Baby Showers
Options

Favors?

We've been discussing whether or not to have favors for the guests.  I don't expect a favor when I go to a shower, but they are a nice touch.  We are trying to be somewhat mindful of the budget too.  So, favors - yes or no?  And if yes, any neat ideas?  Thanks!

Re: Favors?

• Options
    Good idea...don't know many people who don't like cookies!  Thanks!
  • Options

Another vote for edible favors.

Not sure of your budget, but I do love the "candy buffet" tables.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks!  Lindt chocolates would be good.  Candy buffet as well, but will have to see what the budget permits!
  • Options

i like either a candy buffet or small potted flowers.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    The showers I've been to have always had small favors, recently one had bags of popcorn that said "about to pop" on them, and one had small bottles of hand sanitizer. I wouldn't have really cared if there weren't favors but I know a lot of people do.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Edible favors are always welcome. My best friend also did nail polish for her sister's shower. OPI apparently has nail colors called its a girl and its a boy. Depending on your budget, this is something a little different.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think favors are a must- I agree that edible favors are always a good route. If not edible, something someone may actually use is a must. I would suggest doing a web search or pinterest search.

For my bridal shower, my SIL made handmade cupcake towels that turned out adorable. There are so many different things you can make from hand towels and its fairly cheap too. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I don't think favors are a must either. I think they're a nice extra touch, but not a necessity.
  • Options
    Thanks so much --- these are all great ideas!  I also found, on Martha's website, pretty paper cones filled with candy and embellished with ribbon, etc.  Decision time!
  • Options
    My mom is throwing my shower and she absolutely hates parties and all the chintz so she refuses to do favors. I think favors (preferably edible) are a must but I just cant get her to see the light. 
  • Options
    tilelady85, would it upset your Mom if you provided the favors yourself, as a personal thank you to your guests from you and baby?  I don't see anything wrong with it, personally.  Just a thought...
  • Options
    I offered and my SIL offered to take care of the favors and she is really adamant about not having them. So this may just be a battle I won't fight. 
  • Options
    I don't think you have to have favors, but I edible favors so no one feels like they have to hold on to the favor.  Cookies seem to go over really well.  I like the popcorn idea I saw above as well; may be a more cost effective approach.  Hand sanitizer also sounds great if the budget permits.  A silly idea, but soap favors at a shower always make me giggle.
  • Options
    A nice cookie. Always a crowd pleaser.
    Ditto this.  I like to bake, and homemade cookies are cheap enough that I won't be offended knowing that many people will toss them right in the garbage (which is where I suspect most favors wind up.)

I have several different cookie cutters that I have acquired as a result of baking cookies as baby shower favors over the years.  The duck is the most recognizable when baked.  Wilton makes a baby foot cookie cutter, which seems adorable, but winds up looking like a chimpanzee's foot or a pork chop.

In your situation, if you can't get your mom to see the light, it'll be fine to skip the favors.  If you're really worried about the etiquette, make a plate of cookies and put them out after the cake, while the gifts are being opened.  As people say goodbye, offer them a cookie for the road, but don't put them in baggies and hand around one to each person.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    My sister just called(she is doing my favors and invitations) and we talked about different kinds we have liked and disliked.  I think little hand sanitizers from Bath and Body works are awesome.  There are different variations of tags you can put on them and they are only $1 a piece.  I also thought of doing a small 4 oz mason jar with home made sugar scrub in it with a small fabric square over the lid tied with a ribbon.  They are all cheaper ideas and something most women may use.  We might actually end up doing both tied together.  We haven't decided.
    D14 - Free For All
    In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

• Options
    Another vote for anything edible. I purchased favor bags on eBay (so much cheaper!!!) and filled them with the after dinner mints. No favors were "left behind".
  • Options
    neverblushedneverblushed member
    edited July 2014
    MandJS said:
    A nice cookie. Always a crowd pleaser.
    Ditto this.  I like to bake, and homemade cookies are cheap enough that I won't be offended knowing that many people will toss them right in the garbage (which is where I suspect most favors wind up.)

I have several different cookie cutters that I have acquired as a result of baking cookies as baby shower favors over the years.  The duck is the most recognizable when baked.  Wilton makes a baby foot cookie cutter, which seems adorable, but winds up looking like a chimpanzee's foot or a pork chop.

In your situation, if you can't get your mom to see the light, it'll be fine to skip the favors.  If you're really worried about the etiquette, make a plate of cookies and put them out after the cake, while the gifts are being opened.  As people say goodbye, offer them a cookie for the road, but don't put them in baggies and hand around one to each person.
    NO. Etiquette dictates her hostess handles all aspects of the shower. Her hostess has made it clear she is not a fan of favors. There is no "rule" requiring a party host to give favors to guests on their way out the door. Just, drop it. No one will notice. It's not a big deal in the slightest.
    Understood.  But in this situation aren't the OP and the mom co-hostesses of this shower?  I was thinking that the OP and the MTB are sisters, and the shower is being co-hosted by OP and their mom.  So this is a dispute between co-hostesses.

So let me clarify: OP, if you're the MTB, just chill and don't worry about favors.  That's on your mom. If you're the co-hostess, maybe setting out a plate of cookies will be a middle ground that will appease guests who expect a favor and not ruffle your mom's feathers too much.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"