Parenting after 35

Keeping Diaper Pail Fresh

I've been keeping a box of baking soda in the bottom of our diaper pail, but it only keeps the bathroom fresh for a week. Can any of you recommend some natural ways to keep the diaper pail smelling acceptable?

TIA!

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Keeping Diaper Pail Fresh

• We have the Arm and Hammer diaper pail. We got a different one (I hate buying those stupid bags) and almost died. Seriously, the A&H pail is a plastic miracle. We have 3 of them. One in each kiddo's room and one downstairs by the changing spot in the laundry room.
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly, we threw them out every day. 
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Ilumine said:
    Honestly, we threw them out every day. 
    Ugh I wish I could do this. We send our diapers out to be composted, so I usually wait until the last minute to tie up the bag and set it on our porch.

• Ilumine said:
    Honestly, we threw them out every day. 
    Ugh I wish I could do this. We send our diapers out to be composted, so I usually wait until the last minute to tie up the bag and set it on our porch.
    I am pretty green...except when it comes to diapers.  While I used biodegradable diapers and biodegradable garbage bags, that is pretty much it.   No cloth, no composting...

I would throw them away in an outside garbage pail as soon as I was done changing the baby and be done with it.  And when my DD was 9mo, we moved to Europe, where the rules on garbage were different. 

• Not sure if you already do this but flushing the poop down the toilet helps.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • jllmb79 said:
    Not sure if you already do this but flushing the poop down the toilet helps.
    I didn't think about that. Thanks @jllmb79!

• @Ilumine‌ what the what??? They make biodegradable trash bags?? Where can I find some and how expensive are they?
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • @Guennie: If @llumine and I use the same bags, I get them at the hardware store or grocery store. Mine are called Biobags. We use them for composting and our compostable diaper service. I should use them for our regular garbage, too.

• Awesome! I'm going to look for those!
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • I used green legacy from Amazon.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"