2nd Trimester

elective c-section

Pros/cons

Thoughts?

Re: elective c-section

• my labors were too easy and fast to consider an elective one.  Is this your first child?  If so, you have NO idea how your labor is going to be.  Since I've never had a c section I can't speak for the recovery but my sister has had two.  After see her go through some of her things....like not lifting her baby...etc...I wouldn't elect to do one PRIOR to being in labor.  If the doctor said the best choice was c section then of course I'd listen.  Give yourself more credit...that's just my opinion.  I know those that have already had c section can elect to have another...like my sister.  That's a totally diferent story. Good luck on your decision.
  • Loading the player...
  • But guise! If she gets an elective c section they can do a tummy tuck then too. And she'll know her baby's birthday!

OP i would never elect for a c section unless it's medically required. It can be a difficult recovery not to mention it's major abdominalsurgery. Look up the risks and bbenefits of having a c section.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • As someone who had to have one I'd say there's nothing but cons for an elective one.
     TTC #1 since June 2008
    M/C @ 6 weeks 12/31/2008, Ectopic @ 6 weeks on 4/23/2010
    Diagnosed Unexplained 11/2009-DH is fine-I don't get AF
    Cycle #22 - 1/27/11 - IUI #1 & Injections - BFP! - DS born 11/11/11 
    TTC#2 - 2/24/14 - IUI & Injections - BFP! - EDD 11/29/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • nickiclnickicl member
    edited July 2014
    C section experience, like other birthing methods, vary. 

My c section was non emergency but necessary due to failure to induce. In my case, recovery was pretty easy and I was up walking, holding the baby, etc. the next day. I believe I spent 2 days post operation in the hospital. I requested early release (the standard would have been one more day). For me, there was no additional time off work for recovery and no impact to my ability to breastfeed.

Pros? The baby came out. 
     Once started, the procedure was over fairly quick. 

Cons? Some people look down on c sections, if that matters to you. 
    If you are planning to or may have lots of children, risk may increase after multiple c sections (however it is not uncommon for women to have 3 children by this method today)

Pro or con - you decide: 
    Additional time in hospital 
    Potential for additional pain medication to be necessary (depending on other methods considered and how that goes)
    Predictability 
    Potential to avoid labor Guaranteed incision/scar vs. risk of vaginal tearing
    Future deliveries may require c sections. 

That's about all I can think of right now. I hope you and your baby have a happy healthy start together!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @nickicl‌ You're kind of glossing over some of the cons, doncha think?

Not really, certainly not intentionally. I just tried to answer the original question. You are welcome to add your cons as well.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't disagree with the additional risk @darbie914 has mentioned that they are sometimes done early, although there are ways to minimize that risk such as waiting until after the due date if there is no medical reason to go in early.

Its true some c sections are unnecessary. Many things in the world are unnecessary. For me, that isn't a con. Each to their own.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • No pros.  Let the kid come on his/her own.

I would love to know your reasons for asking this question, though.
  • OP Please just please don't say because your scared of tearing and baby might be to big bc that's a stupid reason! An elective c-section, IMO is dumb. My mil had 4 kids vaginal, all over 9 lbs with my husband being the biggest at 10 lbs 13 oz 23 in long. She didn't even tear with him. I had an emergency c-section and it was AWFUL! Elective c-sections make my blood boil.
    @nickicl‌ ppl don't look down on you for having a c-section when it's medically necessary, they do for an elective c-section. Great you had an easy recovery, but you DONT need to talk about how glorious it is. Not everyone thinks that or has had a glorious experience like yours.
  • No. There are no pros especially if you plan on doing it early, it could accidentally be too early.

My Dr tried to talk me in to an elective c section when I was 41 weeks. No way.. So we compromised and I was induced at 41wks 6d. And even that made me uneasy, but I was told that after 42 weeks it starts to get riskier for baby and mom.

For the record though if your afraid of tearing/ baby being too big. I tore a lot, but the recovery wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Pain medication helps I'm not gonna lie, but I was only sore for about a week (and I elected to stay In the hospital for that week but only because we both had really low oxygen during delivery and his feet and hands kept turning blue) and then everything was back to normal.

