November 2014 Moms
Options

What if your water breaks at work?

So, what happens if your water breaks at work? Has anyone (STMs?) had this happen before?

I'm bringing this up because I had a friend mention to me that she was told by her coworkers that, by law, the building had to shut down and evacuated because it was considered "hazardous human waste." I don't believe this -- or at the very least, I don't believe it's a law. If anything I think it was likely just her building's policy.

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
TTC since 2011
Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: What if your water breaks at work?

• Options
    I work at a major oil refinery and my department shares a building with the safety and health department, I'll ask...BRB
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I lurk the other BMBs quite a bit to read their birth stories and I don't recall a single one where the woman had her water break at work.  Also, a while back on one of the other birth month boards there was a thread discussing where the person was when their water broke - the OP was looking to see if anyone had funny/embarrassing stories.  Most women had their water break either at the hospital or at home in bed.  There were a few that stated they had their water break during the car ride to the hospital - so here is your warning to have a towel ready.  Some people experience a lot of fluid whereas other women just have a long, slow leak.

• Options
    If my water actually broke at work, I'm sure someone else would clean it up. We've all cleaned grosser stuff before and everyone else there has had children.

I would probably stick around for a bit to see what was actually happening and which stage and phase of labor I was in before deciding what to do next.

My house is 30 minutes away from my office in the wrong direction from the hospital. Hospital is 10 minutes the other way. DH works all over, so he may or may not be close by to come get me. All else fails, I'm sure a coworker could/would drive me home or to hospital and dh could meet me there.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    sj+cm131 said:
    I lurk the other BMBs quite a bit to read their birth stories and I don't recall a single one where the woman had her water break at work.  Also, a while back on one of the other birth month boards there was a thread discussing where the person was when their water broke - the OP was looking to see if anyone had funny/embarrassing stories.  Most women had their water break either at the hospital or at home in bed.  There were a few that stated they had their water break during the car ride to the hospital - so here is your warning to have a towel ready.  Some people experience a lot of fluid whereas other women just have a long, slow leak.
    I just got a new mattress and new sheets. Think I should be throwing a towel down when I get closer to my due date? That mattress was expensive yo!
    We have a waterproof mattress cover on ours. I would seriously think about investing in one just in case.
    Good thinking. Maybe we should have gotten a new mattress after the birth? Although, as others have said, I guess there's a small chance of my water actually breaking spontaneously.
  • Options
    My water broke at home laying in bed on my due date. Not a huge gush, but an audible pop with trickling fluid immediately followed by very intense contractions. I would never have been able to drive myself to the hospital, Hell i could barely walk myself down their hall to check in lol. I think i'm in the minority though, my labor came on very suddenly and super intense.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    With DS1, mine didn't break until right before I was ready to push.  I was in the tub and had no idea it broke, so I have no idea what it felt like.

In any case, I will probably have a towel in my car a week or before - just in case.  I would probably clean it up to the extent possible, clean myself up, and drive myself home (not to the hospital).  Even if contractions start right away after the water breaking (and that doesn't always happen), I think I could still do the 15 minute drive home to get DH, my stuff, call our doula, and then decide if we need to go to the hospital right away or wait and labor at home.  Births don't frequently happen like they do in the movies - you don't go from the water breaking to immediate intense labor to pushing in within a short time period. There is usually a slow build up. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    StacyMarie33venussapphire it was more of a trickle and not really anything big to clean up (besides my panties). To be honest I thought it was incontinence (plus I was in denial) and I didn't go to the hospital till the next morning (got yelled at by the doctor for that). So it doesn't always happen like in the movies.. a huge water fall... sometimes it's a consistent trickle like every 30 minutes or so.
    If this were to happen at work for me this time... that would be bad because it would mean I am 36 weeks or less (I plan on working from home starting at 37 weeks) so I would probably let the cleaning staff clean it and I would have a friend take me to the hospital in a cab!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options
    Mine didn't break the first time, my doctor actually stuck this hook looking thing up there and busted it...then within minutes my contraction went from uncomfortable to painful.  Once he broke my water, my DS was here within 4 hours.  

OH and mine gushed out!
  • Options
    My plan is to get someone to drive me to the hospital (probably my mom because she works in my building) and clean myself up. I work at a nursing home so our cleaning crew is used to cleaning up bodily fluids. I haven't thought about it much because my water was broken for me at the hospital at. 7 cm with DS. After that my contractions quickly became very intense so if that was the case I wouldn't be safe driving.

As far as a waterproof mattress pad, after baby was born I woke up soaked with leaking boobs. Just for consideration
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

sj+cm131 said:

I just got a new mattress and new sheets. Think I should be throwing a towel down when I get closer to my due date? That mattress was expensive yo!

I am very in love with my mattress and contemplated getting one of those waterproof covers but then I realized I don't want an adult pee sheet and really the amount of baby batter that has been spilled on that thing is probably way worse. 

I plan on getting a waterproof mattress cover just in case and also for any boob leakage that goes on. Plus I figure baby will be in our bed with us occasionally while I feed him so there could be messes. One I saw at the store wasn't plastic at all, which is what I was afraid of!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    sj+cm131 said:
    I am very in love with my mattress and contemplated getting one of those waterproof covers but then I realized I don't want an adult pee sheet and really the amount of baby batter that has been spilled on that thing is probably way worse. 
    Modern waterproof mattress covers not that bad.  They are fabric - not those plastic sheets that parents used to (or still do??) use for potty training kids.  We have one on our mattress to help extend it's life. It's machine washable - we wash it as frequently as we do our sheets and it prevents our mattress from getting a stinky from our sweat.  And like another poster mentioned - it will help when my boobs start to get all leaky.

• Options
    Mine broke in the hospital parking lot. Not a trickle at all...a HUGE gush. DD was born 6 hrs later.

{ Mrs. 5.24.08 } { Mommy 7.23.10 } BFP 3/24/14 EDD 11/25/14

• Options
    Work is the one place I don't want my water to break.  Even though  my dad works there so I know he will help me to the hospital and relax me (cause I'm sure I'll freak out a bit being FTM).  There are some old ladies in the office who would just go CRAZY and just doesn't seem like something I would really want to deal with.  

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    I'm afraid of this. My mom had her water break before any contractions with each of her pregnancies so I feel doomed. I'm actually taking vacation time a week before my due date so hopefully I will be elsewhere when the time comes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
     As far as a waterproof mattress pad, after baby was born I woke up soaked with leaking boobs. Just for consideration
    Plus, if you're ever going to have the baby in your bed (for nursing or sleeping or even just playing), you might want something there in case of spit up or diaper leakage.
  • Options
    I should mention that was with my first baby in 2008. I'm now 29 weeks pregnant with my second.
  • Options
    Mine broke at 4am before i would have left for work so i guess it could happen. I would clean it up though because im in no rush to get to the birth center.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"