March 2013 Moms
Options

Toddler bed and turning the car seat around

It seems like these things were just so far away! Now they're fast approaching? What are you plans? Some people do the toddler bed at 18 months. Our little beaver has destroyed his crib and continues to bite on it so sad to say we might be on the earlier side with the toddler bed. He hasn't tried to escape but he sleeps on a cot at daycare so he has experience. As for the car seat, I would love to hold out until 2 but am thinking of asking the pedi for advice. My DS tries to escape his seat and constantly turns to look at us and talk to us while we are driving (he is in the middle). It's becoming unsafe and I think car trips could be more pleasant if we just turned him. So what are your plans? And please everyone be respectful to others.

Re: Toddler bed and turning the car seat around

• Options
    holy cow I hadn't thought about either of these things yet!  DD is still doing fine in her crib, and really the car seat isn't an issue for us like you are describing, so I don't plan on doing either of these in the near future.

As for your car seat situation, just curious how it is unsafe?  Isn't he buckled in to where he really can't turn around to actually look at you?  We have a mirror so we can see DD from looking in the rear view mirror, and she will frequently look at us and wave, say Hi, etc, through the mirror.  That might help if you aren't ready to turn him yet!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • Options
    DS is still in a crib AND RFing, but we are considering a change for both in the near future.

Chances are he will be switched to FFing in the next few weeks when I rearranged our 3 carseats before my oldest starts school (I need her on the side his carseat currently is for drop-off/pick-up). I'll put it RFing first when I move things around, but I'm pretty sure everything is going to fit better if I turn him around.

As for toddler bed, we'll be buying him a mattress to put on the floor and eventually buying a frame to put it up on once he's good about it.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS is tight enough that he can't turn his body but he is turning his neck as far and it can go and staring at us and screaming the entire car ride. We have the mirror but he kicks it every time he sits in his car seat ( he is super tall) so we can't see each other.
  • Options
    Not from your board. But was lurking cause of the fake poster and saw this here.
    For the crib we switched at about 18 months when my son took a dive out of his crib. That day I changed it to the toddler bed. The transition took us a couple days. We put a baby gate at his door so he can not leave his room. He slept on the floor by the door and in his rocker recliner a couple times, but he moved himself to his bed at some point during the night or nap. After a couple days he stayed in his bed no problems. We did however, remove pretty much all things from his room as they were distracting him from bedtime. It may not go smoothly, but your LO will eventually transition okay. Do it when you either need to or when you think your LO is ready. Mine would still be in a crib, if he was not an escape artist.

As for the car seat. My son is now 2.5 years old. He is still RFing. He is 27lbs and 34ish inches. I have NO plans to change him to FFing anytime soon, as it is much safer for him to sit this way. He is not crammed or uncomfortable, we would know if he were. I can not see my son at all if he is in his seat properly whether I am driving or in the passenger seat. The seatbelt should be snug enough so you can not pinch the seat belt and chest buckle at armpit level. Our seat says can be RFing until 40lbs or until his head is 1 inch below the top of the headrest. If your LO likes the mirror, try moving it up higher so he can not kick it. You may have to fiddle with it and figure out a way to make the angle right.

Anyhow, most peds are now in the RF till age 2 camp, but many will say even more extended RFing is better. Law only states till your child is 1 years old, as of right now. Do research and make your decision from there. :) And yes for the record, I am a little car seat crazy. Only have to be on the scene of an infant fatality wreck to make you do your research once you have children. Good luck mamas! Just a little input from a Jan '12 mama. 
    *bumping under a new name since July 2014*
    Married 9/4/11
    BFP 4/5/09, EDD 12/4/09, m/c
     7/31/09
    BFP 5/27/11, EDD 1/17/12, DS born 1/16/12
    BFP 8/16/14, EED 4/29/15, We are having another BOY!

Lilypie Maternity tickers    image 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage
    Yup. DS is Tommy Pickles! Nothing like living with an escape artist.
    Just another cloth diapering, baby wearing mama.

