October 2014 Moms
Options

Facebook Page

Hey ladies! I haven't been around barely at all since I'm out of town visiting friends, but I wanted to take the time to post a quick reminder about the group closing soon. We'll be closing to new members on 9/1 and you can message me or the other admins if you're interested in joining.

No posts are necessary here, so I'll just add the crickets now. ;)
BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1 - 12/12/11 - Missed M/C 1/9/12
BFP #2 - 4/5/2012 - Son Born 12/12/12
BFP #3 - 2/2/2014 - EDD 10/16/2014

Re: Facebook Page

• Options
    What is the name of the fb group?
    ~First time mama, strikingly handsome husband, comedic pooch, krumpin' baby girl on her way~

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can't search it, it is a secret group
  • Options
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Lol. Well played!

I thought you'd like that ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Is the fb group just October14? Or a general bump page?
    Sorry I don't know much about it.

O14
  • Options
    I replied to any messages I got. If someone else's adds you please let me know so I don't think you got looked over
  • Options
    What was the reason behind closing it again? I'm sure there IS a reason, I'm just wondering what it is, because I'm dumb when it comes to FB groups to begin with.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Bc people are starting to have babies and this way it's more private and personal...
  • Options
    @SPurp13‌, closing it now is what the group majority requested.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @SPurp13‌, closing it now is what the group majority requested.
    Yeah, I know that, because I remember the discussion, I just don't get the ins and outs of groups, so I was curious as to why (because I'm other groups, and I'm thinking...should I suggest THOSE be closed as well?). Like, the private vs. closed thing I don't get.

I know on another group I was in, they would ASSURE women that no one can see that you're in that group, but that was not the case, because my friends would get "recommended pages" based on what groups I was in. That might be the difference right there--those were "private" and closed means it comes up in no searches and it's like it doesn't exist? Dunno.
  • Options
    @SPurp13‌, here are the basic differences between the two types of Facebook groups -

Closed
    - can be searched my anyone
    - anyone can request to be added
    - friends can see you are in the group
    - nobody can see what you post unless they are members of the group

Secret
    - invite only, which is why everyone needs to accept a friend request from a member in order to be added. You do not have to maintain any friendships in order to remain a member.
    - nobody outside of the group knows it exists.
    - no friends will be referred to the page.
    - it isn't searcheable to the public.

Does that help at all?
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    It does! I never understand the group crap in FB. Thanks for the FB tutorial that I'm sure I could have googled myself. Sorry about that.

So right now it's showing up for me as "secret" and you're switching it to "closed."

• Options
    SPurp13 said:
    It does! I never understand the group crap in FB. Thanks for the FB tutorial that I'm sure I could have googled myself. Sorry about that.

So right now it's showing up for me as "secret" and you're switching it to "closed."

No, it always has been "secret" and will be closed to new members effective Sept 1. So, if you aren't in the group now, you won't be allowed in after they close it to new members. The group will remain unsearchable.
    ::two chest pumps and a peace sign for Jenn:: ~ MrsJudgeyPants 

This is legal advice. Circa 2011 image
  • Options
    Glad i opened this! I must have missed this along the way! Ahh!
  • Options
    SPurp13 said:

No, it always has been "secret" and will be closed to new members effective Sept 1. So, if you aren't in the group now, you won't be allowed in after they close it to new members. The group will remain unsearchable.
    Yep, what @Jennifer18131 said.  The reason for it is because it's probably going to start to get a little awkward when we have new people joining up even later than this.  We're all 30+ weeks pregnant and as we've seen in the last few days, new people joining have been kind of a shit show. :)  At least on TB you remain relatively anonymous, but with the FB group, people have their real names, share pics of their kids, stories about spouses, etc.  Too much stranger danger to leave it open forever.  Hopefully I've explained this properly, but if not, maybe @crystal8503 or @justabean3 can add to it!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Question, what if people here who you know end up changing their mind even after your many attempts to inform them, would they be considered on a case by case basis?

