Attachment Parenting

Book recommendation for FTM

Hello all :)

I'm lurking from PG>35.  I'm exploring AP and was wondering if there's a book that you found particularly useful and all encompassing?  I will be a first time mom, so I also need to get up to speed with general baby stuff.

I was looking at the Baby Book by the Sears.  Any comments on this? And whether it is better than the Attachment Parenting Book, also by the Sears?

Many thanks (and apologies if this topic has been discussed before).

Re: Book recommendation for FTM

• "The Baby Book" and "The Attachment Parenting Book" are both excellent, but the former I used more just as a reference. I really love his book "Nighttime Parenting" too!

I recommend to all new and pregnant moms the book "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding." It's a great resource for breastfeeding questions and challenges you may encounter at every stage, and it also contains great info about infant weight gain, starting solids, sleep, bonding, play, and a host of other important topics.
    imageimage
  • Agree that either Sears book is good. I'm not sure that either has been updated particularly recently, though. I really like peaceful parent, happy kids, dr. laura markham (her website, aha! parenting, also has tons of free resources). For sleep issues, the no cry slep solution by elizabeth pantley. She also has a good website. As an up-to-date, general baby care reference, i really like baby 411 by ari brown. It's not an AP book, but it has lots of sensible advice and good info on common illnesses and baby care stuff.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was amazed how my instincts kicked in. Books are helpful, but don't worry you will find your way! AP is very natural, it's those crazy scheduling ideologies you need books for
  • Womanly Art of Breastfeeding for sure.
  • vvvvvfeevvvvvfee member
    edited August 2014
    la leche league literally just came out with a book on sleep and it is really great. i only wish i had it 2 years ago when DS was born!

Sweet Sleep: Nighttime and Naptime Strategies for the the Breastfeeding Family
  • I liked "Beyond the Sling" by Mayim Bialik (the actress and neuroscientist).  It's by no means comprehensive, but it's a fun read.
  • The Baby Book is a great overall view of AP and child development. Their babywearing section is terribly outdated, but there are great resources in babywearing groups and websites. I agree that The Woman Art... is a must read. I also loved Beyond the Sling for it's day-to-day look at AP.
  • argyledogsargyledogs member
    edited August 2014
    I recommend Attached at the Heart and The Happiest Baby on the Block to everyone. Baby manuals. For real. 

ETA: get the newest versions so you don't get outdated info.
  • Seconding PPs who liked the Sears' Baby Book as a reference - I find it helpful if I need to get a reality check on whatever DD is up to. It was also helpful in the newborn stage, when you take a baby home and realize you have no idea how to take care of one! (Hah, maybe just me?)

Nursing Mother's Companion was a godsend for me when DD was a newborn, and kellymom.com is SO helpful.

I also liked No Cry Sleep Solution - it gave us some techniques that we used from time-to-time (particularly when DD was waking up every 2 hours at 6m!), and I still refer to it sometimes to check in on things.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"