Parenting after a Loss

CPW: What do you use pacifiers for?

MrsWallickMrsWallick member
edited August 2014 in Parenting after a Loss
So I gave A her first paci a few weeks ago and had an emotional meltdown that I couldn't provide her what she needed and had to resort to a paci instead. Then I told those hormones to cut that shit out and moved on with my day. I got her a wubbanub and for some reason felt much more at ease with it. Maybe because the stuffed animal providing comfort seemed better.... But then I got to wondering, what do other people use the paci for? Now that she likes it, is it okay for her to just hang out with it for now, while she's still itty bitty? Give your input on pacifiers please! My grandparents were dentists so getting rid of the pacifier by the first birthday is a must for us.

BFP #1: 3/23/13, EDD: 11/22/13, MC: 4/2/13
Convinced it was a boy and missing him every day!
BFP #2: 10/25/13, EDD: 7/3/14, Grow baby Grow! Anabelle Rose born 6/6/14 

image     image

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic August Siggy Challenge: If Babies Could Talk

CPW: What do you use pacifiers for? 49 votes

Never used a pacifier or I stopped because LO had nipple confusion
4% 2 votes
I use it only as a last resort for soothing
6% 3 votes
I use it to help LO fall asleep
24% 12 votes
I use it occasionally as a soother
30% 15 votes
LO hangs on to it most of the day
14% 7 votes
SS
20% 10 votes

Re: CPW: What do you use pacifiers for?

• Baby Boots uses one to fall asleep. We gave him one when he was in the NICU because I wasn't going to deprive him of anything that gave him comfort when he had to spend 99% of his time inside a plastic box. I was hoping he'd get bored of it but he still needs it most of the time to help him fall asleep. I guess he'll dump it when he's ready.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• My DD used one from 10 days old pretty consistently until she was about a year. The last few months we have weaned her off it and only give it to her occasionally if she's really upset. At this point it's about once a week. I am so happy she took the soother as it really helped with soothing. We tried not giving it to her sleep as we didn't want her to become dependent on it to fall asleep.

BFP#1 D&C May 18th 2012 at 9 wks. EDD Dec 17 2012
    BFP#2 CP Sept 17th 2012 at 4.5 wks. EDD May 23 2013
    BFP#3 EDD June 24th 2013 IT'S A GIRL!
    BFP#4 EDD March 2 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I use it as a soothing tool after he's been fed and wants to suck but doesn't really want more milk. DS1 never took a paci so it's been kind of nice that DS2 will because it gives my nipples a bit of a break!
  • With tiny ones we use it for sleeping and any other time during the day she wants it. They get such comfort from sucking, and I don't want to feed her when she isn't hungry just because sucking is soothing. With my oldest we started confining it nap/bedtime and the car around 5 months, so she never walked around with it. I think it's helpful for self soothing, just like her lovey is, and I like that they have things to help soothe them in bed. Plus it's supposed to lower the risk of SIDS.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• DS never took one. I actually tried to get him to take one because he would just suck on me for hours and my poor nipples just couldn't take it any more. No luck. I was never worried about nipple confusion, as DS could go back and forth from a bottle to nursing without bating an eye.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• I use it when I know LO isn't hungry.  I also find it to be a lifesaver on car rides.  I don't use it at night becuase I don't want it to be a must have for her to fall asleep. 