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    I think once it's closed it's closed. We might discuss someone who didn't see the message and was out of town but I think once we close it's over
  • Options
    No soup for you! :)

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    It's hard to accept one and not everyone else, so probably not unless the board was in agreement would someone be added.

You can always join now, check it out and decide if you want to stay or not.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    And honestly most people don't even correlate screen names from TB to the Facebook page. It is like a completely seperate group. You can argue with someone here and have no clue that is who you just talked to there.
  • Options
    @crystal8503‌ that's great to hear. I thought that the FB page was only for members that have been here the longest which makes absolute sense. Some of us have only joined a couple of months ago while some have been here forever and have already established great relationships. This board has been such a blessing. I practically live here now.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Sotho girl‌, there aren't any cliques among the FB group, just some closer than others, which is exactly the same here.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited August 2014
    I'm still so nervous about sharing personal info via FB with folks I don't know. Do you know (since I'm pretty FB illiterate) if I can specify privacy stuff just for groups? Or would that make my info private for everyone? Am I even making sense? Lol

ETA: For example, I'm looking at my privacy settings, and my hometown is listed as "friends only." Is it dumb of me to ask: so unless I'm friends with group members, they can't see my hometown if they go to my profile right? Ugh...this is embarrassing. I need a class on how FB works. :P
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:
    I'm still so nervous about sharing personal info via FB with folks I don't know. Do you know (since I'm pretty FB illiterate) if I can specify privacy stuff just for groups? Or would that make my info private for everyone? Am I even making sense? Lol ETA: For example, I'm looking at my privacy settings, and my hometown is listed as "friends only." Is it dumb of me to ask: so unless I'm friends with group members, they can't see my hometown if they go to my profile right? Ugh...this is embarrassing. I need a class on how FB works. :P

All you have to do is open your settings long enough to have an admin friend you and add you to the group. You do not have to maintain any friendships in order to stay in the group and nobody in the group will see your private page. I always maintained the strictest possible settings when I used my family account and has a rule of not friending anyone.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @Emerald27, I'm confused by your question.  Random FB group people can only see as much in your profile as you have set for your general FB permissions.  My FB page is fairly locked down for anyone who is not a friend.  So, if I'm not friends with someone from the FB group, they can only see as much on my page as can my neighbor James, as can some random person from Raleigh, NC.  If I am friends with someone from the FB group, they can see anything that any of my other friends see unless I've specifically changed the permissions for those individuals.

Which reminds me, you can set up lists for friends and adjust your privacy settings according to the friends list.  So you could, in theory, be FB friends with everyone who is in the O14 FB group, and have them all on a list where the settings are that they can only see your profile picture and pics on your page, but can't post (or something like that).  

But there are no special permissions for groups generally.  People in groups are treated the same as anyone else you would encounter on Facebook: as general public or as friends, depending on if you've friended the person or not.

I hope that makes sense.

• Options
    Here's a link which goes through some of the privacy settings from a technical how-to perspective.  https://www.facebook.com/help/325807937506242/

• Options
    Emerald27 said:
    I'm still so nervous about sharing personal info via FB with folks I don't know. Do you know (since I'm pretty FB illiterate) if I can specify privacy stuff just for groups? Or would that make my info private for everyone? Am I even making sense? Lol ETA: For example, I'm looking at my privacy settings, and my hometown is listed as "friends only." Is it dumb of me to ask: so unless I'm friends with group members, they can't see my hometown if they go to my profile right? Ugh...this is embarrassing. I need a class on how FB works. :P

All you have to do is open your settings long enough to have an admin friend you and add you to the group. You do not have to maintain any friendships in order to stay in the group and nobody in the group will see your private page. I always maintained the strictest possible settings when I used my family account and has a rule of not friending anyone.
    ^^And you don't even need to do that.  I've had people just share with me the email address they use to log into Facebook and invite them that way.  The invites then either go to your email address or you'll see the invite when you log into Facebook.  Not sure which one.  But I don't share or save the email addresses and once I add someone via email address, I promptly forget about it.  In fact, if I could figure out on TB how to delete those PMs, I would!

