Preemies

ex-35 weeker not walking at almost 1, should I be concerned?

In all honesty I'm not that concerned, but everyone besides me immediate family around me is ! #1 was born at 36w and was walking a little bit by 1st birthday but mostly crawling, #2 turning 1 in a week and no where near walking. Can stand alone, but holding onto furniture, he was "late" sitting, crawling etc etc. I feel like I have to keep reminding people it's okay if he's a bit behind, I'm fine with it, he will walk when he's ready :) How to stop the why questions all the time? Is there something wrong with him questions?

Re: ex-35 weeker not walking at almost 1, should I be concerned?

• There's a post just a bit down the page about not crawling where some people shared when their kids hit these milestones.

My FT singleton didn't walk until after a year. I always say that as they get older, there's a much wider range of "normal". I felt like I was always up against those questions w my oldest bc he was a late talker. I know FT kids that didn't walk until 16-18mo. They were focused on perfecting other skills and started to walk when they were ready.

• KTZ17KTZ17 member
    Perfectly fine that he's not walking yet. DD was a 31 weeker and walked at 13.5 months. But even full term babies don't all walk at exactly one year. I know the constant questions can get annoying. Even random strangers would ask how old is she and is she walking yet. He'll walk when he's ready!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • ana_kana_k member
    Thanks Ladies :)
  • DD is only 4 months at  the moment but DS was full term and he walked at 14 months. He was a little later on most things but still within the normal range.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• DS1 was born at 32w3d. He did everything on the later side for his adjusted age. He didn't walk until 16 months actual, 14 adjusted. He just does things on his own schedule. No cause for concern for you!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My twins were born at 32w3d and the walked at 15 1/2 mo. I asked the dr at their 15 mo appt when we'd be concerned a bout them not walking. He said between now and 18 mo. It was about a week or so later they took off.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • I wouldn't be worried, I was told up to 15 months was completely normal. DD started walking at 13 months actual.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• The average age for a baby to start walking is 13-14 months and most pedis do not get concerned until near the 18 month mark, and thats for a full term baby! My 30 weeker walked a day shy of 14 months actual and I was expecting it to be much later cause she didn't crawl until 10 months. I wouldn't stress!
  • vulpinivulpini member
    edited August 2014
    Don't worry until your pediatrician expresses concern.  All the milestones are rough averages and kids reach each of them at different times based on their body build, personality, and interests.  Slimmer kids tend to walk earlier than plump ones. Some kids are just more cautious and afraid to try until they feel more certain of their balance while others are bigger risk takers and start trying sooner.  And some are just not that interested and are practicing other skills instead.

My son was a 34 weeker and just turned one and isn't walking yet or standing unsupported for more than a few seconds.  His cousin, who was a full term baby, was the same way at 12 months and walked at just over 13 months.  Now at 14 months she's running around.  The range for when most full term babies start walking is something like 10-15 months and pediatricians give it a couple more months after that before it's a concern, so your son is perfectly fine. 

People just have it in their heads that babies start to walk and talk at 1 and they forget that babies are people, not little robots on a timer.  Plus it's just a general topic of conversation about one year olds, like asking about gender was when you were pregnant.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't have much to add other than we were visiting my family this weekend, and my cousin's DS, who is 10 months (11 weeks older than DS adjusted) was taking steps unassisted. So yeah, I got a ton of questions after that because my DS can't crawl, stand, or get into a sitting position on his own. But our Dr isn't concerned, so I'm trying to not be either. They have their own time lines!
  • My niece, full term...overdue a few days, just started walking at 15 months. 

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"