March 2015 Moms
Options

Book suggestions?

Managed to pinch a nerve in my back and can't do too much for the next couple days. I just finished 'Mr Mercedes' by Stephen King, and am almost done with 'The Stand.' I prefer mystery/horror, but appreciate any type of good literature!
So has anyone read anything good lately??

Re: Book suggestions?

• Options
    Khaled Housseini's new book And the Mountains Echoed is fantastic. Not mystery or horror though...
  • Options
    My mom really likes mysteries, and the Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency series is a major favorite of hers.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As for horror/amazing story, try Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.
  • Options
    leahxjane said:
    Managed to pinch a nerve in my back and can't do too much for the next couple days. I just finished 'Mr Mercedes' by Stephen King, and am almost done with 'The Stand.' I prefer mystery/horror, but appreciate any type of good literature! So has anyone read anything good lately??
    I love Stephen King, too. Did you read Doctor Sleep?

How did you like Mr Mercedes?

BFP #1 7/13/14 EDD 3/26/15

• Options
    I love Karin Slaughter especially the will Trent books ... I highly recommend
    autism photo: AUTISM autismglitter.gifBabyFruit Tickerphoto d61f26e5-4fb2-4a0b-b301-b0af2b53d4d3.jpg
  • Options
    Have you read Misery yet?  That's my favorite Stephen King book :) I'm about to start The Funhouse by Dean Koontz.
  • Options
    leahxjaneleahxjane member
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    LtColumbo said:
    leahxjane said:
    Managed to pinch a nerve in my back and can't do too much for the next couple days. I just finished 'Mr Mercedes' by Stephen King, and am almost done with 'The Stand.' I prefer mystery/horror, but appreciate any type of good literature! So has anyone read anything good lately??
    I love Stephen King, too. Did you read Doctor Sleep?

How did you like Mr Mercedes?
    I did read Doctor Sleep!  I worked in a bookstore at the time it came out, so as soon as the shipment arrived I grabbed one of the books and started reading it.  I think I finished in two or three days.  I was really nervous about it coming out so long after The Shining was written, but was honestly impressed with it.  Definitely one of my favorites by him.

Mr. Mercedes was good as well!  It's not horror or at all; definitely a crime/mystery novel.  It's definitely worth the read, and goes by very quickly.  And I'm pretty sure it's going to be a trilogy, so that's exciting!
  • Options
    kaydedid said:
    As for horror/amazing story, try Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.
    I've actually heard of this one, and have heard good things about it!  I'll be sure to look into it.  Thank you for the suggestion!!
  • Options
    Have you read Misery yet?  That's my favorite Stephen King book :) I'm about to start The Funhouse by Dean Koontz.
    I did read Misery!  It was actually one of the first books I read by Stephen King.  But it's been so long since I read it that I might just read it again.
  • Options
    It's not horror but crime/mystery and pretty dark: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. It's being made into a movie too.

• Options
    The Passage by Justin Cronin. It's the first in his trilogy. The third book should be out later this year. It's apocalyptic/vampire, not YA at all. It was amazing. AH-MAZING.

I am guilty of enjoying vampire novels/series.  I'll definitely look into this!!  Thank you for the suggestion!!
  • Options
    It's not horror but crime/mystery and pretty dark: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. It's being made into a movie too.
    I was actually just reading about this movie the other day!  And I think I actually had the book written down on my "To Read" list from a while ago.  My mom's reading this one right now, and says it's really great, so this may be my next reading adventure.  Thank you for reminding me about this book!!
  • Options
    It is old (1990), but still a favorite book of mine "Phantom" by Susan Kay

Bring kleenex.
    imageimage

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Gone Girl is more chick lit, IMO. But it was entertaining enough. 
  • Options
    Not sure if you've read Dean Koontz, but I like the Odd Thomas series. I've read the first two books so far and really enjoyed them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MC: 2/19/14

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I could not put down Gone Girl, I really disliked the end though. I can't wait to see the movie. NPH as Desi should be good.

I'm glad somebody posted this, because I really needed a new book to read too. I just downloaded Outlander.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I really like murder mysteries too. I recommend The Girl with the...trilogies and Dan Brown books. I heard Gilligan Flynn books were very good. 

image image
    imageimage
  • Options
    The last couple I read in that category were The Relic and The Cabinet of Curiosities, both by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.  I liked them both.  I found out after reading the second that there was a book in between called Reliquary, reading that one next.

For suzyq0525

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

• Options
    @cafecreme‌ I've read Stieg Larson's book. Loved them and wish they would have made more than just one movie!! I'm also a huge fan of Dan Brown and have read almost all of his work. Everyone keeps talking about Gillian Flynn so that may have to be the next book I read just so I can contribute to all the hype!
  • Options
    @jordanbohr‌ My mom read Outlander and said it was fantastic. I've heard a lot of good things about it. And it's a tv show now! I think on starz or shotime? Can't remember which.
  • Options
    Gone Girl is more chick lit, IMO. But it was entertaining enough. 
     Agreed. I unexpectedly loved this book...couldn't put it down.

Yeah, you are right that it is more chck lit. This is probably why I even heard of it. It was definitely really good and hard to put down. Cannot wait for the movie.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"