Success after IF

IVF Success at 39?

I've asked this question before so if I'm repeating myself I apologize in advance. Looking for IVF success stories at 39 years old. I turn 39 next month and am starting IVF next month. Aside from my age no issues with me, we're dealing with MFI so no point in wasting time and money on anymore IUIs. I'm usually on the TTTC board but hoping for some success stories to give me some hope.

TTC #1

Me: AMA, DH: MFI

Official DX - MFI due to Hemochromatosis

IVF #1 Nov. 2014 - ER 11/10 (10R 6M 6F) - ET 11/13 

3DT of 3 embies - no frosties - CP = BFFN!!!!

****All Welcome****

imageimage

Re: IVF Success at 39?

• Hi, I was 38 when I got pg with IVF #1, gave birth when I was 39.  I forgot what % I got from my RE then; I think my chances were in the 30% range?

There is some new evidence showing that success rate is higher if you wait to do the ET after ER.  So, fresh IVF cycle and do ER, then rest for a month before doing ET.  My RE said the success rate goes up to almost 50%.  (that was the % she quoted me when we attempted FET recently.)

GL.
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @pb_bride‌ thanks, I've read that waiting to do the ET, I'm going to run it by my RE at my next appointment.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • P.S. I don't know if you are OOP for IVF or if it's covered by insurance.  I think most insurance do not cover the wait; ie, if you are doing a fresh cycle, you have to do the ET right away.  But there may be a way to get around it?
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • We are totally OOP. My RE mentioned something about genetic testing, but said she didn't think it was necessary for me, it's around $5,000. I'm new to all this and it's so overwhelming, the thought of it not working would be devastating as I don't think we can afford more than one cycle.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• I was "young" when I did IVF, a mere 36.  However, I did do IUI at 38 and got pregnant and then got pregnant without any medical intervention at 40.  So, if the issues aren't yours, I'd say you stand a pretty good chance of it working.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Sorry you are OOP that just adds to the stress. We are too - we did IVF and had my son when I was 37. I'm 38 going to be 39 next month and we did IVF back in May and I'm due in Feb. MH has severe MFI and we did ICSI with both cycles. I think ICSI made the difference for us and we also transferred 3 embryos at a time. I have an aggressive RE but it has worked for us. Good luck to you.

Me 38 MH 41 - TTC since June 2010 - dx with Severe MFI. Straight to IVF with ICSI. IVF #1 - ER 06/13/12 - 9 Eggs Retrieved - 4 ICSI'd - only 2 fert. 06/15/12 - 2DT - 3 cell & 6 cell with fragmentation. Beta 06/29/12 - IVF #1 = BFN. 07/20/12 - WTF Appt -Told by our RE to quit IVF. Second Opinion from RE is good. IVF#2 - November 2012. Estradiol Pills Started 11/6. Stims start 11/16. ER 11/26 - 7 eggs retrieved - all mature. 4 fertilized with ICSI. ET 11/29 Transferred 3 embryos. Beta is 12/10. 1st Beta 81 2nd Beta 160 and 3rd beta 360!!! First U/S 12/21/12 - We saw one beautiful gest. sac. 2nd U/S is 01/04/2013 - H/B 183 02/05/13 - NT Scan - everything looks good and IT'S A BOY!  Aiden was born 08/20/2013.

IVF #2 is in progress.  ER was 05/12/14 - 11 eggs retrieved, 8 fertilized with ICSI.  ET was 05/15/14 - we transferred 3 embryos as we did on the cycle my son was conceived.  We were able to freeze 3 embryos. Beta is scheduled for 05/26/14.  1st beta - 111.  2nd beta - 159 didn't double :( 3rd beta Friday 5/30) - not a lot of hope left. Beta # 3 is 247 - probably ectopic.  Beta # 4 is 813 - possibly vanishing multiple sydrome?  06/05/14 - 5w4days - first U/S - we see a gestational sac and yolk - still have hope!  06/17/14 - 7w1day - U/S and saw and heard the heartbeat - Finally!  06/27/14 - 8w4days - Baby and heartbeat look and sound great :)  EDD 02/01/14 and It's a boy!

"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end."

BabyFruit Ticker

• @Mayzie15‌ we are definitely doing ICSI along with IVF as my H has severe MFI as well.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• I am 39 and pregnant for the second time having used IVF. Both times I have done IVF I got pregnant on my first cycle. My daughter is 2.5 and I'm pregnant again now. Science is pretty fab. I wish you the best.
  • I did IVF w/ ICSI at 38 and got pregnant on the first cycle.  I couldn't believe it after struggling to conceive (I also did IUI but my RE said my chances were low). 
  • I can't help with that, as I'm only 34, but I'd look into those IVF insurance plans if I was paying OOP.  The amount of stress you can put on yourself by thinking you have 1 shot and it HAS to work probably wouldn't help.  You should be hopeful, bc there's no reason for it to not work, but it helps if you plan and accept that it may take several cycles to get a BFP.  I hope this is your time!
    m/c my Angel Baby in 2000
    IUIs with clomid from 2009-2011   Feb 2011 - Tubal surgery (repair)  Jan 2012 - Tubal surgery (remove)  
    8/13 IVF#1.  Lupron/Follistim protocol - b/g twins born April 1 at 34 +1.  Luckiest woman in the world.
    8/15 FET #1 - transferred 1 thawed embryo - Pregnant with Baby C, it's a girl!  Due April 2016. Pregnancy Ticker  

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future"   Jer 29:11
    "All things work together for good to them that love God, who are the called according to His purpose"  Rom 8:28
    "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of salvation unto all who believe"  Rom 1:16
  • Not me personaly, but in My Shady grove fertility group with have at least 10 women 39 and over who had IVF babies. Maybe even had more even later than 39!
  • As a 39 year old when I began IVF, I found myself discouraged by statistics my Doctor gave me as well as what I read online. We had no issues uncovered, no cause found for my infertility. One retrieval, the 11 eggs they got ultimately lead to 1 PGS chromosomally normal 5 day blastocyst. Because just one made the cut (3 were sent for screening) that meant I had one chance. I did no acupuncture, ate no pineapple, did not stand on my head. I drank beer throughout the process and only stopped when my frozen blastocyst was transferred. I have to mention all of this because I felt so far behind when reading people's IVF stories on forums - so many woman did so much more than I did! After the transfer I convinced myself it would never work. My Doctors were so pessimistic (read: HORRIBLE), after my positive pregnancy test I found myself sitting around waiting for my miscarriage. It was so depressing I did not even tell my family I was pregnant until I was 19 weeks. But…SURPRISE! I am sitting next to my 9 week old perfectly perfect daughter. First try. Easy pregnancy (the worst part of my pregnancy BY FAR was the negative Doctors). Surprise cesarean at 38 weeks. It can happen ladies, keep your chins up! I stopped reading forums at about 13 weeks, it was too depressing. I think people turn to forums for support when they are having problems which is fine, but there are a disproportionate number of negative stories out there and I swore if I got though this I would write my story on forums so other people looking for reassurance could find it. Good Luck! My pregnancy was so easy I am going to try IVF again. Fingers crossed! As far as cost - we only paid for the PGS and copays on some of the medications, I would estimate $7000 out of pocket.  For my next attempt my new insurance is even better, PGS is included and my annual out of pocket maximum is $5000.  Yes, I am aware of how lucky I am!  Also, I apologize for not using all the fancy lingo/acronyms and for not remembering what medications I took.  I had no desire to be an IVF expert so I did not bother to memorize any of it, not going to learn it this time around, either.