Parenting
Options

Mirena removal woes part III (warning: TMI)

So I posted last week that I had my Mirena removed after 3 years due to problems with high blood pressure. I had a difficult removal (dr couldn't find strings and had to dig around with forceps... Fun). I was glad to have it out and be done with it. My GYN just removed it and had no discussion of after effects, etc. 2 days later AF started. Worst, heaviest AF if my life. 6 days later I am still bleeding as heavy as day one (one super tampon or pad per hour pretty much), with huge chunks of clots/tissue (so sorry for the TMI) with no slowing at all. I had to leave work twice due to bleeding through a tampon and a pad (to go home and change). I am pretty upset that my dr did not have any discussion about this with me. I guess I should have researched more myself, but if have been caught up with all of the blood pressure monitoring, etc and didn't, and I really feel like my dr dropped the ball. I called the office nurse to see if she felt I needed to be seen again and she said "this heavy period may be the new normal for you. Just wait it out. You may want to go on the pill so that you can have lighter periods". (Yeah, I told her that my GP wanted me off hormones due to the high BP). I have been doing some reading on the internet and it seems a lot of women have a "Mirena crash" and suffer a while host of symptoms from migraines to depression, etc due to the sudden drop in hormones. I get that, but just feel a dr should have a discussion about this! Also, I read on Mirena website (after the fact) that dr's should tell patients not to have sex for several days before removal because sperm stay in your system and you could get KU. Why didn't my GYN mention this? I truly blame myself for not doing more research, but I am upset with the doc too. I am so run down from all of this bleeding (and traumatized from being on leak watch). Just hoping it ends soon. So sorry for the wall of text and the tl;dr. I am venting/ranting from my iPad and forget how to break up the paragraphs.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Mirena removal woes part III (warning: TMI)

• Options
    I'm sorry that sounds horrible!  I think you should insist on seeing your OB about this.  I've never heard of it being that heavy after removal.  I'm on my 3rd Mirena right now, and both times I've had it removed it wasn't what I'd call heavy.  Maybe it's worse from all the digging around he had to do?  

I hope you feel better soon!  

2 Beautiful Boys 11.7.03 & 4.23.13
  • Options
    momtosammomtosam member
    edited July 2014
    Yup. Thankfully my OB warned me that I would have crazy bleeding after removal and it would take a couple cycles to tame down. I have not had too many other side effects. My 3rd period was back to somewhat norm for me. 6 days. Several lights, a couple medium, and a couple heavy days. Hope it gets better for you!! I would be pissed that my OB did not give good information and warnings upon having it removed. 

ETA : To finish thought. Hit send too soon. 
    *bumping under a new name since July 2014*
    Married 9/4/11
    BFP 4/5/09, EDD 12/4/09, m/c
     7/31/09
    BFP 5/27/11, EDD 1/17/12, DS born 1/16/12
    BFP 8/16/14, EED 4/29/15, We are having another BOY!

Lilypie Maternity tickers    image 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage
    Yup. DS is Tommy Pickles! Nothing like living with an escape artist.
    Just another cloth diapering, baby wearing mama.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for responding ladies. It's good to hear that what I am experiencing is in the norm (it's actually REALLY comforting to hear this). I had used an OB GYN for years and loved him, but switched right before having DD because I wanted someone closer to my house (so that I could deliver at a local hospital). But I will be going back to my old, trusted GYN now. A plan to make an appt early next week if the bleeding doesn't slow down. Thank you soooo much for responding.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    pinkittypinkitty member
    edited July 2014
    Am I wrong, or isn't Mirena non hormonal??

• Options
    pinkittypinkitty member
    edited July 2014
    Am I wrong, or isn's Mirena non hormonal??
    piffley said:
    pinkitty said:
    You're wrong @pinkitty. Paraguard is the non-hormonal one
    OMG!! My OB sold me on Mirena because it was non hormonal! I feel so violated! I got it after I had my son and my OB said that it's non hormonal so that I can breastfeed with it!  YIkes!!

• Options
    pinkitty said:
    Am I wrong, or isn's Mirena non hormonal??
    piffley said:
    pinkitty said:
    You're wrong @pinkitty. Paraguard is the non-hormonal one
    OMG!! My OB sold me on Mirena because it was non hormonal! I feel so violated! I got it after I had my son and my OB said that it's non hormonal so that I can breastfeed with it!  YIkes!!
    You can breast feed with Mirena.

• Options
    piffley said:
    My OB wouldn't insert Mirena while BF, but I know many do. When I had my first one after DS (so 9 years ago) they were not recommending it while BF.
    OB's are so different.  After I had my son 10 years ago my OB suggested the mirena since I was breast feeding.   But, my sisters OB will not insert the Mirena at all ever, I'm not sure what his reasoning is. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"