3rd Trimester
Options

Time off work before baby?

Any of you taking time off before baby arrives? I think I'm going to taking 2 weeks. I know how uncomfortable I will be and thinking some time to just rest will be nice. Also thinking of taking that time to do final prep for baby and hang out with my son just the two of us.
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 IAmPregnant Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 BabyFetus Ticker}

Re: Time off work before baby?

• Options
    I don't plan on taking any vacation time if that's what you mean, but I might be going on leave before the baby is actually here. Not really due to medical reasons, but I stand all day at work and my job is physically demanding for someone who is pregnant, so I do find it hard to be on my feet all day already, and I'm only 28 weeks.
    ~~~My baby girl is due November 4th, 2014~~~
  • Options
    I don't have paid maternity leave, it's complicated and don't plan on going back.
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 IAmPregnant Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 BabyFetus Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ravenbaby said:
    I don't have paid maternity leave, it's complicated and don't plan on going back.
    Word. Me too. I don't plan on going back to my current job either. I don't get paid maternity leave so I have to go on EI.
    ~~~My baby girl is due November 4th, 2014~~~
  • Options
    A few days. I'm due Saturday and my last day is Wednesday. I'd planned to work til Friday, but my swelling is really bad and I'm very uncomfortable by the end of the week, so I'm ending things two days early. Hopefully I have her before then, but I would be induced on the 28 or 29th, so I'll only be off about a week max before she's here. I don't want more time off without her than that, and I'm taking 12 weeks total.

Pregnancy Ticker

Zoe Nicole: 8/21/14

Due again: 1/17/18

• Options
    My son was born at the end of January and I was put on bed rest at the beginning of January. It was nice to have that 3 weeks to relax and prepare for baby.
  • Options

I plan on working right up until the little guys decides he is ready. My best friend/co-worker and I have already created a plan for if my water breaks at work. LOL

• Options
    My DD was due on a Friday and my last day was the Friday before.  DD actually came on her due date so I had one week to sort of do nothing.  It was fantastic.  I went for walks and napped and folded small clothes.  I do not regret it.  I also knew I wasn't planning to go back.  

• Options
    Ravenbaby said:
    Any of you taking time off before baby arrives? I think I'm going to taking 2 weeks. I know how uncomfortable I will be and thinking some time to just rest will be nice. Also thinking of taking that time to do final prep for baby and hang out with my son just the two of us.
    Since I don't get paid time off other than whatever vacation/sick time I have and the 6 weeks of short term disability, I don't plan on taking time off before having the baby, unless medically necessary.  I want to save my time off for when I can spend it with the baby.  I have a desk job, with some site visits, but my colleagues can cover my site visits if need be. 

With my first, I think I might have started to go stir crazy not working for two weeks (plus - many babies don't come until 41 or 42 weeks).   But now that I have a toddler and never have time to myself, two weeks off sounds awesomel, but I still won't take it.

Last time, I felt good until the end and ended up working until like 3 hours before my labor started.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I worked up until the day of induction with DD, and will work up until the day of my c-section this time as well. No paid maternity here.

BabyFetus Ticker

Married to my love on 06-02-2007

Mikah Lucille born 03-02-2011

Baby Girl Zooey due October 2014

• Options

I didn't-- I gave birth on a Monday and worked up through the previous Friday. 

The ML at my company kicks in on either your due date, or the day you give birth, whichever comes first.  My DD was born 9 days before her due date, but like others have said, you can go to 42 weeks.  In that scenario, taking 2 weeks prior seems like a long time to sit around waiting for baby to come.

