Special Needs
Options

Should I take my older child to the MRI?

At the neuro appt, they scheduled us for an MRI at 7:00am. We have nobody that can watch DD (she's almost 5.) would you take her (she did great at the three hour neuro appt), or have one parent stay home with her while the other goes to the MRI?

Re: Should I take my older child to the MRI?

• Options
    Is your child being anaesthesized? If so, it will be a very long appt, longer than 3 hours. You will meet with the anesthesiologist, etc. And, if it is not at a children's hospital, there may be no child friendly areas. You could bring DD so both parents can be there initially and then one of you take DD home or someplace else before returning.
  • Options
    I agree with @thefuturemrskudla  If it's not a children's hospital, NO.  If you're child is being anesthetized, absolutely not.  When you're child wakes up in recovery your DD probably wouldn't be allowed back and your LO will need 1:1 attention.  Waking up is no fun. 

We had an MRI for DS2 this past winter.  Took us about 6 hours from start to finish.  We got there and got checked in.  Waited to be called back.  They took his vitals, we talked to the anesthesia  team repeatedly, we talked to radiologists, etc.  Then they had to put him to sleep.  They did this in the room before taking him.  It took a good 30 minutes.  He ended up needing a 3 rd booster of sedative to finally fall asleep.  And then they wait 10 minutes and monitored him before taking him back.

It took about 1.5 hours for the MRI to be done and then we met them in recovery.  It took a good 1.5 hours for him to really wake up.  And then it took another 1hour for him to drink and keep snack down and then we had to wait for all our discharge paperwork.

At our old hospital (we moved away) they had playgrounds and lots of play areas in the actual hospital.  Maybe then I would consider bringing her, but some don't.  And it's a long time and I wouldn't want to be trading off parenting duties at that time.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't.  Both times I brought my DD while my hubby stayed home with our other DD.  For her last MRI we had to be at the hospital at 5 and I got home at 12.  It makes for a really long day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. It will be done at a Children's Hospital, but I think I will leave her at home.
  • Options
    I wouldn't. 
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"