October 2014 Moms
Options

Will anyone be pumping exclusively?

cshade07cshade07 member
edited April 2014 in October 2014 Moms
Just curious how many mommas out there plan to pump exclusively instead of breast feeding. :-) it's a new option I've been hearing more & more about.

Will anyone be pumping exclusively? 84 votes

Yes
8% 7 votes
No
65% 55 votes
Undecided
26% 22 votes

Re: Will anyone be pumping exclusively?

• Options
    I did with with my first, only because I felt I had to. This time I will try harder to BF and get a good latch. However, EP is not out of the question if I need it. 
  • Options
    I would if I have to but much rather bf, I didn't enjoy pumping at all with my 1st.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, my goal is for the first 6 weeks. After that Ill see how things are going. I have no doubt EP with a toddler running around will be even more difficult.
  • Options
    I will if I have too but it is not easy. It is like doing double time.
  • Options
    I did with DS#1 because he simply wouldn't latch, made it to almost 6 months.  With DS#2, he decided at 6 months that he was done nursing and we switched to formula.  I tried pumping, but with DS#1 running around and having to take care of a baby, it just wasn't worth the stress.  With this one we will either BF (fingers crossed!) again, or formula feed.  If BF works, I'll pump a couple times a day to build up some freezer reserves or for if I go out, but it takes too much time and effort when I've got busy kids on the go.  I give full kudos to moms who make it work though!  That is a tough road. 
    Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• Options
    I EPd for the first 4 or 6 months with DS because of latch issues. I had read somewhere that you should pump 5 minutes past empty, so that's what I was doing, and I feel like it mademy milk watery- if that's even possible.  Then I later read that you should only pump as long as your child nurses (like 15 minute increments).  

I do work full time, and with my commute and my daily schedule, it's likely that I will have to go 12+ hours a day without nursing, so I will pump during that time and nurse when baby is available.  This is, of course, only if nursing works well for me and LO.

EP is definitely an option, and people do it for a variety of reasons.  All the benefits of BF and FF rolled into one!  If you plan to EP, I would definitely look into a heavy-duty electric breast pump that is made for daily use- they tend to be more expensive and your insurance may not cover the particular one you have your eyes on.  Do some research and learn how long you can store breast milk.  If you plan to pump up a large stash, it might benefit you to invest in a deep freezer, as well.  Both the freezer and Medela PISA were life savers when I EPd.
  • Options
    I plan on BFing but also pumping so that H can help with feedings at night and when I need a break.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I ended up EP with DD and while it isn't an easy road, it was the best solution for us. This time around I would love to BF and pump also.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP#1: 11/20/11, EDD 7/25/12, Emily Iris arrived 7/29/12 at 7 lb., 3.5 oz.

BFP#2: 8/25/13, EDD 5/4/14, MMC confirmed on 9/23/13, D&C on 9/26/13

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

• Options
    A deep freezer was for sure a good purchase on our end.
  • Options
    I EP for a year with my daughter. Well I guess I should say I only pumped because we had to supplement starting at 6 months because I had a hard time keeping up when I went back to work and my stash ran out. I will do it again if I have to but it is not my preference. Hopefully breastfeeding works better for us this time around.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options

...it is not easy. It is like doing double time.

This! Exclusive pumping technically is an option, and it's a great one for moms who are unable to breastfeed, but it is HARD WORK. It's hard to pump AND feed baby instead of just feeding baby. It's hard to get up and pump during the night. It's harder to maintain an adequate supply.

EPing does give baby many of the benefits of breastfeeding, and it truly is a great way for mothers who cannot breastfeed to share such a special part of themselves with their baby. However, I would urge you not to just consider this "another option," but rather a backup plan to use if for some reason you are unable to breastfeed.

