Attachment Parenting

Bedsharing Safety Question: WWYD?

Emerald27Emerald27 member
edited July 2014 in Attachment Parenting
Hi, ladies!

So when DS was born, we took away our bedframe and put the mattress directly on the floor to bedshare safely. We've since bought a new bed frame, and it is this one from IKEA:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Now I'm due with LO2 in October, and DH and I have begun to discuss sleeping arrangements. Our bed cannot be easily pushed against the wall because of the odd shape of our bedroom, so the bed comes directly out of the middle of the wall.

DH has proposed removing the slats and dropping the mattress onto the floor INSIDE the bed frame. As you can see, the mattress is just a little bit taller than the bottom of the frame wall, so there will be a 6"+ "wall" of frame surrounding the mattress on all sides.

As long as it's a snug fit so that baby couldn't somehow get stuck between the mattress and bed frame, is this a safe sleeping arrangement? Could this potentially be ideal because it would prevent rolling off the mattress?

I hope I've explained this idea correctly. :/ If it's just not safe, we can break down the bed frame. DH is just concerned because in this house, we really have nowhere to store it...
imageimage

Re: Bedsharing Safety Question: WWYD?

• That sounds safe enough, it just might be hard to make the bed, awkward to get in and out of.

Are you opposed to a bed rail?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • That sounds safe enough, it just might be hard to make the bed, awkward to get in and out of.

Are you opposed to a bed rail?

Not opposed to a bedrail, but without a box spring (we had to get rid of ours because it didn't fit up the stairs of our townhouse), a bedrail won't fit. The mattress rests down in the frame on slats, and there isn't a way to secure a traditional bedrail underneath it.

It would be a pain to get sheets on and off...we would have to do it together, and one person would have to lift the mattress while the other put on the sheets!

So safe yes but a PITA too. Hmmm...
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Wouldn't thT 6 in create a place for baby to get caught & suffocate? We have co slept successfully for 8 m and our bed is a few feet off the ground. My kid is like a magnet though. If I roll an inch, so does she
  • Wouldn't thT 6 in create a place for baby to get caught & suffocate? We have co slept successfully for 8 m and our bed is a few feet off the ground. My kid is like a magnet though. If I roll an inch, so does she

This is my question. It's kind of equivalent to having the mattress against the wall, though. KWIM? So if it's safe to (or even recommended to!) push your mattress against the wall, wouldn't this be safe too?

I want to really think carefully about our sleeping arrangements to keep them as safe as can be. :)
    imageimage
  • Especially for infants I prefer no bed rail. To me it's just another entanglement hazard and I think there's less risk from falling off the bed.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Looks safe to me! Kind of a PITA, but safe.
  • I would just buy a twin mattress from IKEA and sleep on that w the baby, and keep the bed as it is. I don't think the space between the frame and mattress would be safe enough. Can you store the frame at a friend or relative's? Pay for a small storage space for it?
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"