I will say that if I was having a scheduled (medically necessary) section, I might consider taking a few days off before to relax/ prep/ whatever.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    I wasn't totally planning on it, due on Saturday, but came down with a sinus infection over the weekend so threw in the towel yesterday (which actually was my paperwork submission date for start of leave anyway). I am working a couple days a week from home throughout my leave and now feeling good about it, as actually feel like I have a little time to relax before little one arrives.
  • Options
    I plan on working up until i go into labor. I get about 9 weeks out of my 12 paid which is great but i not the reason im working until the day. I really want to stay home with the baby and do not want to go back to work at all. But unfortunately i dont really have a choice. I feel like everyday i sit at home waiting for her to come is a day i dont get to spend with her when she comes out.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Well - if he arrives on time then yes. If he's early, then no. :) My last day at work is August 29th which is the Friday of Labor Day weekend. My due date is Sept. 2 which is the day after Labor Day - so I figured why bother going back? I'm taking 12 weeks and my doctor doesn't want me to go over 41 weeks, so the most I will lose in maternity leave is a week. If he comes at 41 weeks though, then I'll have almost a couple of weeks before D-Day - but I doubt I'll be resting. Knowing me I will probably be alphabetizing the pantry, lol. :D

• Options
    I am taking the 2 weeks before off using vacation time and then taking 12 weeks of unpaid leave starting on my due date. I put in the request for the 2 weeks previous because I dont know how I will feel at that point but if I feel fine to go to work I might still go in.

Anniversary 

• Options
    I will be taking the week I'm due off as short term disability.  The two previous weeks I have been given the option to work from home which I graciously accepted.  So technically I will be home the last three weeks.

• Options
    I am a teacher but I am not due until Sept 16th. I will not be returning this year since I will have the year off.  My husband will be taking his vacation starting next week. ( We live in a remote area so we actually have to fly out and travel to an area that has a hospital. the health center here do not deal with labour and delivery) 
    so we will have a three week mini vacation while waiting... and if the baby comes after the due date that is fine. We would not be coming back home until the baby is here. Then my Husband will go back to work. He will take Parental leave later on. 
    I honestly would prefer not to take time off but in our case we are stuck and have to since we live in a remote place. 
    But we plan to make the best of that time off! 
    My sister took 2 weeks off before her kid came, she was so bored and wished that she didnt. It varies for everyone... whatever you decide to do, its nice to know you have that option! 

• Options
    I've been out since 29 weeks due to PTL stuff and won't be going back before DS is born. It's been soooooooo boring but at the same time, my body is very thankful for being able to sleep until 9 and then take a nap when I want. Once I hit 34 weeks I started making weekly trips to the nail salon for a mani pedi. It's like heaven for about an hour. I also went to have lunch with DH a few times which was a nice break.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm looking forward to getting the one on one time my my son and taking him to the park and going for walks... My job can be pretty stressful plus I freelance and have several big projects to finish before baby. I'm so done being stressed and working all the time. Looking forward to some much needed r&r. With my luck she will come 2 weeks early and blow my mini vaca lol. My son came on his due date! Good boy he is
  • Options
    I plan on leaving September 30th my due date is October 9th, I also do not have paid leave but I have to remain employed to keep my insurance... so I will do so... with my previous pregnancy I worked up until 3 days before I delivered... however she did come 3 weeks early! You never know what could happen... if you can afford it then go for it time before your little baby gets here is time well spent!
  • Options
    Nope, I want as much time with the baby as possible.

With DS, I worked up until the day before he was born (6 days late).
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm due Saturday, Oct 4th, so I'm going to see if my OB will write me out starting the 29th. That Monday before my EDD. This will make it easier for my temp to come in and get trained, as well as all of my FMLA paperwork and such. Unless she decides to come early, in which case this will all go out the window.

*January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails*

imageimageimage

• Options
    I'm due end of October and have been off since July. Only because I am a teacher and had summer off, and now I don't see the point to go back to work for a couple weeks. I'm off until Jan 2016, I have been bored & lonely somedays but other days I know there is no way I could deal with a bunch of 3 year old kids right now so I just enjoy my boredom as I know soon enough I will wonder what it felt like to be bored :)

• Options
    I am working at home starting tomorrow until I have baby.  My manager was okay with me WAH for up to 2 weeks before due date as long as received a note from my OB.  
    Big Brother Nolan 07.30.12
  • Options

