March 2014 Moms

UO thursday

Re: UO thursday

• I was not all overly upset Robin Williams killed himself. More frustrated that they blasted his death all over the news when there is so much more important tragic things going on in the world than a rich white man being depressed and hanging himself.

• Loading the player...
  • I don't think Shells is a troll. I think she is just an insanely awkward person with no people skills or self-awareness. It makes me feel bad for her. I really don't think she had any forethought about her post yesterday.

I am admittedly a huge softie. And still avoid her at all costs b/c I'm still pissed about the risking babies lives thing. 
  • babycaps said:

I am incredibly sad about Robin Williams.  I don't care who you are, how rich or poor you are, how known or unknown you are.  Depression SUCKS and I can speak from personal experience having been depressed in the past AND having it almost take the lives of two people very near and dear to me.  Raising awareness will be a good thing.
    What does piss me off, is that although Obama released some statement about Robin Williams (which is indeed appropriate IMO given that RW was a very prominent face on this earth), but has pretty much ignored the SHIT that is going on in St. Louis right now! 
    And what is going on in St. Louis right now is R I D I C U L O U S!!!!!

Edits: typos and words are hard. I lost some along the way

I've seen a couple statements from Obama about St. Louis this far. I don't think he's ignoring it. There's also not much he can do at the moment as president. It's an ongoing investigation so he cant take one side or the other until more is known.
  • SmittyPantsSmittyPants member
    edited August 2014
    @babycaps‌ this might reinforce your post because I (FFTC?) have no idea what you are talking about in reference to St. Louis.
    The people's right to peacefully assemble is being trampled on by the police. People were protesting the shooting of yet another unarmed black man and the police fired tear gas and rubber bullets at them. It's disgraceful. The police also are blacking out the media from reporting on it. 

Jezebel has good info:

Washington Post account of a reporter's arrest:

Archived live feed of the protest:

ETA: Please share this info on social media. There is very little information coming out of Ferguson and these people need the rest of the country aware of the situation. Frankly, I think the President should be sending in the National Guard to protect the residents from the police. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am incredibly sad about Robin Williams.  I don't care who you are, how rich or poor you are, how known or unknown you are.  Depression SUCKS and I can speak from personal experience having been depressed in the past AND having it almost take the lives of two people very near and dear to me.  Raising awareness will be a good thing.
    What does piss me off, is that although Obama released some statement about Robin Williams (which is indeed appropriate IMO given that RW was a very prominent face on this earth), but has pretty much ignored the SHIT that is going on in St. Louis right now! 
    And what is going on in St. Louis right now is R I D I C U L O U S!!!!!

Edits: typos and words are hard. I lost some along the way

I've seen a couple statements from Obama about St. Louis this far. I don't think he's ignoring it. There's also not much he can do at the moment as president. It's an ongoing investigation so he cant take one side or the other until more is known.
    Oh, but he can. People's constitutional rights are being trampled on. He most definitely can. 
  • I was not all overly upset Robin Williams killed himself. More frustrated that they blasted his death all over the news when there is so much more important tragic things going on in the world than a rich white man being depressed and hanging himself.
    Wow! This is a bit insensitive don't you think? He is in the public eye and people want to know! While he brought so many smiles to peoples' lives while he was dying inside. Depression does NOT discriminate! And this incident proves that, that a "white rich man" who appeared to "have it all" was so depressed that he couldn't deal with the demons anymore. It is incredibly sad, and my heart goes out to his family, friends, and yes, even his fans. Eta:typos
    I am not devaluing the tragedy of depression at all. I have gone through depression and my father is bipolar and had multiple issues with depression. I just believe there are more issues that can be focused on in the news besides this. Yes he had massive talent, but more important things are occuring.

• I'm tired of the debate about whether teachers are paid enough.

This was again 'worked out' as a cost-per-child on a news story asking whether schools in Canada should be closed if busses are cancelled.
    The pay a teacher receives has nothing to do with snow days and whether schools should be open or closed.

No, I don't want to debate their pay, I'm just saying it has NOTHING to do with snow days.
  • I also don't think people need to know the details of Robin Williams's death. I know all of it just from watching the news once. I think it's very personal. I hope this whole situation brings to light that depression knows no race, class, gender, religion, etc etc etc, instead of somehow encouraging others to commit suicide themselves.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• AriaAmante143 I am so glad more people have this view.

We go up to STL this weekend to look at houses for our move... great timing
  • kstar83 said:

AriaAmante143 I am so glad more people have this view.

I will say most areas of STL (and surrounding suburbs) are fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • I'm not sure how other news stations report incidents of suicide but I think it truly only helps other suffering from the same hardships if actual direction is given. What I mean by this is something along the lines of 'if you are suffering from depression or having thoughts of suicide, please reach out to XYZ services to get the help you need.' Or on the other side 'if you know someone who seems to be suffereing from XYZ, please do the following.'  Our local news here just states that Robin Williams took his life, and states the details around that. It doesn't point others in a resourceful direction, which, to me, doesn't make it about helping others who may be in a similar situation. Having something in common with someone who took their own life doesn't help find a solution. If it causes people to look into it and gets it some attention, that's obviously great; but, I'd be curious to know how much that actually happens, especially once the media attention falls off.
  • babylimas said:

Girl scouts does not agree with the stance of boy scouts. They aren't linked to that at all. 

