October 2014 Moms
Options

Braxton Hicks

So, I've been reading about a lot of you having BH contractions, but have any of you not had/not noticed any at all?
I'm 31 weeks today, and haven't noticed any at all. I've gotten cramps that feel like period cramps, and I get those a few times a week (it was more when I was working), but I haven't had any stomach tightening at all that I can tell. I'm a FTM, so maybe I'm just not noticing? Idk

Re: Braxton Hicks

• Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited August 2014
    Those are probably BH you are feeling. I didn't realize a lot of times what I thought baby movement or baby balling up was actually Bh
  • Options
    Ya, sometimes it feels like increased pressure like the baby is trying to stretch out , but I realized they were bh. I get them every evening now (31 weeks).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never felt any BH contractions when I was pregnant with DS. I haven't been able to distinguish this pregnancy between painful movement (sometimes when he stretches out it hurts) and BH. The other day while I was walking my stomach felt uncomfortably tight for a several minutes, but that's too long to be BH, right? They should come and go like normal contractions, I think...
    imageimage
  • Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited August 2014
    Emerald27 said:

I never felt any BH contractions when I was pregnant with DS. I haven't been able to distinguish this pregnancy between painful movement (sometimes when he stretches out it hurts) and BH. The other day while I was walking my stomach felt uncomfortably tight for a several minutes, but that's too long to be BH, right? They should come and go like normal contractions, I think...

Edited:

I read that wrong, no, BH can last a minute or more sometimes. If you feel it tighten while walking like that it was probably a BH

They do come and go but can last long periods of time ( duration not how many)

American pregnancy association:
    "Braxton Hicks contractions can begin as early as the second trimester. However they are most commonly experienced in the third trimester. When this happens, the muscles of the uterus tighten for approximately 30 to 60 seconds and sometimes as long as two minutes."
  • Options
    I've been getting what I think are BH for a number of weeks. Painless hardening of my belly that lasts about 30 seconds. I thought it was baby's head at first, but it's all over my abdomen rather than localized to an area the size of her head.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage

Winston is ready to have a little sister!

• Options
    I have had both the tightening of the belly all around and the menstrual cramps. So I have chalked those both up to BH. I am going to ask the OB at my next appointment.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a FTM too and I don't think I have experienced any BH contractions yet. I'm 32 weeks. I do get uncomfortable but nothing that would seem like tightening that comes and goes. Me have I had period like cramps, I did one day have 1 cramp that came and went so maybe that was BH? Not sure though. I don't think it's anything to worry about if you have not gotten it.
  • Options
    With my first I only really noticed them at the end when we would have sex. FTM it might be hard to recognize the BH.
  • Options
    heatherjeanpheatherjeanp member
    edited August 2014
    I first noticed sporatic menstrual like cramps about a month ago, and my OB said they were BH. At that time I don't think I noticed the tightening. Now I definitely am aware of the tightening as well. So you are probably experiencing BH too as cramps,
  • Options
    I first noticed sporatic menstrual like cramps about a month ago, and my OB said they were BH. At that time I don't think I noticed the tightening. Now I definitely am aware of the tightening as well. So you are probably experiencing BH too as cramps,
    This is me also. It happens on a daily basis now for me. Usually at night/evenings. 

imageimage

Anniversary

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I never had them with my first pregnancy or at least didn't notice them. I don't think I am having them this time around either. I do get really bad mentral cramping though :/ but I don't think menstral cramping is the same as BHs. I notice them the most when I lay down for bed or when I am working (I work midnights).
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Thx ladies for all the feedback! I have felt some tightening that I thought was just the baby pushing and stretching my stomach... I guess that may have been BH. Also, my Dr said if the cramps hurt, that those weren't BH
  • Options
    I also didn't really feel any BH with DS until the last week or two. I haven't notice any so far with this pregnancy. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    With DD (my first) I felt BH's from 24 weeks until I delivered at 34 weeks. With DS (this pregnancy), I started feeling them around 26 weeks.
  • Options
    I love this thread. I never had BH with my first either, that I knew of. With this one I started having them about 2 weeks ago, but wasn't aware that was what it was until I read this post. The past few days the BH have gotten stronger and more frequent. I was just noticing them at night but now I have been having them all day long. They do seem to be worse at night though. I have pain that radiates from my back around to my stomach and I notice my stomach balling up and getting really tight. At first like some of you I thought it was just the baby stretching and moving but now I know for sure that it is BH because they have gotten more frequent and harder. When I went into work today all my coworkers kept commenting on how much I had dropped over the weekend. Some of these BH are a little painful! Good luck ladies we are in the home stretch now! Btw I will be 34 weeks Wednesday.
  • Options
    Im 31 weeks and get them all day every day! They started prob 6 weeks ago or more. The first time I got worried I was at work. I'm a nurse on a physically demanding floor. I was having sometimes 8 or more per hour one day. Since then I get them when I stand up, sit, lay down, walk much, get in/out of the car.... So irritating! I asked my ob about the work days where I was having so many per hour. He said if they weren't painful they were most likely ok but to go to l&d if they became painful or "take your breath away, make you stop what your doing.". Websites I've read say its not good to have more than 4-6 per hour! So I'm a little confused!! I'm starting to have biweekly NST next week so maybe they will catch the contractions on the computer and give me some clarity. Ive heard the term "irritable uterus". Maybe that's what I have?? I hope this isn't indicative of delivering early... I'm even afraid to mop now because of how strong and frequent they become. Being a FTM is very confusing!
  • Options
    I've never noticed them yet, and even asked about that. There are times when my stomach feels harder then other times, but I honestly don't notice it unless I reach down and touch my stomach

It's a BOY! Est. Due Date - October 17th

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I've been experiencing BH several times a day for a month now. I'm 33 weeks. My doc says it's not a problem until it's accompanied by other preterm labor symptoms. It feels like a part of belly tightens up. They last about 20 to 30 seconds. They are not painful but have gotten stronger as the pregnancy has progressed. I think if you have had them you would know. I can't imagine not noticing one. I find drinking more water and staying off my feet decreases them. I've heard they are more common in hot weather when people tend to get dehydrated.
  • Options
    Im 31 weeks and get them all day every day! They started prob 6 weeks ago or more. The first time I got worried I was at work. I'm a nurse on a physically demanding floor. I was having sometimes 8 or more per hour one day. Since then I get them when I stand up, sit, lay down, walk much, get in/out of the car.... So irritating! I asked my ob about the work days where I was having so many per hour. He said if they weren't painful they were most likely ok but to go to l&d if they became painful or "take your breath away, make you stop what your doing.". Websites I've read say its not good to have more than 4-6 per hour! So I'm a little confused!! I'm starting to have biweekly NST next week so maybe they will catch the contractions on the computer and give me some clarity. Ive heard the term "irritable uterus". Maybe that's what I have?? I hope this isn't indicative of delivering early... I'm even afraid to mop now because of how strong and frequent they become. Being a FTM is very confusing!
    I'm a nurse too and when I would work I would get pretty intense contractions. They gave me Procardia to calm them down. But if your cervix isn't changing, the BH aren't significant.

Do you know how many per hour are ok?? I've had a very rough emotional day and in the last hour I've had them 14 times. I'm laying down and drinking water. I'm sure I got dehydrated today. I'm already on labetalol but I'll ask about procardia.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"