2nd Trimester

elective c-section

2»

Re: elective c-section

• Alygohome said:
    I didn't even know you could elect to get a C-section .. the hospital I am delivering at doesn't even offer C-Sections, if there is an emergency you are airlifted to the nearest hospital that does them.. which it over an hour drive away.
    Really? I have never heard of a hospital that won't perform an emergency CS.
    I live in a rural area between three small towns, two of the small towns only have one room for delivery and the other one has two rooms. None of them have any surgery capabilities. If you have a high risk pregnancy you have to drive into one of the major city centres. But, they all have heli pads and if you have any complications they air lift you to the nearest city that can take you. I am in Canada so It might be different in rural areas here then in the US.

@Alygohome I lived rurally (in Canada - BC) when I delivered my first (luckily we lived in the "major urban centre" and were in a town of 18,000).  Between us in the "big city" and the town next door (about 7,000) there were 7 doctors who rotated "delivery duty" at the hospital.  Everyone within a 2-3 hour radius would have to drive into our town to have their babies.  They would be directed to come as soon as labour started.  Most towns either had no hospital, weren't equipped for delivery at all, or did not have 24 hour service.

I ended up almost having my baby with no doctor (the nurses said they had delivered without a doctor before) because I had an unexpectedly quick first delivery, and they had to call the duty doctor from the other town to come.

It can be fun/scary to live rurally.  I'm not sure what they do in small towns in the US, but it's certainly entertaining out here.....   8-}

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Alygohome said:
    I didn't even know you could elect to get a C-section .. the hospital I am delivering at doesn't even offer C-Sections, if there is an emergency you are airlifted to the nearest hospital that does them.. which it over an hour drive away.
    Really? I have never heard of a hospital that won't perform an emergency CS.
    I live in a rural area between three small towns, two of the small towns only have one room for delivery and the other one has two rooms. None of them have any surgery capabilities. If you have a high risk pregnancy you have to drive into one of the major city centres. But, they all have heli pads and if you have any complications they air lift you to the nearest city that can take you. I am in Canada so It might be different in rural areas here then in the US.

@Alygohome I lived rurally (in Canada - BC) when I delivered my first (luckily we lived in the "major urban centre" and were in a town of 18,000).  Between us in the "big city" and the town next door (about 7,000) there were 7 doctors who rotated "delivery duty" at the hospital.  Everyone within a 2-3 hour radius would have to drive into our town to have their babies.  They would be directed to come as soon as labour started.  Most towns either had no hospital, weren't equipped for delivery at all, or did not have 24 hour service.

I ended up almost having my baby with no doctor (the nurses said they had delivered without a doctor before) because I had an unexpectedly quick first delivery, and they had to call the duty doctor from the other town to come.

It can be fun/scary to live rurally.  I'm not sure what they do in small towns in the US, but it's certainly entertaining out here.....   8-}

Thats how my dad ended up delivering me in the hospital with a nurse! no doctor around! glad yours got there on time!
  • All of these responses are so judgmental. Some women are having their first and all of this is new to them. C-sections are major surgery but vaginal birth comes with risks as well. Albeit less risks for most women.
  • BAM61 said:
    All of these responses are so judgmental. Some women are having their first and all of this is new to them. C-sections are major surgery but vaginal birth comes with risks as well. Albeit less risks for most women.
    Oh FFS 
  • I can't come up with any logical, rational reason to elect to have major abdominal surgery when there's no medical indication. My own list that necessitate a c-section is rather short. So elective c-section is not a procedure I would advocate or encourage.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• BAM61 said:
    All of these responses are so judgmental. Some women are having their first and all of this is new to them. C-sections are major surgery but vaginal birth comes with risks as well. Albeit less risks for most women.

Ugh. I guess I'm judgmental then because I think having major surgery, any major surgery, that's not medically necessary is dumb. I can live with that label.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Empireceo said:
    BAM61 said:

Ugh. I guess I'm judgmental then because I think having major surgery, any major surgery, that's not medically necessary is dumb. I can live with that label.
    So do I. It's not my place to make them feel like shit about it. It's very mommy wars of you to do so. Do you also shame women that have elective cosmetic surgeries as well? I didn't have to be put under to have my wisdom teeth extracted, but I absolutely jumped at it because I didn't want to be awake for it. Should I also feel bad about that?

I DO think elective plastic surgery is dumb. But, I don't share that opinion unless someone asks. I can disagree with something without being vocal about it and still be a supportive friend. When a good friend due the day after me scheduled her elective c/s, I told her how excited I was that we could start an accurate countdown until her son was born. Likewise, she supported me as I prepared for an HBAC, even though I know she disagreed with it. Mommy wars aren't my bag.
    Anniversary 
  • You can discuss your opinions without calling other women idiots for posting a discussion topic. It just seems like many of the responses were harsh.
  • TLL84TLL84 member
    edited August 2014
    I am personally also thinking of having an planned c-section due to my first labor/delivery being a total nightmare. Pushing for 4 hours then being rushed to a larger hospital and having emergency foreceps. I couldn't walk or sit for months after. This time I am having a rough pregnancy with heart issues and major pelvic problems. I am leaning towards the section because at least I won't have all the stress of labor like last time. I realize it is major surgery and I had surgery 2 years ago to remove a softball size tumor that was attatched to my left ovary. I would rather have a sore belly than not be able to sit or walk for months after.
  • My friend has had 3 c sections (first was emergency and then just had repeats) but she said they were all fairly "easy". Recovered quickly, baby's were all healthy etc. Her biggest con was the scar and flap of skin that she can't seem to get rid of.... Obviously there are cons out there as the main one being it is major surgery. I just haven't heard from any of my friends who have had c sections that it was a particularly unpleasant experience for them. None of them were elective though.

My first (vaginal) birth was pretty horrific and painful but the second was pretty "by the book". Comparing my friends c section and my vaginal birth I feel like hers was "easier" and less "painful", certainly "shorter labor time" as in basically zero lol but everyone has their own experiences. Vaginal birth is definitely scary but C sections can be scary too... Our bodies are made to give birth vaginally.. C section you are cut open....

I think as long as you talk with your doctor and get your baby out safely it doesn't really matter HOW.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"