Mostly this is all new territory and I'm still figuring it out.  DS never took one.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Thanks for all the input! Feeling better about the paci already :) Stupid new mommy hormones!!!

image     image

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic August Siggy Challenge: If Babies Could Talk
  • DS had one for his 2 days in the NICU and when he was discharged to my hospital room one of our nurses threw it away in an attempt to help us EBF. 11 weeks later and we still hadn't gotten the hang of it so I began EPing. I suppose at that point we could have given it back to him and I guess I did offer it a couple of times but he only gnawed on it and didn't really fully take it. At the time he almost always had a fist in/near his mouth. Fast forward a few months and he has pulled a wubanub out of his toy boy and chewed/gnawed on it. He also likes to take them from the other babies at daycare, haha. But he still doesn't really take one and if he needs something in his mouth a finger or two seems to do the trick.
    TTC #1 since January 2011
    BFP#1 April 12, 2011, EDD December 24, 2011, strong heart beat at 7w3d, d&c at 10w6d
    BFP#2 Oct 24, 2011, natural miscarriage, EDD unknown
    After RPL testing my losses and subsequent infertility are considered unexplained.
    Cycle #22: Femara, TI, and progesterone = BFP!! 
    BFP#3 Dec 21, 2012. Beta #1 @14dpo = 134, progesterone 67.8. Beta #2 @ 17dpo = 664! Team green, EDD 9/1/13, healthy baby boy born 9/12/13!
    imageimage  My chart.

Congratulations to the fabulous KGS2003! Her sweet boys are here! Grow boys grow!!!
  • Mostly for soothing, usually as a last resort. He also fight sleep during the day really badly, so the pacifier comes in handy for getting him to fall asleep. He won't take it any other time.
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Jane was given a paci a few times in the NICU to soothe her while she got her heel pricked  (they should have given one to mama too  :(( lol) but once home, we haven't given it to her too often, only at night as a last resort when she's fussing after a feeding and won't sleep...I'm not too worried about nipple confusion since DH still bottle feeds her once a night...but do whatever you feel is best! It's different for everyone (and every baby) :)
    ~All are welcome~
    MC 23/01/2013 natural @ 7 Weeks

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We have tried to give DD one, but she hates them. The only one she took a semi-liking to was the Avent soothes. I still give it to her if she needs some soothing but she usually will only chew on it now so it's more of a teether than anything else. 

• DD used a pacifier in the NICU as part of her OT, and continued using it for sleep.  She now uses one for sleeping and the occasional soothing.  I keep a pacifier clipped to her car seat, and she has a wubbanub in her bed.  We don't keep them lying around, but we are fairly certain she would drag the wubbanub everywhere is we let her.  She loves playing with her little longhorn.

TTC started Oct '10
    Me: AMA w/RSD, atypical PCOS w/IR, LPD and High Prolactin. Controlled HP post-loss.
    DH: Low-T and borderline morph
    18 cycles, 3 medicated w/RE to get to a BFP!
    EDD 9/7/12, Saw HB @7w3d,missed m/c 1/30 @8w3d, d&c 2/8
    11 AL cycles, 9 medicated/IUI cycles. All BFFN!
    Moving forward with IVF
    BFP#2 our little cycle break surprise on AL cycle 12! EDD 10/27/13
    Beta #1: 41 Beta #2: 398; perfect u/s 3/11 hb @133bpm
    u/s 3/25 one perfect hb @183 bpm, adjusted EDD 10/23/13
    MaterniT21 and carrier screens normal. It's a girl!!!
    Severe Pre-E, HFpEF, PE, AMA & IF= OAD

imageimageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    All IF/AL Welcome!
  • SerenlaSerenla member
    edited August 2014
    I used to give DS one during the early days mostly because I was desperately tired and constant nursing was difficult for us with the tongue tie. Now though he doesn't really take one, he does have a wub but he is a biiiiig finger sucker. Whatever keeps you happy kid.

