Breastfeeding

Nursing in an Ergo - Troubles

My little guy is 3months old now. I just started using the ergo with only the pillow, not the whole infant insert. When he was smaller I had been able to nurse him in the carrier fairly well, but now that he is getting bigger I'm really struggling. I have loosened the waist strap and the shoulder straps to help lower him, but it doesn't seem to be enough. He will latch on and suck for a little while then let go and cry/scream or pull off coughing and then cry/scream. I was trying to feed him while I was at Costco a couple weeks ago and he was doing this. I was about ready to rip the carrier off and nurse him in a cradle hold like I normally do. Plus my husbands grandmother was with me and now she insists on me using the stroller instead of the carrier any time we go out together. Any tips on how to do this better? What works for you? Could he just not like nursing in an upright position?

Re: Nursing in an Ergo - Troubles

• What worked with my LO was to not nurse her in the ergo when she was 3m old. I would do what your instincts first told you to do and take her out of the carrier, cradle and nurse her. When she was around 6m old and had better head control and could sit unsupported we tried nursing in the carrier again. I practiced at home in the mirror first. It took LO a few tries to get the hang of eating straight on instead of laying down to nurse, but now she is a pro. Sometimes she will even sit on my lap straddling me and nurse in the upright position.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• ^^ I agree with this.

At 3mo, it was much easier to just pull LO out of the carrier and nurse cradle-hold while walking around the store.  I also have no shame about nursing in public though, so I didn't need the feeling of privacy the carrier provides.

I'd definitely give your LO a little more time to get better head control to really catch on to nursing in the Ergo.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • Loading the player...
  • If you want to hands free nurse check out the koalakin

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He might just be too little still. 

Do you have a Moby? I had a bit of success with nursing in the Moby because I'd essentially use it to hold LO's body in a cradle position and I'd only need one arm to hold her (the arm supporting her head). It wasn't the most discreet, but it allowed me to be one-handed, and if I pulled my cardigan over my breast, no one was any the wiser.

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am glad to read this. I also tried @ 3 months and failed miserably.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"