaws #Ijusthatetoiletswithbuttons
    When we bought our house, it had a newly renovated bathroom, including a push-button toilet seat that YOU HAVE TO HOLD DOWN to flush. I hatehatehate it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     BFP #1: 3.2.13 | EDD: 10.21.13 | Born: 10.25.13
     BFP #2: 9.9.14 | EDD 5.13.15 | MC: 9.24.14
    BFP #3: 1.4.15 | EDD 8.23.15
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • WeljadraakWeljadraak member
    edited August 2014
    I don't know how much truth this bed sharing = kid never sleeps alone holds.  We can only go by anecdotes at this point so here's two:  my sister slept with my parents a lot, like until she was 10 maybe!?  and my parents were definitely not bedsharers from birth.  second anecdote - CJ is currently asleep in his crib and has no problem with it.  

so I think really, it depends.

• edited August 2014
    Amjoy25 said:
    @Amjoy25‌ - You know I love you but I bedshared with DD...she sleeps in her own bed just fine. I get it...bed sharing isn't for everyone but it works for us.
    Well, you need to teach my nanny your ways. She can't get her kid out of her bed.

I've had a lot of teenage clients who are still in their parents bed from bed sharing.....most are boys.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo octoberowls_zps78dd2214.png

May Siggy: Baby in disguise

photo photo1-1.jpg
  • WeljadraakWeljadraak member
    edited August 2014
    I could never sleep with my parents. Ew.  eta, not ew in a gross way.  Just ugh.  uncomfortable! Plus they both are the loudest snorers ever.  I can tolerate FI, sometimes barely.

• edited August 2014
    I've been doing family therapy with children and teens since 2007 and I've been shocked at how many families are still doing it when they are older. Seeing those cases alone would make me up my mind on bed sharing the other way but perhaps they are extreme cases and only one out of all I saw thought it was a problem...and I think she only thought it was a problem because she was recently divorced. I thought it was a problem for all..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo octoberowls_zps78dd2214.png

May Siggy: Baby in disguise

photo photo1-1.jpg
  • Amjoy25 said:
    @Amjoy25‌ - You know I love you but I bedshared with DD...she sleeps in her own bed just fine. I get it...bed sharing isn't for everyone but it works for us.
    Well, you need to teach my nanny your ways. She can't get her kid out of her bed.

I've had a lot of teenage clients who are still in their parents bed from bed sharing.....most are boys.
    Clearly @PharmTechMom1216 needs to pen a book.

photo f5b87909-fb54-49d9-91f2-1c11ca11c6c6_zpsb539db06.jpgimage
    imageimagehttps://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/07/a4ee8a96ea9a5b36f67716d2e4a85b.jpg

• carawasa said:
    I hate sitting in the dark. Like at home watching tv there needs to be a lamp on...
    Me too, for sure. This is super unpopular when we're watching a movie, but I just can't not have a light on.
  • I don't get when adults make a huge deal out of their birthdays. I get milestones and big ones, but why do you need some all out, crazy expensive celebration every year? Can you think of nothing better to spend your money on? Ugh, and the ones who pout because it wasn't good/big enough…
    Ive never understood how anyone can try and dictate what is and is not ok for another to spend their money on.  I also love celebrating every birthday and if we have enough money to make a vacation out of it we do, if not I have no problem shelling out the money to throw a party for all my friends to celebrate too.  I think my memories from these vacations and parties is some of my best spent money.  

I am not trying to dictate what anyone spends their money on. There is one lady I know who will buy new weave, new lashes, new shoes, new everything, and go to the most expensive restaurant in NY for her birthday. That's great, but then I can't feel sorry for you when you don't have rent money, gas money or any of the other necessities. Spend your money however you want, but be reasonable. If you have the money, do it. I just wish some people would be more responsible. At some age, you should think a little bit further than your birthday. Retirement fund? A car to get to work? All those things seem a lot more important than a night out.

Yes, I also know a 30 something year old who has to have 50 celebrations for her birthday every year. I'm all for celebrating, but can we be reasonable about it?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• SHAWNACPA said:
    This probably is not an UO, but Melissa#'s new baby pics this morning are really tugging at my heart strings.

Where?? I need to see them!

• SHAWNACPA said:
    This probably is not an UO, but Melissa#'s new baby pics this morning are really tugging at my heart strings.

Where?? I need to see them!
    @deedee1017 wish granted :) 

you're the best!! Ty!

• I have never liked and I don't think I'll ever like the idea of bed sharing. Doesn't seem worth the risks which have been discussed and debated ad nauseum.

My UO is that I strongly side eye people that set up donation websites (such as gofundme) to cover their own personal expenses. Then share it on Facebook every day and try to guilt their friends into donating. It seems like 21st century begging.
    My ex bf totally just did this. I was like whaaaaaaaa????
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • Seems like there are quite a few selfish airplane seat reclining jerks on our board. Who knew? ;)

• Let me join the "I hate motorcycles" train!

Our neighbor has a motorcycle and dirt bikes and they work on them all. The. Time. They rev over and over and over and it's like nails on a freaking chalkboard. Not to mention, it's right below LOs bedroom window. He also goes about 60 mph between his house and the corner, which is about four houses away.
  • I would be p/o if my flight got delayed because of two people acting like fools.

• Yeah I definitely recline my seat on flights. I'm friends with a couple pilots and they are of the strong opinion that the space taken up by the reclined seat belongs to the recliner, not the person behind them. Good enough for me.

I also love bed sharing, and feel like as ds has gotten older he's getting more independent with his sleep so he doesn't need it (bedsharing) as much. So I don't think it'll be a problem for him to move out in the not too distant future.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also, @sleepy33‌ , I enjoy your neighbor rage, it is just like mine. One of my neighbors has had his boat parked on the street for 2 months. It has never moved. He lives on the corner so it makes it a blind curve and it is scary. There is a city ordinance against parking things like that for longer than 24 hours. We have called the city but so far nothing has changed. I told DH I want to spray paint "move me!" on the side of it, see if that does anything. Let's band together and slash all the tires and spray paint all the boats!
    OMG are we the same person? Two houses down from me, on the corner (technically on the other street, so not actually on my street), is another rental house. They are college kids, I'm sure. These mothafuckers have a two car garage and a driveway and STILL park both of their cars on MY goddamn street. And they park like a foot off the curb and it's on the corner, so it's the same blind corner situation as yours. One car never gets driven. A tree branch fell on it and sat there for months. A cop ticketed it once, and the ticket sat there until it rotted. I finally called the (non-emergency) police number and reported it. They took the car to the car wash, moved it a couple feet further up the road and there it sits still. It makes me irrationally angry. Nobody else parks on the street but them. Fuckers. PARK IN YOUR DAMN GARAGE OR DRIVEWAY.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"