• Options
    We switched DS2 to FF because he fought it too much. Now he happily goes into his carseat. I think he also wanted to be like his big brother. As far as the crib goes, he is fine in it. We will probably transition him out in a few months so he can get used to it before #3 arrives. 
  • Options
    A pedi is not one that I'd ask for car seat advice unless they are rear facing advocates. My pedi handed me a flier that said it's recommended to rf until 2 of until the child outgrows the car seat...that's all. My lo will rear face until there isn't all car seat that can hold him rf. It's just safer. I'm car seat crazy to, and wish that everyone were to lol.

We won't be transitioning to a toddler bed until we have #2 or potty train.
  • Options
    We turned carseat at 14 months because DS has long legs, it didn't seem comfortable. Plus, LO loves to look at daddy. DS was a headache each time we got in the car but once we turned the seat around we have much less fussing! As of toddler bed, I wish I could do it now DS is 16months but he tries to escape the crib so that wouldn't work for now! Good luck with your LO!
  • Options
    FWIW, I transitioned both my girls to toddler beds around 13 months and it was actually a breeze for us. The only reason we haven't transitioned DS is because I want to move him straight to a twin bed, and that's a larger investment than a toddler bed at the moment and we had a few things creep up that knocked buying a bed down a few pegs on our priority list.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

My DS keeps pulling his arms out of the straps in the car seat to lean over and get toys and look at me when driving. I have a mirror, but I guess that just isn't enough for him. I have tightened the seat belt straps to the point I can hardly get them on and he still figures out a way to get his arms out of the straps. I am not sure what to do with that. I just hope I never get pulled over (or anything else) when he has done.

;

• Options
    Jbunny100 said:

My DS keeps pulling his arms out of the straps in the car seat to lean over and get toys and look at me when driving. I have a mirror, but I guess that just isn't enough for him. I have tightened the seat belt straps to the point I can hardly get them on and he still figures out a way to get his arms out of the straps. I am not sure what to do with that. I just hope I never get pulled over (or anything else) when he has done.

I read in another post (can't remember where though...maybe on the 12-24m board?) that you can use a button up shirt over the straps to help with that...never tried it myself but sounds like it may be worth a shot!  I would be very nervous if my child could get out of the straps.
  • Options
    Do you have the chest clip at his armpits? My lo wouldn't be able to get his arms out at all we so the pinch test and the chest clip is at armpit level. ..not belly.
  • Options
    Jbunny100Jbunny100 member
    edited August 2014

@Nodoubtvw - I will try moving the clip up some

@MrsG071809 - would DS be wearing the button up shirt?

;

• Options
    Nodoubtvw said:
    Do you have the chest clip at his armpits? My lo wouldn't be able to get his arms out at all we so the pinch test and the chest clip is at armpit level. ..not belly.
    this is a good point! I don't think DD could get her arms out with the chest clip there.

Jbunny100 said:

@MrsG071809 - would DS be wearing the button up shirt?

I believe so... like I said I haven't tried it but I think DS wears the shirt, and then you just button it over the straps once he's in?  
  • Options
    I tried the chest clip today and that worked for one arm. He still wiggled his right arm out of the strap and then complained because that was not comfortable - go figure. At least I am getting closer to solving the problem. One arm down, one to go.

;

• Options
    Many people don't realize that the chest clip is suppose to be at armpit level. Also do you do the pinch test when you tighten? The straps are suppose to be tight enough that you can't pinch any slack the long ways on the strap. With mine lo there's no way he could get an arm out as tight as it needs to be. Csftl.org might have more tips to. It's scary to think about him getting arms out, I'd probably go crazy lol.
  • Options
    Here's a good link to check out! Csftl.org/tag/pinchtest
  • Options
    Oops here's the right one.

Csftl.org/tag/pinch-test/
  • Options
    ^^^wss!!! If the chest clip is where it should be and you can't pinch the straps (so it is in properly), that shouldn't be something you have I worry about.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    So I looked at another post and found a good website that showed how to properly place things in the car seat.  I wasn't getting the chest clip quite up to armpit level.  I swear I thought the hospital told us to put the clip as low as it would go which makes no sense.  Anyway, I have been really successful keeping his left arm in, but he squirms around and tries with all his might to get his right arm out - every time.  It is so frustrating.  Today he almost got his arm stuck trying to get it out of the strap.  I keep tightening the straps more and more to where there is no slack to pinch up.  This is driving me crazy!  I just want him to be safe. 

;

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"