November 2013 Moms
Options

Help me not kill my mother

I love my mother, because she is my mother. That said... I just want to strangle her.

She watches the baby for me once a week at my home, during the day while I sleep. I have told her countless times to wake me to feed her. Today, again, she thawed a bottlle and gave it to M while I slept.

"I only gave her a little"
... Yeah but now the rest if the bottle is useless. 5oz, in the garbage.

"You we're asleep"
... Who cares?! I wake to feed her every night I'm home what's the difference

It took everything in me not to come off like the worlds biggest bitch about it. Spinning off yesterday's 9mos breastfeeding thread, my supply is dropping and my stash sucks and we're going to have to supplement soon. I know that the one bag isn't going to give us much more time, it's just so frustrating that she can't follow instructions as simple as "wake me to feed"
In addition to this she makes my house a mess - my kitchen always has food/crumbs over it, even if I just cleaned if the day before; she can't bring herself to throw the diaper in the diaper pail - she literally leaves the dirty diapers, unrolled, on the changing table. And she always leaves the wipes container open and dries them out.

Truthfully, I don't NEED her to watch M for me. My step mom doesn't work and helps us out one day a week also, without all these annoying things, and could easily watch her for us the 2nd day a week. BUT mom mom would be absolutely heartbroken if she didn't get to watch her

I don't know how to constructively criticize my mother without making her feel like an idiot (like she is) or sounding threatening "stop doing these annoying things, or else I'm taking your baby sitting day away from you!!"

Help, what do I do? How do I fix this

Re: Help me not kill my mother

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Hm. Maybe I'm not getting what the big deal is, but I'd not give a rat's ass if there were crumbs on my counter while I got to sleep.

Oh, and free childcare.

Crumbs, plates, take out packaging, milk split on the counter. I am grateful she watches the baby but it's as much if not more for her benefit than mine. If it happened every now and then it would be one thing, but I literally spend the 1st 30mins after she leaves cleaning up her trail. I'm not a "clean freak" but it's enough having to clean up after my child and husband I don't want to clean up after her.

Perhaps it qualifies as a first world problem
  • Options
    If it makes you feel better, my mom just sent me some photos of her eating soup to show the baby.

Old white women are super weird.  
    LOL.

#LOLFITMAMA
  • Options

@cagoldi‌ how do you make it seem so clear, easy, and unoffensive? :) she's back next Tuesday we'll see how that goes.

I don't know; I have had a lot of these talks with various family members over the years but it's easy because we aren't screamers. It's awkward, but really NBD.
  • Options
    @kamakaziartist‌ my step mom (parents are divorced) doesn't work anymore and also watches the baby for us once a week. She could watch her more, but My mom wants to see the baby (and doesn't want the baby to be closer to my step mom, major jealousy issue).

It's totally a first world problem that I have other options for free childcare.

If my schedule doesn't require her to come watch her one week she gets sad, she misses the baby.

I love that she loves her so much, love that she wants to see her. I guess the problem is that she and I just have our issues. Our relationship hasn't changed in the 10 years since high school - we're not that close, and it seems everything she does annoys me. I'm much closer to my dad and step mom (which makes my mother insane)
  • Options
    If she continuously won't wake you to feed I would set a timer.
  • Options
    CFox815 said:

Also, keep in mind, it probably has been a whole since she has chased after a baby. The diapers, the crumbs, I don't think it's being messy, more trying to keep baby out of trouble. Believe me, I chase after the boy all day and leave a mess everywhere I go. It's tough keeping a baby alive and a house clean!

Amen!
  • Options

Maybe it's time to consider hiring some paid childcare.

Eta: Why can't she just come visit you and the baby? Or take her for a walk or something? B is still breastfeeding but is fine for a couple of hours if we go out somewhere (he is a distracted nurser). I'll sometimes give him a pouch of Plum Organics if I feel he's getting hungry and is too distracted to nurse, as well as a sippy of water.

DH and I have discussed taking her to daycare, and are planning on doing it after she turns 1 at least 1 day a week so she can have little babe friends.

I have a stroller here and I tell my mom she can walk her, she doesn't. I tell her to give her baby food, even leave it out for her, and it's hit or miss if she'll feed it to her.

I see her sometimes when she's not baby sitting for me, usually when we're visiting my grandma, I just can only tolerate her in small doses. I love her but I am very easily frustrated and annoyed in her company. My biggest parenting fear is M and I having a relationship like that of me and my mother. She's not a bad person, not a bad mom (she was a single parent, perhaps could have done better but I know she did her best and loves us unconditionally)
  • Options
    @kamakaziartist‌ I don't hate her, she loves the baby and wants to be in her life. As much as I am annoyed by her, she hasn't done anything for me to keep her away from the the baby. I just don't personally enjoy spending long periods of time with her.
  • Options

I'm not going to be overly bitter or tell you how you should act, but I hope you are at least happy that you have family members who are willing to watch your children. I hope you tell your mom you appreciate her, even if she annoys you.

Not trying to be all Woe is me, but my nearest family is 1800 miles away.

I hope you realize how awesome you have it... Crumby counters or not. :)

We are so lucky! Because of our complicated divorced and remarried family, M has 5 grandmas and 3 grandpas. She's the first grandchild and they all love her to pieces
  • Options
    cagoldicagoldi member
    edited August 2014
    @leopardgurl831‌ She works nights, that's why she is sleeping during the day while her mom watches M.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"