Oh and as long as you do kegals of some sort giving birth vaginally won't seriously stretch you out.
    Supermom to my beautiful boys Troy Marshall and Griffin Xander 

Living the dream with my wonderful man :)
  • OP Please just please don't say because your scared of tearing and baby might be to big bc that's a stupid reason! An elective c-section, IMO is dumb. My mil had 4 kids vaginal, all over 9 lbs with my husband being the biggest at 10 lbs 13 oz 23 in long. She didn't even tear with him. I had an emergency c-section and it was AWFUL! Elective c-sections make my blood boil. @nickicl‌ ppl don't look down on you for having a c-section when it's medically necessary, they do for an elective c-section. Great you had an easy recovery, but you DONT need to talk about how glorious it is. Not everyone thinks that or has had a glorious experience like yours.

Just reporting on my own personal experiences and opinions.  Unfortunately, I have people in my life who have made me feel bad about my non-elective c section.  It was not what I would consider glorious.  But then, I'm not sure I consider any birthing methods glorious.  Babies, sure.

I specifically stated that people have different experiences and opinions about the pros vs cons.  Each to their own.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nothing but con. Why would you elect to have a major surgery for no medical reason?

Yep. That's my opinion.

Because we know babies are allll about being convenient & low maintenance! :-??

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• nickicl said:

OP Please just please don't say because your scared of tearing and baby might be to big bc that's a stupid reason! An elective c-section, IMO is dumb. My mil had 4 kids vaginal, all over 9 lbs with my husband being the biggest at 10 lbs 13 oz 23 in long. She didn't even tear with him. I had an emergency c-section and it was AWFUL! Elective c-sections make my blood boil.
    @nickicl‌ ppl don't look down on you for having a c-section when it's medically necessary, they do for an elective c-section. Great you had an easy recovery, but you DONT need to talk about how glorious it is. Not everyone thinks that or has had a glorious experience like yours.

Just reporting on my own personal experiences and opinions.  Unfortunately, I have people in my life who have made me feel bad about my non-elective c section.  It was not what I would consider glorious.  But then, I'm not sure I consider any birthing methods glorious.  Babies, sure.

I specifically stated that people have different experiences and opinions about the pros vs cons.  Each to their own.

Exactly you talked about how good your experience was and I agree with @sparklegrump that you glossed over some of the cons.
  • You really need to research what goes on during a C-section, what the recovery is like and maybe read some firsthand experiences. Even in the most ideal circumstances, with a quick recovery and no complications, CSs are not a "get out of labor" quick card. 

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I would never opt for an elective csection.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • mommy5point0mommy5point0 member
    edited July 2014
    OP, I was kinda in your shoes with my first. I won't lie... I was very young (19) and didn't give myself enough credit, didn't know as much about childbirth as I wish I had. I half jokingly talked about how I would welcome a c section because I was afraid of the pain/whatever.

After laboring longer than normal and failing to progress, paired with fetal distress, I got my c section... It fucking sucked. I was in pain from the 72 hours of labor in addition to recovery pain. What was worse was that after that one c section, no OB I consulted would agree to let me labor and give birth naturally when I became pregnant again 3 years later. I endured another CS... After those two, the choice was definitely no longer mine.

I'm now in my 5th pregnancy and so fkn sick of the "why can't you just have a baby like normal?" question. Because I fkn can't, that's why.

Plenty of women are able to go on and do VBACs, and I'm really jealous of them. It's just...c sections can be a slippery slope and the choice to give birth vaginally may be taken from you later based on one decision you make now. This is just my biased opinion.
  • kkhaneykkhaney member
    edited July 2014
    Jeez... I will never understand the need to be so hateful that so many of you have. I posted this bc I simply seen on my Facebook that a girl I knew had one. I did not even know that was an option. I did not at all say I was considering it. I was curious how many people did it. While you all were being hateful and judgmental and giving me some "very helpful info" (the pictures and stuff were absolutely helpful) I went ahead and just looked it up myself. I should have done that in the first place. My apologies for thinking this was a helpful forum where women can ask questions.

Thank you to the few of you who were not hateful and actually did give the pros and cons on the subject.
  • I saw no hate here. It looks like you got good advice/opinions and answered your question. And I agree with @MrsMuq‌ - if you could google it in the first place then I don't know why you didn't. It's not google.
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • kkhaneykkhaney member
    edited July 2014

Bc this wasn't hateful aditgirls picture was super sweet.

• kkhaneykkhaney member
    edited July 2014
  • kkhaneykkhaney member
    edited July 2014

Nothing but con. Why would you elect to have a major surgery for no medical reason?

Yep. That's my opinion.

