VBAC

Hospital VBAC question for those who have had one

Hey ladies! I popped in here before I got pregnant and haven't really been back since. :( I'm almost 24 weeks with my second and planning to VBAC.  :D

I have a question regarding those who have had a hospital VBAC. Did you choose to labor at home for a while, or did you go in once your contractions met the requirements? My OB wants you to come in asap for monitoring of course, but I'd rather stay home as long as possible to increase my chances/decrease intervention. So I'm wondering what other people chose to do and any other info you ladies have about this. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFetus Ticker  
Ashley, DH: Paul
Angel Baby: March 09
#1-BFP: 11.17.09~EDD: 7.21.10~Tristan born 7.13.10 via unnecessary c-sec
#2-BFP: 3.17.14~EDD: 11.28.14~ It's A Girl!~Shooting for a VBAC
                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Hospital VBAC question for those who have had one

• I have not had my VBAC yet, but I am planning to labor at home as long as I feel safe.  I'm planning to hire a doula.  I feel like a doula will have the experience to know when labor pains are normal or starting to get unusual.  I would not feel comfortable laboring without someone knowledgeable to reassure me.

This is a tough decision and I think it is very specific to each individual and their comfort level.  Good luck with whatever you decide and hope you get your VBAC!! :)
                                                                                              BFP #1 3/2/12, T born 11/7/12
                                                                                                 BFP #2  7/2/14, CP 7/6/14
                                 BFP #3 8/28/14, MMC 10/2/14 @ 9wks - misoprostol 10/6/14, D&C 11/3/14 for retained tissue
                                       BFP #4 12/25/14, EDD 9/7/15 - please stick baby, you are so loved and wanted!!!!!                                                                                           

image  image                                                                      
  • My water broke before contractions started and when I called they told me to come in right away. Since I was attempting a vbac they did not want me to wait at home without being monitored, so I took their advice and went as soon as our friend came to watch or older child.
  • Loading the player...
  • With my second (my first VBAC), I went in about four hours after contractions started because my husband was afraid that traffic would be really bad. With my third, contractions started around 7 pm, and we went in the next morning around 9 am. At both hospitals that I've delivered at, they put you in a bed with monitors and an iv fairly quickly, which is okay with me since I get epidurals, but if you'd like the opportunity to walk around and try different positions, then you'd be better off laboring at home for a while.
  • Here are some questions to be asking:
     - I'd ask your doc about what the signs are to look for in early labor that would indicate a problem. Ask his/her reasoning for the benefits of being in the hospital early.
    - Ask your doula AHEAD OF TIME what experience she has with VTOL and early labor. And if you're hiring a doula, she'd be at the hospital with you, so you'll have support/an advocate no matter how long you're in the hospital.
    - Ask your doc what the hospital does during a VTOL. My hospital has wireless monitoring, so I don't need to be hooked up to monitors and stuck in bed like a PP said). Don't assume one way or the other based on our experiences, because it definitely seems to vary by what they do.

Keep in mind that the reason they want you in the hospital is that response time needs to be extremely quick (like 15 minutes) if there is a problem. Low probability, high consequences. Not saying you need to head right in.... just putting out some reasoning behind their suggestion.

• I hired a doula bc I wanted to labor at home, and having one gave us more peace of mind about it (fully realizing doulas aren't med professionals). My MW told me to stay home until labor was really going, i.e. not to rush in. I ended up going to the hospital during transition, which wasn't fun! If I were to do it again, I'd probably head in sooner, but make sure things were really trucking along first.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• As soon as my water broke, I went right to the hospital.  They hooked my up to an IV and all, but I was able to walk the halls and sit in a rocking chair while I labored.  I did not feel confined at all.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Second Birthday tickers  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My contractions began at 2:00 a.m. I stuck it out until 10 a.m. and arrived at hospital. My active labor started about an hour later, and lasted until 8 p.m. I was unmedicated until 7:30, and thankful to have been under the watchful eyes of the medical staff.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all the input ladies!! I've definitely discussed it with my doula and OB and understand why they request you come in early. It's just good to hear what others chose to do. :)

BabyFetus Ticker  
                        Image and video hosting by TinyPic image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • af2004rnaf2004rn member
    edited August 2014
    I stayed home as long as I could tolerate it. It's probably a good thing I did so, because from early labor until delivery was 29 hours. I doubt I would have had my successful VBAC if I went in earlier.  