My company doesn't have ML but my state has TDI/TCA.  I'm thinking about going out on TDI in January (baby is due mid-February).  As long as my doctor signs off on it, I get paid a portion of my weekly salary.  It gets deducted from my paycheck anyway, it's my money that I've banked, I might as well use it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'll be having a RCS in late October and I plan to work my final shift the night before I have this baby. I'm taking off 4 weeks for maternity leave and can barely afford that. Not only will I be working up until baby comes, but I'll be working 2 extra days a week (6 days a week versus 4) in the two weeks prior to having her just to make up for the lost income of one of those weeks off. Sucks. :(
  • Options
    I am 36 weeks today and Saturday is my last day if work..I'm on my feet a lot and I just can't do it anymore.
  • Options
    I'm going to take a few weeks off before, I know the UK maternity is different (I still don't fully understand it myself) but my employers are offering me to go off when I feel ready and were shocked when I said I wanted to return 3/4 months after (as you can take up to 9 months off here and still get a percentage of your wages). I still have 8 weeks to go and am struggling already with working as a psyc nurse on my feet all day rushing around and not getting proper breaks so when my body can't handle it anymore I'm going to take time off and get a sick note if needed. I know not everyone has a choice and it is preferable to have more time off when the baby arrives but it's still important to look after yourself and not to exhaust yourself before baby is even here!
  • Options
    I'm in NJ and my job requires a lot of lifting patients, etc. So doc is putting me out at 36 weeks (I have been to L&D a couple times with contractions). It works out bc in NJ you 4 weeks before and 6/8 after for NJ FMLA and then an additional 6 weeks of bonding time you can take within the first year after the baby is born. I am just taking it all together.

• Options
    I took two weeks off but I was switching jobs and losing all my sick days, otherwise I wouldn't have. I started to get bored just waiting for baby to show up but a few days to make sure things were ready was nice.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Nope.  No time off before, and since it's a family business, I will be working at home as soon as I get home from the hospital.  I did it with DS1 as well.  My only stipulation this time is that I will not take on any major projects this time like I did when I was home with him.  I will only keep things I'm currently doing and maintain those until I return.
  • Options
    TaraGoldenCOTaraGoldenCO member
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    I had planned on working until my due date, but that went out the window yesterday. I'm out today to do some monitoring and doctor has me written out of work beginning Thursday. My due date isn't until Sept 15 but with my BP scares, she feels better if I wasn't at school all day. Stinks, because I hadn't planned on taking any FMLA. 
    Finally! My September Siggy Challenge: TV Show I'll Be Binge Watching
    REVENGE!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic"

• Options
    Prob no time off. I do have some annual leave I will have to use or lose in December so I may take a couple of days if that is the case- I am due the 18  so earliest would be 3 days. All depends on how things go though. I may end up using that for something else, also if my AL turns to SL I may just tough it out. I'm afraid to take off until I actually go- what if I am late in delivery -then my 8 wks would be even smaller once she is here. 
  • Options
    I have been off since I was 34 weeks due to swelling in my feet and legs and contractions. I just got back from hospital where they had to stop my contractions. I was ready though when they put me off because I was miserable. I am a teacher and I have short term disability. So I get paid while I am off before baby gets here and 6-8 weeks after baby arrives. I am 36.3 weeks today and I have to say that I have really enjoyed the alone time and being home just preparing for baby. I have a 12 yr old so he is gone all day to school. The time at home by myself has been really nice. This is going to be a big adjustment for all of us as it had been 12 yrs. since we have had a baby and I used to him pretty much being independent. We are all in for a big change.
  • Options
    I'm working as close to my due date as I'm allowed (here you must finish 2 weeks before the end of the week you're due in order to qualify for statutory maternity pay). For me this is 9 days beforehand- I want to keep as much as my paid leave fur after baby comes. I may take a couple of days annual leave to bring that forward a bit.
  • Options
    I'll be "working from home" starting Oct 24... I can't wait!!
    I'm 30 weeks and already very uncomfortable!
    MY RCS is scheduled for Nov 7 (unless I go into labor earlier)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options
    Lord I am taking a week off before I am due and now I don't even know how Ill make it to that. Im really uncomfortable. Im not coming back till January regardless. Just gotta make it through the next 2 1/2 weeks. Doesn't sound like a lot but feels like forever!
  • Options
    I'm a teacher and will have 11 weeks of school left from my due date.  I get 12 with FMLA, so will likely take the week before my due date off (actually its only a 4 day week).
  • Options
    Having twins via c section, going to stop working at 34 wks
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"