Preemies

Baby born at 34 weeks. What should I expect as far as development?

My son was born June 26 at 34 weeks. He had no health complications and was only in the NICU for 6 days. It has now been one month since he was born, but we have not yet reached my due date of Aug 6. I have no clue as to what to go by as far as milestones. There are plenty of sites that list them for 1 month olds but nothing for preemies. I know every baby is different but is it certain that he will have some delays? Any of your preemies that didnt?

Re: Baby born at 34 weeks. What should I expect as far as development?

• Congrats! I had my twins at 34w on June 26 of last year :)

They spent 13 days in the NICU as feeders and growers. For my boys, they hit milestones at adjusted age in the beginning. Somewhere between 6 and 9mo, they started hitting milestones at actual age.

It seemed like forever until they first smiled!

• =Lee=B=Lee=B member

My husband was born at 34 weeks.  Zero complicatons early on, he went through school in the gifted program and he is an engineer now.

Our daughter was born 35w0days.  No complications at birth, spent a half day in the NICU for check up.  She has been developing at or ahead of due date age.

My recommendation is to use the adjusted age for all milestones so you are not stressing yourself out.  If baby is happy and healthy then try not to get caught up in timing of milestones and don't borrow trouble.  There is no guarantee that your baby will have delays just give baby time to develop.  Keep an eye on things if you note some delays to be proactive but don't be expecting them.

I run a home daycare with 5 toddlers.  All born perfectly healthy (though my daughter a late-term preemie).  Of all the kids some were walking just before a year others didn't start until after 16months.  Some have 2-3 words now at 20months and others have well over 50 words (including 2 word sentences) at 16months. 

The range of normal is soooooo vast you just have to roll with it :-)  Support there development as best you can but don't push it.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks Every one! Very helpful info :) 
  • mmookimmooki member
    Dd was born at 33w3d and spent 12 days in the nicu. Some things she hit at her actual age and some things she hit at her adjusted age. She sort of followed her own pattern. At 2.5 she is all caught up
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JayBzoJayBzo member
    My little guy was also born at 34 weeks and is now 7 weeks/1 week adjusted. I have been wondering the same thing and only time will tell I guess... we have just started with more eye contact, but still no smiles etc. He is also still very sleepy and sleeping a lot of the day. We were also told to go by adjusted timeline, so I am expecting another month or so before we see smiles etc. PM me if you ever need to talk!

• DS was born April 27 at 34 weeks and is now just over 3 months old.  He's been doing things a little behind his actual age, but a little before his adjusted age...sort of a balance between the two.  I know the doctors said he would catch up for sure by the time he is a toddler.  It doesn't stress me out and I wouldn't worry about it unless he is behind adjusted age and you are not noticing important developments.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DD was a 34 weeker and in the NICU for 15 days. She had torticollis and plagiocephaly for which she received PT and wore a helmet for 3 months. She crawled at 9 months and walked at 13 months (actual). She has just a few words and pedi sent her to speech therapy, although it seems a bit overkill at her age. But, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Other than the speech she is a completely on track 14 month old.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• My son was born at 34w6d and stayed in a NICU for 2.5 weeks.  Since milestones are sort of rough averages anyway and he was a late-term preemie, he wasn't really significantly delayed for anything.  He was a little earlier on some milestones and a little later on others, but did everything so far within the normal range.  I'm sure that's the same for full term babies too.  Just use the books as general guidelines, give him a little extra time to catch up from being a preemie, and don't stress about anything until your pediatrician tells you there is reason to worry.  Kids are individuals and they all grow and progress in different areas at slightly different rates, so there's no need to freak out if they don't sit or crawl or clap exactly when the book says.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes :) Thanks all guess I was just worring for no reason! Im just gonna enjoy this extra newborn time I get with my LO :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"