Adoption

International Adoption

Hi all! For years I have had adoption on my heart for years, and I really feel like God is telling us it is time for us to start the process of completing our family through the adoption of a little girl. We are JUST starting this process, and I have been researching agencies. I was wondering if anyone could recommend their agencies? We are very interested in adopting from China or possibly Hong Kong. We also are hoping to do some fundraising to help with the costs, so if anyone has any info on that it would be appreciated as well!

Thanks!

Re: International Adoption

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you all! Yes, we are planning on a special needs child. That is where out heart is really being led.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hello, and welcome.

I adopted two children internationally from Peru.  M, my oldest, came to us in 2010, at the age of 7, and my younger son, J, came to us at the age of 5 in 2012.

In international adoption, typically, you’ll want to first select which country's program best suits your family and then chose an agency  that has a strong program in that country. The US Department of State's website lists the requirements to adopt from each country (https://adoption.state.gov/).  I always recommend you find a country that you wish to adopt from first, and then chose an agency.  There are some great agencies that have some really strong programs in countries they've been working in for some time...and some fledgling programs in countries that are new to them.  Even though these agencies are generally highly recommended, their newer programs may not work as well as those that are more renowned, because they haven't had the time and experience to figure out all the kinks, establish strong contacts, and become aware of all the pitfalls.  It's also a good idea to find an agency that has a strong program in more than one country you are interested in.  Adoption programs can be very volatile, as they are dependent on the laws of multiple countries/compacts, diplomatic relations, public perception, etc.  It's not unheard of for a country to drastically slow down their process or close entirely, and if your agency specializes in more than one country you are interested in, you should be able to transfer to another program with limited difficulty or cost (you should make sure of this when interviewing agencies).  The yahoo group "Adoption Agency Research" is a phenomenal resource for vetting agencies, and works the same way as “AARD.”

Since I did not adopt from China or Hong Kong, I'm hesitant to recommend an agency.  According to the US State Department website, Hong Kong processes very few adoptions to the US each year (only 17 children in 2013 and 12 children in 2012), so you may have trouble finding a program that works from there or you may discover the process is very long and difficult.
  • No information on fundraising, but we are adopting from Korea.  We were also interested in China, but we found our son (waiting child) before we chose a country, and he was in Korea, so we ended up going with them.  We also looked into Africa, but we weren't married long enough to qualify.  Mexico and South America required too long of a stay, and Jamaica's program was still too young/unpredictable.  
  • Hi! I haven't posted on here in quite a while, but was lurking today and saw your post. We came home from China with our son in May, so I'd be happy to answer any China adoption related questions you may have! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    After 2 years of IF workups/treatments and 2 IUIs, we have closed the door on fertility treatments.
    We are very excited to be pursuing international adoption from China!
    6000 miles and a day
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • wdswds member
    Hello! Hubby and I are currently in the process of adopting a special needs child from china. Check out CCAI as an agency. I did a lot of research and they seem to have some the most over the years, have great connections and an organized system. I followed up on references provided and later discovered that my husband has a coworker that used them. They also specialize in China, which is a bonus! I have emailed and called multiples times with questions and always get a prompt, thorough answer. We are about halfway through our paperwork and home study right now. So far I am VERY confident with our agency choice. Since they are not local, we did need to find a local agency for our home study. CCAI recommended a couple and we uses one of them. It has been smooth so far. Good luck! Its an exciting adventure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"