2nd Trimester

Gender Reveal Idea...

nikkitaplinnikkitaplin member
edited July 2014 in 2nd Trimester

My husband isn't into the gender reveal party and I want something more than just the tech telling us what we are having....here are the two things I'm going to do.  The shirt one is more for me and the older kids, each one doing one hand print on each side like the pic. ...the silly string will be a family and will go on an 'announcement' to friends and family....We will not know what the sex is before the silly string comes out.  I'm going to have the tech put the 'answer' in an envelope, give it to my mom, she will buy the silly string and wrap it so we can't see the color beforehand.  I think I'm going to have us all in white shirts so the color 'pops'.  I'm not one for all in the same shirt for a pic but I think this will be the only time I'd do it.

What do you think?  (my kids are 7 and 9 so totally old enough to get into the silly string thing...we may even need more than one can each!)

Re: Gender Reveal Idea...

• edited July 2014
    Cute ideas. :) Sounds fun.
    Married 11/2008. Started TTC January 2014.
    BFP 3/30/14. <3 EDD 12/4/14
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I think no one will care as much about the SEX (not gender) of your baby as you and your H and your kids. 

I think it's all just way too much effort to find out the sex of your baby. 
    I said gender once.  as to 'gender reveal parties' seeing as how that's what they are called.  I have no problem saying the SEX of the baby. 
  • Loading the player...
  • kc192kc192 member
    edited July 2014

The party name is technically incorrect. Gender and sex do not mean the same thing.
    It may be technically incorrect, but is it just me or does "Sex Reveal Party" sound.... um, not family friendly?

OP- I think that sounds like a great way for your family to find out and a fun thing to do with your kids to get them excited for the baby. If your mom is willing to get some silly string why not??
    BabyFruit Ticker  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• kc192 said:

The party name is technically incorrect. Gender and sex do not mean the same thing.
    It may be technically incorrect, but is it just me or does "Sex Reveal Party" sound.... um, not family friendly?

OP- I think that sounds like a great way for your family to find out and a fun thing to do with your kids to get them excited for the baby. If your mom is willing to get some silly string why not??
    my mom is just buying it for us so we wont know the color till it comes out.  It'll just be the four of us (me, kids and husband) doing the string.  thanks for the kind words.
  • SA0012SA0012 member
    edited July 2014
    If you just want the moment to be more "special" than the tech telling you and your husband I can tell you that we just had an awesome and very emotional experience with our families without all the hassle.

We don't live close to them anymore so while on a visit home we went to an elective u/s center. It was more like a big hotel room with lots of chairs and a big screen tv for the u/s.

Yes, the tech just said, "There's your proof! There's your little boy!".

But all of our immediate family, my best friend an an Aunt were there. Everyone erupted and I cried my face off. The rest of the ultrasound was all just for fun, watching the baby move and everyone got to watch and make fun comments. 

It was an open invitation and we made sure no one felt obligated to come. But we all ended up going out to lunch together afterwards (on a whim) and it was one of the best days ever. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • KMommytobeKMommytobe member
    edited August 2014
    Those are really cute ideas. Like someone else said though, I would just pick one. I also agree with posting photos on Facebook and not sending out official announcements. However, it is your life and you can decide to so whatever you want. Everyone is just stating their opinions :)

Edit: sorry just saw your reply. I think it's great to mail out announcements to the members of the fam who don't have fb. I think people were thinking mass announcements.
  • edited August 2014
    Totally late to this convo...
    I'm not typically into turning this type of thing into a big party, but I have to say it is nice to do it when you have older children or close family who live far, so they can 'participate' in the reveal and get excited.

My cousin has 2 boys, 5 and 7yo and was preg again and did a simple thing of putting blue baloons into a box and taping it shut, then the boys opened it and everyone was just super excited abouta new baby bro.

MH wanted to do the same for our little DD and she had a blast with that. We filmed it and later emailed the clip to both sets of grandparents instead of just telling them over the phone (all live far away). Everyone loved it.

Before you do the silly string though, a friend of mine did this and the stuff stained her walls and carpet and was REALLY hard to get out of the carpet fibers. She said if she had known, she would have done the actual spraying outside.
  • This is my first and all I am doing is a reveal cake at the shower. I just love keeping my family guessing.

• The ideas are cute, and you know better than anyone if the people you know "care" enough to want to receive a formal announcement. I think it's not so very uncommon for the ones we love to be happy for us, and finding out whether you're having a son or a daughter is a big event. Do what makes you feel comfortable and happy :)
    imageimage
  • Totally late to this convo... I'm not typically into turning this type of thing into a big party, but I have to say it is nice to do it when you have older children or close family who live far, so they can 'participate' in the reveal and get excited. My cousin has 2 boys, 5 and 7yo and was preg again and did a simple thing of putting blue baloons into a box and taping it shut, then the boys opened it and everyone was just super excited abouta new baby bro. MH wanted to do the same for our little DD and she had a blast with that. We filmed it and later emailed the clip to both sets of grandparents instead of just telling them over the phone (all live far away). Everyone loved it. Before you do the silly string though, a friend of mine did this and the stuff stained her walls and carpet and was REALLY hard to get out of the carpet fibers. She said if she had known, she would have done the actual spraying outside.
    We are going to a park!  :)  I learned my lesson with the staining when someone bought it for my SON as a BIRTHDAY present when he was TWO!   And yes, this is more for US as a family.  Something different and unique and gets the older kids involved more than just finding out at the u/s which I did when I was pregnant with them.  After loosing our last baby at 20 weeks, we figured doing something fun like this would be cool for the kids.  
  • I think it's a really cute idea :)
  • In my region, that is something people enjoy. Cute and I think you'll all have fun doing it. I like receiving announcements in the mail or on Facebook or really anywhere. It's not like I'm paying for them and they most often make me smile.
  • Love these. It's what we did too with the older kids (on the front lawn). It was a lot of fun and a way to make them feel more involved, which is important to us as they're from my 1st marriage. We are sensitive to feelings about being a blended family. It worked great.

I'm more underground about this pregnancy though... 15 weeks and there's nothing on FB. It was 100% for us.
  • Love these. It's what we did too with the older kids (on the front lawn). It was a lot of fun and a way to make them feel more involved, which is important to us as they're from my 1st marriage. We are sensitive to feelings about being a blended family. It worked great. I'm more underground about this pregnancy though... 15 weeks and there's nothing on FB. It was 100% for us.
    That's exactly it.  My kids are from my first marriage.  When I was pregnant last year before loosing the baby, my daughter asked if we would forget about her.  More because of what was being said at her dads house...so we wanted something that made it personal for them and made them feel 'into' it.  Honestly, if it wasn't for being a blended family, I'd probably just find out at the u/s.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"