• Options
    @Emerald27, I'm confused by your question.  Random FB group people can only see as much in your profile as you have set for your general FB permissions.  My FB page is fairly locked down for anyone who is not a friend.  So, if I'm not friends with someone from the FB group, they can only see as much on my page as can my neighbor James, as can some random person from Raleigh, NC.  If I am friends with someone from the FB group, they can see anything that any of my other friends see unless I've specifically changed the permissions for those individuals.

Which reminds me, you can set up lists for friends and adjust your privacy settings according to the friends list.  So you could, in theory, be FB friends with everyone who is in the O14 FB group, and have them all on a list where the settings are that they can only see your profile picture and pics on your page, but can't post (or something like that).  

But there are no special permissions for groups generally.  People in groups are treated the same as anyone else you would encounter on Facebook: as general public or as friends, depending on if you've friended the person or not.

I hope that makes sense.
    So if I understood this, the only thing people would see of mine in this group are the things I would post on the page if I joined?  That is if my privacy setting is set to friends only.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks!! I will definitely consider checking it out. Glad I have a couple more days to think about it. ;)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

^^And you don't even need to do that.  I've had people just share with me the email address they use to log into Facebook and invite them that way.  The invites then either go to your email address or you'll see the invite when you log into Facebook.  Not sure which one.  But I don't share or save the email addresses and once I add someone via email address, I promptly forget about it.  In fact, if I could figure out on TB how to delete those PMs, I would!

I didn't know that! I've been adding people and unfriending them once they are part of the group.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    starla487 said:
    lisamahrt said:

I hope that makes sense.
    So if I understood this, the only thing people would see of mine in this group are the things I would post on the page if I joined?  That is if my privacy setting is set to friends only.

I'm not a Mod of the FB group, but I've run other Groups before on FB. If you are in a Group on FB, the members can only click on your profile and see what you have shared Publically. If you have everything set to "friends only" the most a non-friend can see is your profile pic and cover photo. Think of it like these gals, unless you add them as Friends, will see exactly what your creepy co-worker who isn't friends with you will see.
    Thanks!  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited August 2014
    Secret group-

-No one sees anything you post but those IN the group, it doesn't show you were even there to your friends not in the group

-Unless you " friend" someone in the secret group they can not see anything outside the group you post... You only exist to them there.

Anyone can send you a message but it goes to an "other" folder, unless you are friends with them

-We only see what your profile shows to the general public searching you.... as in hometown, job or any of that stuff

**personally for me it is easier to friend you as admin and then unfriend you after I add you. Anyone I have added can vouch for the fact that I don't hang around long after I add you... It is almost immediate, I add, I unfriend.
  • Options
    Bump for those who have missed this announcement.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I would like to join. I know im not super active but Im not a huge fan of thr mobile app.
  • Options
    A handful of people have messaged me with interest and I have responded with what's next in order to be added to the group.  Check your PMs if you've inquired but haven't been added yet.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Bumpity bump
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

@Rickaroo922, @reneenearl, @FloandMark, @jesomethingblue, @shearer112, @BloomingMomma, and @dana2die4 - you all have a PM! 

I went through all of my PMs and you are all ones who inquired at one time or another and I'm still waiting on information so I can add you.  I think most of the issues were there were multiple results for your name and an email or link to your page will clear this up.  Please PM me with the necessary information if you are still interested or disregard if you no longer wish to participate. 

Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

And honestly most people don't even correlate screen names from TB to the Facebook page. It is like a completely seperate group. You can argue with someone here and have no clue that is who you just talked to there.

It looks like everyone in the FB group shares their TB screen name there. Is that required?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"