December 2014 Moms
Options

Question for STMs

I guess this is more of a birth control after pregnancy question. I haven't seen any posts on here about it, but how soon after you give birth can you take birth control again? I've heard some outside opinions but would like to hear some from you gals :) What did you decide to do after the first LO?

Hope everyone is enjoying a relaxing lazy Sunday :)

Re: Question for STMs

• Options
    nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited July 2014
    Usually you start after your 6wk appointment. I nursed both boys and my OB suggested the mini pill till like 6 months then a stronger method after that I believe.

ETA: I lied. 6wks for sure before you get anything. And depending on if you are nursing and what kind of BC you want, will depend on when after. They like to wait till a little bit later for a hormonal BC because it can effect milk supply if you are nursing.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They say no sex until after your 6week PP checkup but not everyone waits.

My OB doesn't like the mini pill. It's not as effective and has to be taken at the exact same time everyday. If I really wanted it she would have prescribed but I was ok with a low dose combo pill. I was breast feeding but by 6 weeks my supply was established and didn't have any issues.

Since we are done with two, I'm thinking about long term options this time. Not ready for permanent yet.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • Options
    How long do you wait for something like an IUD? I'm a failure at regular pills so it's my BC of choice. 
    In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

How long do you wait for something like an IUD? I'm a failure at regular pills so it's my BC of choice. 

I *think* it depends. If it's paraguard, which in nonhormonal they can do it on or shortly after your 6wk appointment.

It also depends on your OB, like @AllTheTeaInChina‌ said.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    I was already getting my first period at my 6 week PP checkup so I started then.
    photo 7ce353dd-36ff-42be-84c5-8548c1d4fa1cjpg
    BFP #1 11/28/09 ~ EDD 8/6/10 ~ DS Born 8/9/10
    BFP #2 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/8/14 ~ Natural MC 9/18/13 at 6 weeks, 6 days
    BFP#3 3/28/14 ~ EDD 12/7/14 ~ DD Born 11/21/14
    BFP#4 6/15/17 ~ EDD 2/20/18
  • Options
    I did not go back on BC at all. My recovery required me to have n sex for almost 6 months. Then we used condoms. I got my first period around 8 months PP and then got pregnant when DS was 13 months.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    my OB asked me at my 6 week pp apt if I wanted my IUD that day.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    We do natural family planning and that worked out really well for us. It worked when it need to!
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • Options
    I hate hormonal BC and know too many people who have had IUD issues, so we used condoms until my period came back and then used charting with condoms during fertile window only until we were ready to TTC #2.

D14 November Siggy Challenge - How I Feel 3rd Tri:
    imageimageimageimage

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I had the Paraguard IUD put in at my 6 week pp appt.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Here to echo the 6 weeks previously stated. I got a Mirena IUD inserted at my 6 week checkup with the midwife. This time I am not getting that again because I hated it, and it was REALLY hard to get my cycle back to normal after removal to TTC. We are not sure if we will want a third, but if we decide we do a year or so aftwr this baby is born I would like to be able to TTC right away instead of having three month long cycles for most of a year again.....
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Krisx2Krisx2 member
    I had the mirena inserted at 6 weeks postpartum. It was really a hassle to insert though because my uterus is retroverted. It took the OB over an hour and she ended up having to use an ultrasound to figure out the placement. After that unpleasant experience, I did enjoy the freedom of the mirena. It really helped with my painful menses and I didn't have to worry about taking a pill. I think we are finished after this baby is born and DH is going to get a vascetomy. I want to be done with the hormonal birth control scene. 

Mio Marito per Sempre: Married 2009. SD is 12 yrs. DD is 4 yrs.

DS born 12/29/14

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    At my 6 week check up after my c section I had Mirena put in. I will be having my tubes tied during this c section.

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

PgAL : 04/2013 BFP - mmc/d&c  : 12/2013 BFP - chemical pregnancy

• Options
    We do natural family planning and that worked out really well for us. It worked when it need to!
    We waited 6 weeks (until my OB cleared me for sex), then I got a prescription for the mini-pill but never filled it.  We ended up using condoms then NFP.  Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of hormonal birth control.  It worked well for us and we got pregnant again exactly when we wanted to!
  • Options
    I used paragard and will again at 6 weeks.
    Audrey- December 2009
    Owen- April 2011
    Olivia- Due December 24th
  • Options
  • Options
    At 6 weeks into recovery, I was cleared for normal activites of sorts but my Dr did not recommend the mini pill because of lower effectiveness and the need to take at the same time every day. I cannot keep that up in the best of circumstances, certainly not for me on low sleep, tending for a newborn.

I know the risk of pregnancy while exclusively breastfeeding (as I was) is not as high as for those who are not feeding or combination, but I was not willing to take the chance.

We opted for condoms. I suppose I'm in some minority but I like condoms because there is less mess.

I went back on my original bc pill after about 9 months when I was no longer breastfeeding.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think it was my 6 week follow-up appointment when I started bc pills again.  I wanted to continue nursing (which I did for a little over 2 years with my first daughter!), so my OB put me on the mini-pill (progresterone only) so that my milk supply will not be impacted.  It worked great but you have to be much more vigilant about taking that pill at the same time each day than with bc pills that also contain estrogen.

• Options

We did NFP between DD and this baby since we knew we wanted them close together. I'm not entirely sure what we'll do after this baby. I REALLY don't want to go back on birth control, but I'm also not a fan of IUD's. However, IF we have another baby, we'll likely want them further apart so I'm not sure I want to do NFP for 2+ years.

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"