Because we know babies are allll about being convenient & low maintenance! :-??
    Bc this wasn't hateful.. The last past. Got to love sarcasm
  • kkhaneykkhaney member
    edited July 2014
  • OP Please just please don't say because your scared of tearing and baby might be to big bc that's a stupid reason! An elective c-section, IMO is dumb. My mil had 4 kids vaginal, all over 9 lbs with my husband being the biggest at 10 lbs 13 oz 23 in long. She didn't even tear with him. I had an emergency c-section and it was AWFUL! Elective c-sections make my blood boil.

And this.. stupid.. people look down on you. Not that not judgmental at all.

And this..
  • And I can't post it but aditigirl post was extremely helpful.
  • kkhaney said:

And this..
    In all fairness, I only posted that because I thought that you posted this are weren't even going to come back to read the responses. You coulda been a troll. But whatever. Also I think that everyone's responses were perfectly valid and helpful and not hateful in any way.

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• I think I made it quite clear that I was not looking up medical info for myself to try and decide if it was right for me. I was only curious about how many people do it. Do not tell me people were not hateful. I have quoted some of these lovely ladies proving that statement wrong.
  • Please excuse the fact that I am not an avid
    'Forumer' but I was responding to Mrsmuq comment..
    I totally agree tho that is an absolute valid reason To be hateful.
    The brutally truthful ones are 'nothing but con' or 'why elect to have major surgery' or even ' let the kid cook'. And the ones who actually gave info about it those were brutally honest.

Unfortunately I have to go make a living now. And I don't have time to banter with you lovely ladies any longer.

Have a spectacular day!
  • TwiggymommyTwiggymommy member
    edited August 2014
    Guise GUISE she has to go make a living now.... Because no one else on tb works....

No but seriously... No one was being hateful @kkhaney‌ . You asked for opinions,... And you know what they say.... There like assholes.... Everyone has them... If you didn't want to hear ours you shouldn't have asked

• @katehgee‌ lol I'm sorry I'll edit that... I'm on mobile, and bfing and exhausted I must have misread

• katehgee said:

@katehgee‌ lol I'm sorry I'll edit that... I'm on mobile, and bfing and exhausted I must have misread

No worries, I just don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to take my baby out before he's good and ready ;)
    Haha gotcha!

• Coulda saved the banter if you just googled your stupid question yourself and kept it private.

However. I would hope the results would come up the same. Don't do it unless medically necessary.
  • OP is too vague..... there are too many variables to the "elective c-section" decision. Reasons that may not be the best is scheduling, fear of tearing, too pretty to push, etc. and then some reasons that might be more understandable like previous horrible experience, medical issues, soldier hubby going to get shipped off and you want him to be there for the birth ..... But seeing as the OP didn't give any reasons for the thoughts leads me to believe that they didn't actually want advice. So I kinda smell a troll. I will say that I believe that the decision is such a personal one that what makes me mad is how judgmental people get of others on both sides of the fence. There is no way to know where anyone's thoughts and feelings on the subject come from so slapping someone down for whatever their choice is is just harsh. Giving ones opinion, point of view and inside experience is great, but not when there is a slap accompanying it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I didn't even know you could elect to get a C-section .. the hospital I am delivering at doesn't even offer C-Sections, if there is an emergency you are airlifted to the nearest hospital that does them.. which it over an hour drive away.
  • I didn't even know you could elect to get a C-section .. the hospital I am delivering at doesn't even offer C-Sections, if there is an emergency you are airlifted to the nearest hospital that does them.. which it over an hour drive away.
    Really? I have never heard of a hospital that won't perform an emergency CS.
    I live in a rural area between three small towns, two of the small towns only have one room for delivery and the other one has two rooms. None of them have any surgery capabilities. If you have a high risk pregnancy you have to drive into one of the major city centres. But, they all have heli pads and if you have any complications they air lift you to the nearest city that can take you. I am in Canada so It might be different in rural areas here then in the US.
  • I felt like I failed in my only duty as a woman by not being able to deliver my son vaginally. It took a lot of mental healing for me to get over not doing the one thing my body was supposed to have been built for. Millions of women have delivered babies vaginally, with or without medication, since the dawn of time. If you are scared of delivery, just think of everyone who did it before you, and remember those who want nothing more than to be able to do it but cannot. It is selfish for you to simply elect to have a c/s because you are scared of the pain, or tearing, or pooping in front of a room full of people.
    F15 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Decoration Fails

Natalie Ann is on her way!
     BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"