3rd Trimester

Getting Low Kick Counts and Increased Cramping..?

KatieG25KatieG25 member
edited July 2014 in 3rd Trimester
I am 30 weeks pregnant and have been getting cramps for about the past week. This I've thought was normal, but on Friday as I was going to sit down, I got a really bad cramp/pain in my right side. Since then, I have noticed increased cramping and pains particularly on my right side. Additionally, I have noticed that my baby is much less active than normal. He usually moves a lot, especially in the mornings and evenings. Lately, he has been moving less than he normally does, but still within the 'healthy' or 'normal' range for kick counts (10 in an hour at least once a day is what my doctor said). He doesn't move in the mornings much anymore, and moves less in general. I have no idea if these two things (the pains and less movement) are even linked, or anything to worry about. I've heard changes in movement patterns can be normal, and that cramping is common as well. Anyone know what could be going on? Should I be concerned? My next doctors appointment is a week away. Should I wait until then, or call as soon as possible?

Re: Getting Low Kick Counts and Increased Cramping..?

• I would go on and call them. Cramping can be a sign of pre-term labor and I was told to call if there was decreased fetal movement. 

TTC #1 Since October 2012
    DX PCOS May 2013
    Clomid 50-150mg- No Response
    Moved to RE October 2013
    Nov. 2013: IUI #1 Letrozole + Ovidrel = BFN
    Dec. 2013: IUI #2 Letrozole + Ovidrel= BFP on 1/8/2014 !! EDD 9/17/2014
    Beta #1 (12 dpo): HCG 27, Progesterone 15 (starting on supplements)
    Beta #2 (15 dpo): HCG 297, Progesterone 29
    Beta #3 (17 dpo): HCG 667, Progesterone 34
    1st Ultrasound 1/28 (6 weeks + 1) Baby measuring exactly as it should, HB 118!
    2nd Ultrasound 2/5 Baby measuring 7w4d, HB 133. Everything looks perfect!
    3rd Ultrasound 4/29 (A/S) Our Baby BOY is measuring perfectly and everything looked great! HB160
    Diagnosed with Pre-E at 36 weeks, placed on bed rest, induction schedule for 37 weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 on 7/30/15 EDD 4/7/16 MC @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3 on 7/23/16 EDD 3/30/16
  • Call your doc! You may have torn something. Better safe than sorry.
  • Loading the player...
  • Dude, if you're worried call the damn doctor. Seriously I don't understand the hesitation.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • I don't know if I should be worried is the thing. I've heard that what I'm experiencing could be normal, and I didn't want to call my doctor if it was something that naturally happens. No need to be snotty.
  • KatieG25 said:
    I don't know if I should be worried is the thing. I've heard that what I'm experiencing could be normal, and I didn't want to call my doctor if it was something that naturally happens. No need to be snotty.
    What's the worst your doctor can do? Tell you not to worry? I just don't understand the hesitation. There's no such thing as "should" or "shouldn't" when it comes to worrying...If you're worried enough to ask strangers, you're worried enough to ask your doctor.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

S14 August Siggy Challenge.....ALL OF THE ALCOHOLS

• I asked simply because I didn't know if it was a reason to worry, not because I was worried. I am 19 years old and have no one else to ask when I don't know what's going on or what to do or whats abnormal. I just didn't want to call and bother my doctor if it was something totally normal. I scroll through the posts and articles on here and find out things that I had NO IDEA came with being pregnant! I am clueless about this stuff, and didn't realize asking an innocent question about if something was normal would cause so much unwarranted negativity. Now I know for the future not to bother asking questions on here to spare myself from random strangers' ridicule.
  • I'm 37 with my first child. It's an incredible amount of info to be exposed to and not every pregnancy is the same.( I've posted on here a few times and had some sh*tty comments/responses before too. But I've also had some great and informative responses! ) If anything is suddenly different, no matter how trivial it may seem, call your dr's office and let them decide how urgent it is. That is what they are there for. It's better that it be nothing serious instead of waiting and finding out that you should have done something sooner.
  • I don't post here often.  I too got alot of negativity from this public forum.  It is ok to ask questions.  The only dumb thing you can do is to not ask.  Please, call your doctor and ask him or her.  It will ease your mind.   Don't be afraid of calling too much.  That is what they are there for.    I had my first at 19 also and was too scared to ask about anything.  With my second I asked everything.  With this one, I still ask if something does not feel right.   Make the call and ease your mind.  The doctor will let you know when it is time to be worried. 
    Our Little Miracle - Raymond Clifford Jr Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • leela02leela02 member
    edited July 2014
    If you notice a decrease in movement you should let your doctor know right away and explain to him/her what is going on. 

Don't hesitate to call your doctor. You wouldn't be bothering him/her because it's his/her job to address your concerns if something doesn't feel normal to you. The earlier you ask, the more the doctor can do to take care of you if there is a problem. It's better to have a false alarm and feel dumb than waiting until it's too late to treat a complication. Only a medical professional can tell you if you have an urgent situation or not.

Generally speaking, cramps can be caused by dehydration (they go away if you drink more water), strenuous activity (they go away if you rest), or they can be Braxton Hicks contractions. Braxton Hicks (which are normal) and early premature labor can be hard to tell apart! So when in doubt you should ask your doctor. Side pain can be caused by various things, so you would have to ask your doctor to get that sorted out ASAP.

Seriously a response from your doctor would be a lot more reassuring than anything you'll find here. You will find that no one here will want to give you medical advice (telling you not to worry because it sounds normal counts) because that would be irresponsible and unsafe for you and your baby. Every pregnancy is different, so there's no way I can know what is normal for you. I do wish you the best and hope everything turns out fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"