P.s. I wouldn't feel guilty about giving them a paci it's about survival in the early days lol.

mean_girls_35345Image and video hosting by TinyPic         PAL Sep challenge George Takei image
    Started dating in 5/9/05, Married 6/25/11
    Started TTC Feb 2013, BFP #1 3/4/13 EDD 11/10/13. MMC 4/9/13 D&C 4/22/13.
    BFP #2 7/17/13, EDD 3/29/14 ended in a CP on 7/22/13.
    BFP#3 8/19/13 EDD 5/3/14 Nerdling was born 4/29/14, welcome little one!
     All AL welcome.

image   Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We used it for soothing and at bed time because it is supposed to lower the risk of SIDS. Zaiden only took it till about 3 months. Now he refuses it no matter what. I'm glad though, because now we won't have to take it away when he's older. :)

TTC since August 2011
    BFP#1 3/16/12 EDD 11/21/12 Delivered 6/1/12 at 15 weeks 2 days
    "If there ever comes a day when we can't be together... Keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." ~ Winnie the Pooh

BFP#2 4/14/13 EDD 12/24/13 Please be our rainbow after the storm!
    Beta#1 @ 15dpo 274, P4 16.9 Beta#2 @ 18dpo 940!! Doubling time of 40 hours!! u/s @ 6w2d showed a beautiful HB of 120! u/s @ 10w1d HB 174!! Grow, LO Grow!! Found out 7/22 we are TEAM BLUE!!
    Zaiden Harper was born 12/22/13 at 1:46 am. 9lbs 8oz and 22in
    ~*~AL Always Welcome~*~
    imageimage
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

• I wish my daughter would take it. I couldn't do it with my son, he used to spit it and she is the same. She just prefer to suck on my nipple and use it as a pacifier (ouch...).

Mummy to 2 wonderful children
    Noah (2011) & Lily (2014)
  • K2 only users it occassionaly now for soothing by her choice. I wouldn't worry about giving her one. Sucking is very soothing. SHe has a wannanub and a DIY wannanub. Some babies are just sucky babies. I'd rather have her sucking on a pacithan her thumb. ThATS a lot harder to take away.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Our 3 Precious Angels That Left Us Too Soon
    BFP #2-EDD 07/05/13 - Tater and Tot passed at 12w3d. D&C 1/17/13
    BFP #3-EDD 12/19/13 - Peanut passed at 9w1d. D&C 05/31/13

Diagnosed with Hypothyroid 05/20/13 

BFP #4 - 09/22/13 - DD#2 born 05/27/14

All Alers Welcome!

imageimage

• I give L the paci when trying to get him to sleep. Sometimes he takes it, sometimes he spits it out. I was unsure about offering it so early, but my pediatrician encouraged us to do so if he would take it.

As for feeling like you weren't able to provide A what she needed, just remember you did. She needed a paci and you have it to her. ;)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers    
      *All AL Welcome*    imageimage

• So far, at six whole days old, he doesn't love the paci, but it does help with soothing occasionally. DH is already ready to toss it, and we had a little tiff about that today. :-P I am still in the "whatever helps" camp. I would ideally get rid of it by 6 mos, though.

CafeMom Tickers

January PAL siggie challenge; Good advice:

• Qfrump said:

Does using a pacifier help cut down on the grunting, etc in sleep? BBQ sounds like a baby elephant sometimes.

Eta: lactation consultant said to cut dairy if he acts constipated at night

A is the same way with the grunting! She does eventually lose it when she falls asleep with it, so I'm not sure if it helps or not. But, dairy has been cut already. She was spitting up a lot and very gassy and even though I know that's normal, I thought I would just see if it made a difference and so far it has! She still spits up and has gas but definitely not as much.

image     image

• We just use them at naps and occasionally at bedtime (she has a must easier time falling asleep at bedtime so they're mostly for naps).

On occasion I will give her one if we are someplace that I to keep her content, like I had to take her to the salon the other day so I could get my hair cut.  I figure a paci now and again outside of sleeping isn't bad so that other patrons don't have to listen to my crying baby, plus it helps keep her calm and I'd rather she not be stressed just because I need to get my hair cut. 

We hope to stop using them altogether by 1, 2 at the latest.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• SS. Neither of my kids ever really took to them. DS would spit them across the room. DD took it a few times in the depths of the NB stage when I tried it and it worked. Now she has found her thumb so I'm pretty sure the paci is history.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"