Serious kudos to those mamas who EP.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I EPed with my son for 6 months, and it was very tough on me mentally.  I really felt toward the end that I had missed so much bonding time with my son that was spent pumping and doing all the prep associated with pumping.  I started suffering from PPA, and my husband literally had to force me to stop.  At the time I was so hard on myself about switching to formula, thought it was such a big deal, but looking back it so wasn't, I really regret not switching earlier.  This time around I will only give it 3 months...if by the end of 3 months, breastfeeding isn't working out, I will stop pumping and will just do formula.  It really isn't something I would suggest to anyone who isn't struggling with breastfeeding issues, but if anyone wants to go that route, I have tons of tips and tricks that I am happy to pass along.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    BabyName TickerBabyName Ticker
  • Options
    My baby getting breast milk is very important to me because of all the benefits that formula just can't provide. I'm going to try everything possible to breastfeed but if for whatever reason I absolutely can't then I will EP.

<('.'<) (>'.')> (^'.')> <('.'^) <('.'<) (>'.')> (^'.')> <('.'^) <('.'<) (>'.')> (^'.')> <('.'^)

• Options
    mer313131 said:
    I ended up EP with DD and while it isn't an easy road, it was the best solution for us. This time around I would love to BF and pump also.
    Same here.  I was an EP'er because my son would not latch.  We tried for weeks and weeks.  It is not an easy road just like the other ladies are saying.  I EP'd for 16 months and it was insane.  It was amazing that I could do it for my son but it was a lot of commitment and a lot of work.

Last menstral cycle 9/09 Initial diagnosis PCOS (11/09) Provera (x2), P4 injection. Final Diagnosis POF (2/10) 
    Donor ER 8/27/10 -- ET 9/1/10 Beta 9/10/10=BFP! May 6th 2011 - Our sweet little bear was born!
    FET #2 July 3, 2014 - BFP!
    M/C @ 9 weeks

FET #3 November 8, 2013 - BFN
    FET #4 February 12, 2014
    POAS (I cheated) BFP!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I EPed with my son for 6 months, and it was very tough on me mentally.  I really felt toward the end that I had missed so much bonding time with my son that was spent pumping and doing all the prep associated with pumping.  I started suffering from PPA, and my husband literally had to force me to stop.  At the time I was so hard on myself about switching to formula, thought it was such a big deal, but looking back it so wasn't, I really regret not switching earlier.  This time around I will only give it 3 months...if by the end of 3 months, breastfeeding isn't working out, I will stop pumping and will just do formula.  It really isn't something I would suggest to anyone who isn't struggling with breastfeeding issues, but if anyone wants to go that route, I have tons of tips and tricks that I am happy to pass along.
    This is almost exactly how it worked for me too (no PPA).  I started to resent the time spent pumping even though it was to feed DS.  I also felt like I missed out on the bonding as often while I was pumping, someone else was feeding DS a bottle.  I was so stressed out that my supply started slipping and we had to supplement anyway.  I really wish that I had just accepted formula earlier too.  Luckily with DS#2 BF worked.  I'll probably do the same as you if BF doesn't work this time, give it a couple months of pumping, but then just accept the formula route.  As long as LO is happy, I can be too.
    Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• Options
    I ep'd for my 1st for 6 months due to poor latch and my nipples looking and feeling like I stuck them in the blender. It was not an easy task by any means. I am going to try to bf and if that doesn't work out again go to formula. It will be impossible being a sahm to 2 under 1.5 to find time to EP.

• Options

I did with with my first, only because I felt I had to. This time I will try harder to BF and get a good latch. However, EP is not out of the question if I need it. 

This.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I didn't produce much, so I pumped and he got everything via bottle.
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have odd nipples also and I get over production. They turn into like cones instead of nipples.
  • Options
    No idea. I'm totally antsy about how this feeding business is going to play out.
  • Options
    I plan to mostly BF, but pump some to build up a stash and allow DH to get in on the feeding/bonding action. If for some reason I am unable to BF, but still produce milk,and exhausted all assistance resources, I'll EP. If I end up working after LO is born, I'll have to weigh the pro and cons of EP vs FF. It certainly is a lot to think about and hopefully it's a non-issue when the time comes. I'm a FTM, so keeping FX!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"