High-Risk Pregnancy

20 week scan, markers, and Materni21

Heyas everyone,

It's been a rough ride already and I'm a ftm here 29 years old, and sick with worry.

I'm 21 weeks tomorrow, and at our 20 week anatomy scan we learned we are having a little girl!!
We were ecstatic! She's right on target for her size and weight, and she's head down.
She was so active, that it took nearly two hours to get everything they needed, and they couldn't get a good shot of the umbilical cord.
After the tech left, the doctor came in and looked at a few things herself, and then said she needed to discuss a few things with us. She took us to a tiny room, and told us to make ourselves comfortable. She then told us that our little baby girl had three issues. First she has a choroid plexus cyst, a two vessel umbilical cord, and her right kidney was larger than her left putting it just over the size for this months growth marker.

The doctor then talked to us about Trisomy 18, and 21, she was very cold, emotionless, and then felt the need to offer us tissues. She then had us meet with the genetic counselor via webcam.. she did a very good job, and talked us down a little and spoke about further testing options. We opted for the Materni21 test, the amnio seemed too risky to me considering I had two previous miscarriages, and it took us over a year to get pregnant this time. It's been 5 days since the blood was drawn, and I can't stop thinking about it.

I live in PA, does anyone know the average wait time? Do I call my Doctor's office to find out results? Has anyone else had any of the above abnormalities on their ultrasounds, and have things be okay? We're keeping our little one, no matter what, and we're going to do everything we can to ensure we get to meet her and welcome her into this world

I guess, I just felt the need to talk about it to someone and see if anyone else has gone through something like this?
She just looks so perfect already, and she's so very active!

Hoping, and praying <3

Re: 20 week scan, markers, and Materni21

• No experience here but sending you good thoughts and know that my fingers are crossed for you. 

I know that it can take a while for test results to come back in.  Keep us updated and feel free to vent if needed in the mean time <3

• hello and congrats on your little girl!  i am writing to let you know i had the same experience with my little man.  my first trimester screen was 1 in 10k for trisomy 13, 18 and 21 but my anatomy scan showed cpc and kidney dilation, both sides.  we got the speech from the doctor, were sent to talk with a genetic counselor and (like you) opted for MaterniT21.  i then went home and basically lost my mind with worry but was thankful that my results did not take the full 10 days.  i got mine in 5 business days and i live in NJ.  

i do not know much in regards to the umbilical cord concern but I will say the cpc and kidney dilation are soft markers that are not cause for immediate alarm. my doctors said they have to tell patients what they find, but they do not like telling them about cpc or the kidneys because in many cases they end up not being a marker at all and resolve themselves within a few weeks. my sons MaterniT21 results were negative and by my 23wk scan, both issues already resolved themselves. 

keep your head up and let me know if you have questions :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much! I'm going to call the Doctor's office today and see if they have any information.
  • just checking in to see if you were given any info.  i hope all is well with you and the baby :)
  • such good news!  sending prayers for the 10th!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"