ETA: (I went in 13 hours before the baby was born)
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP May 2017. 
    BFP July 2014. Low Progesterone. DS born by repeat c-section for breech presentation.
    BFP November 2011 TWINS!!!. Lost a twin at 7 weeks. DS born VBAC.
    BFP July 2009. DD born via c/section for breech presentation.
    BFP Jan. 2009. Missed miscarriage at 9 weeks.D&C March 2010
    December 2009 - Diagnosed with bicornuate uterus.
  • Bandia12 said:
    Thanks for all the input ladies!! I've definitely discussed it with my doula and OB and understand why they request you come in early. It's just good to hear what others chose to do. :)
    @bandia12, do you mind if I ask what you mean by your baby being born via "unnecessary c-section" in your siggy? I'm just curious b/c I feel like my won emergency c-section was kind of unnecessary too (wasn't given the opportunity to progress on my own without pitocin).
  • I laboured at home. Contractions started at dinner time, continued over night. I did get some sleep. They weren't regular yet. I stayed home the next day. My midwife checked me around noon and wasn't convinced they were regular at that time. She came back around 9:30 that evening and I was 7 cm so we went to the hospital. I delivered DS about an hour and a half later.
  • I was induced so I labored at the hospital the entire time. Successful VBAC after 12 hours of easy labor and an epidural!
  • I had PROM. I went in right away,but because with my daughter, my prodromal labor had me 6 cm dilated, not in labor. I was nervous thing would quickly, so I just want to be sure I was at the hospital on Tim. Plus, the night before, I had some leaking, which I was beginning to question if my water starting leaking then, vs what I had assumed to be was peeing myself.
  • RDK24 said:
    Bandia12 said:
    Thanks for all the input ladies!! I've definitely discussed it with my doula and OB and understand why they request you come in early. It's just good to hear what others chose to do. :)
    @bandia12, do you mind if I ask what you mean by your baby being born via "unnecessary c-section" in your siggy? I'm just curious b/c I feel like my won emergency c-section was kind of unnecessary too (wasn't given the opportunity to progress on my own without pitocin).
    @RDK24 , no I don't mind :). It's a long story but it's on page 1 of the "Roll Call Anyone" post if you want to read about it some. It just wasn't medically necessary and wasn't considered an emergency c-sec. I was bullied into an unnecessary induction, then failed to progress. I had a very impatient doc, a shitty doc really, with her own agenda.

BabyFetus Ticker  
  • Bandia12 said:
    RDK24 said:
    Bandia12 said:
    @RDK24 , no I don't mind :). It's a long story but it's on page 1 of the "Roll Call Anyone" post if you want to read about it some. It just wasn't medically necessary and wasn't considered an emergency c-sec. I was bullied into an unnecessary induction, then failed to progress. I had a very impatient doc, a shitty doc really, with her own agenda.
    Thanks for sharing and sorry for your crappy experience.
  • fsumomfsumom member
    edited October 2014
    The only reason I went in right away after suspecting my water broke is because I was GBS positive so I needed antibiotics.  I got to the hospital around 5AM and had DS at 1:35PM.
    ~Jessica~ 

• I stayed home as long as possible which ended up being a great idea because I had 6 days of prodromal labor!  My doula was instrumental in keeping me out of the hospital.  I showed up at 9.5 cm.  My doctor was not there, so I had an on call doc, and I know going in almost fully dialated was key to getting my VBAC!
  • My water broke and I went right in, due to the fact with my first, I was 6 cm dilated, not in labor. I was also in prodromal labor with my vbac, so I was nervous I was really dilated (which I wasn't, only about 4 cm) but I was constantly having contractions, so I was scared I wouldn't know when to go,. So basically. I was afraid labor would progress quickly, so I wanted to be sure I would get there on time. Which was a smart decision, once "real" contractions started, he was born in about half an hour.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"