That's what I thought because I did a little research when I wanted to buy cookies as I didn't want to financially support an organization that held the views of the Boy Scouts.
    Married 11/23/11, TTC starting 10/12, BFP#1 11/30/12, Adoption of stepson finalized 03/19/13,Loss of our daughter at 20w4d due to incompetent cervix 03/27/13, BFP#2 06/28/13, DS2 born 3/1/14.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I hate Frankie on Big Brother and think he needs to go home. I also don't like how the network is reconfiguring things to keep him in the show as long as possible.

I'm over him too.

I hate Christine. She's five seconds away from shoving her tongue down Cody's throat and she's freaking married.

• AriaAmante143 I am so glad more people have this view.

I will say most areas of STL (and surrounding suburbs) are fine.
    Oh I know, I have a rental house there right now. I am not worried too much. Most of what we are looking at will be pretty far away from north county anyway. I like being more on the south side or west of the city. I just think its really awful that people want to blame one side, either way. There are bad choices being made by both the police and the residents, and good ones as well.

But the news wants to say its all peaceful protest and rubber bullets....or its all looting and violence. No one shows the residents out there trying to clean up the next morning....just sad that this is what their community has come to.
  • KariB509 said:

I also don't think people need to know the details of Robin Williams's death. I know all of it just from watching the news once. I think it's very personal. I hope this whole situation brings to light that depression knows no race, class, gender, religion, etc etc etc, instead of somehow encouraging others to commit suicide themselves.

What the fuck? How does his death encourage others?!? Talking about it brings up awareness which helps people identify issues and hopefully get intervention..

Go home fool you're drunk.
    I think, but could be wrong, that she means things like the "You're free Genie" graphic showing others who are struggling that they too can free if they commit suicide. Someone mentioned that a little further back in thread.

• Regarding Ferguson, my gripe is not with the use of force to dispel looters. My gripe is with the use of force to dispel peaceful protesters, which, if you watch the video I posted, they were. In addition, the police were ordering the media to stop recording which is also illegal.

Frankly, EVERYONE should be outraged at this. The people (you, me, those in Ferguson, and all US citizens) have a right to peacefully assemble. The press has the right to report it. What the police officers did last night was illegal. 

• I hate Frankie on Big Brother and think he needs to go home. I also don't like how the network is reconfiguring things to keep him in the show as long as possible.

I'm over him too.
    I hate Christine. She's five seconds away from shoving her tongue down Cody's throat and she's freaking married.

Ugh. Christine.

imageimage

• fish8412 said:

The bumbo seat is an unnecessary baby product. I'm don't understand why they were so popular.

Ftfy
    What does Ftfy mean?
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• fish8412 said:

The bumbo seat is an unnecessary baby product. I'm don't understand why they were so popular.

Ftfy
    What does Ftfy mean?
    I am wondering the same thing. FBW has been around so long she knows abbreviations that I never knew existed.
    Too many abbreviations!!!! Lol
  • I don't know what 4H is
  • I was in 4H as a kid, all my animals died :(

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't like red wine. That's my uo.

Me either! I also can't stand dry white wines.

Both of these!!
  • In regards to the Ferguson looting- I live about 15 minutes from where it is all happening. My DH has been sleeping on the couch with a gun next to him. I agree that justice needs to be served, but violent looting and tearing down businesses is not the way to get it.

I do not believe the police are overacting as I have seen what the looters have been doing and the police reaction is to those who are NOT protesting peacefully... at all. There have been posts of the County police officers' home addresses and they are being targeted because they are cops.

I understand they are claiming racism, and I am not saying it wasn't- but targeting "all white people" and "all cops" to take it out on is stating that all cops/white people are in one set group= not true.

I may not have a complete understanding of what happened when he was shot (no one does at this point) but I do have a first hand realistic view of the violence that has ensued afterwards and in no way is it peaceful or proving a valid point IMO.

I absolutely agree. Now they're demanding the name of the police officer be released "in the name if transparency". at this point id fear someone would hunt down his family and murder them once his name is released. That's how our of control it's gotten.

Stay safe.

I wish protests of this magnitude were not necessary. Unfortunately, without the protests, no one would even be talking about another young black male shot and killed by the police. Let's not even get started on the historical and current failure of our justice system to provide justice for all..
  • I thought 4H had to do with farming? Apparently it also involves genetic mutations of fruit flies and dying animals? lol guess you learn something new everyday ;)

Funny tidbit about 4H. In high school my track team would always go to this restaurant after a few meets to hang out... We were a bit rowdy so eventually they banned us....... UNTIL we started making reservations as the 4H club. Then we were a-ok lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"